DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Zoom capability - WOW!

First of all, the only x7 zoom is a real optical zoom, the rest are digital crops.
For me, there should be an option in which I choose whether I want to use only the optical zoom, skipping the rest of the digital crop.
There is no optical zoom.
There are two fixed focal length lenses, one with 7x magnification
The second thing is that a focal length of 162 mm of a lens for a camera with the 1/2" sensor (crop factor of 5.4) is equivalent to 876.1 mm field of view for a camera with the 35mm full-frame sensor.
We have 876 mm on a device that is constantly maneuvering in the air and we are able to get a sharp image in which there is no lack of detail.
In my opinion, what DJI has done with the zoom lens is amazing.
It's not a zoom lens.
The tele lens on the Mavic 3 has a 35mm equivalent focal length of 162mm.
If you use the 4x digital zoom, that gives a 35mm equivalent of 648 mm.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
First of all, the only x7 zoom is a real optical zoom, the rest are digital crops.
For me, there should be an option in which I choose whether I want to use only the optical zoom, skipping the rest of the digital crop.

The second thing is that a focal length of 162 mm of a lens for a camera with the 1/2" sensor (crop factor of 5.4) is equivalent to 876.1 mm field of view for a camera with the 35mm full-frame sensor.
We have 876 mm on a device that is constantly maneuvering in the air and we are able to get a sharp image in which there is no lack of detail.
In my opinion, what DJI has done with the zoom lens is amazing.
Your numbers are way off. The so called 7x (the 7x is only relative to the 24mm wide angle MFT lens, which is considered 1x) telephoto lens has a focal equivalent of 162mm on a full frame 35mm sensor, which is slightly over a true 3x binocular when compared to a 50mm normal lens. Slightly over 3x is the true magnification and the true telephoto capability, when compared to a 35mm full frame sensor.

Same is true of the M2Z where the 2x optical zoom is relative to its 24mm equivalent wide angle base lens focal length. The 2x is really the normal 1x of a 50mm lens.

Reactions: UAVquadman
The size of a camera sensor's active area is important in determining the system's field of view (FOV). Given a fixed primary magnification (determined by the imaging lens), larger sensors yield greater FOVs.

Full frame sensor dimensions: 36mm x 24mm therefore diagonal dimension is 43.27mm
Diagonal dimension for 1/2 inch sensor is 8mm

43.27/8=5.4
162x5,4=874

Lens with a focal length of 162mm on a 1/2 inch sensor has a field of view of 874mm full frame equivalent

Crop factor for 4/3 inch sensor is 2.0

Real field of view for mavic 3 main sensor is 48mm.

is there anything wrong here in my calculations ?

Attachments

• Opera Zrzut ekranu_2022-03-07_122558_www.edmundoptics.com.png
    Opera Zrzut ekranu_2022-03-07_122558_www.edmundoptics.com.png
    58.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Lens with a focal length of 162mm on a 1/2 inch sensor has a field of view of 874mm full frame equivalent

Yes ... the tele lens does not have a focal length of 162 mm
It has a 35 mm equiv focal length of 162 mm

Here's what the specs say:
Lens
FOV: 15°
Format Equivalent: 162mm

874mm lenses (35mm equiv) do not have a FoV of 15°
A Nikon 800 mm lens has an FoV of 3° 10'

It's actual focal length will be a number much smaller than 162 mm
The exif data for an image shot with the tele lens might show the actual focal length.

The size of a camera sensor's active area is important in determining the system's field of view (FOV). Given a fixed primary magnification (determined by the imaging lens), larger sensors yield greater FOVs.

Full frame sensor dimensions: 36mm x 24mm therefore diagonal dimension is 43.27mm
Diagonal dimension for 1/2 inch sensor is 8mm

43.27/8=5.4
162x5,4=874

Crop factor for 4/3 inch sensor is 2.0

Real field of view for mavic 3 main sensor is 48mm.

As @Meta4 states above, the tele lens spec of "162mm Format Equivalent" already factors in the sensor size. You are double counting it. At a 15° FOV, it's still the narrowest optical field of view of any DJI prosumer drone.

Exif data for a “7x" image, shot without any digital zoom shows:

Camera maker: DJI
Camera model: FC4170
F-stop: f/4.4
Focal length: 30mm
Max aperture: 4.28
35mm focal length : 161

Whatever the specs and fancy number ya’ll are throwing out there, the net result is I can see and record **** from far away. Really far away. Considering that’s the reason I bought the **** thing, I find it’s pretty good at it for that purpose and others. I’m not a fancy photographer. It’s been great for law enforcement purposes thus far.

Whatever the specs and fancy number ya’ll are throwing out there, the net result is I can see and record **** from far away. Really far away. Considering that’s the reason I bought the **** thing, I find it’s pretty good at it for that purpose and others. I’m not a fancy photographer. It’s been great for law enforcement purposes thus far.
It's perfect for law enforcement and search and rescue, and also keeping a watchful eye on the neighborhood!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121