DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Zoom vs Pro (I got zoom)

I just bought my Zoom today, I love the switch for tripod mode...makes a great addition to my P4Pro and Spark.

Reactions: Elude
I just bought my Zoom today, I love the switch for tripod mode...makes a great addition to my P4Pro and Spark.

I don't use tripod a lot, but when i need it it does what it's supposed to spot on and (although others would disagree) I think you have a good mixture of aircraft. If I am going on a medium sized job and I'm not totally sure what to take, that's the three that come with me. A P4P V2.0, a M2Zoom and a Spark ... although I'm starting to consider selling off two of the Sparks and replace them with an Air ...anyway, discussion for another day.

Regards
Ari

Reactions: Zoran
My pleasure :) On the side note... Just select Share on a video you want, on youtube, check the "Start at" box (and the time you want) and the link above it will change to something that will lead you to the selected time. COPY and PASTE wherever you want. The link will lead straight to that time on the video.

Thanks. I guess I don't look carefully at the youtube options.

But being the curious type (only so much), I did see your link and I played with the last number and, yup, the video started at the time (denoted in seconds) further in or earlier. But I still did not look at other options.

I know this topic has been beaten to death. I have read all the pros and cons.

I went ahead and ordered the zoom. It will be here tomorrow. I would’ve preferred the bigger camera sensor but I was already at the limit of my budget. This will be my first drone that is not a cheap one. Using for fun. I used to race RC cars and I’m pretty savvy with technology so looking forward to it.

Liking the online community here

the bigger camera is not garanteed to be better:
See the video and tell what you prefer.
I prefer the Zoom anytime for video besides taking photographs (I have a Mavic2Pro and a Mavic2 Zoom).
For me the Zoom is more versatile and the video is better at 4k than the Pro.

Last edited:
the bigger camera is not garanteed to be better:

I've seen this video before you have a valid point that the end result Vs price does not pencil out clearly the zoom is the best bang for the buck

.....that being said
This Novice Photohog would like the bigger sensor if nothing else I mostly fly at dusk and the larger sensor is better for low light situation .

And if down the road dji updated software might inhance picture quality for the m2pro
Like they do for the mp1
We're I read you can now shoot Pano.... But have not tried it
Again thanks for the link to
the "Er" video pro2 Vs pro2 zoom.
cR

Last edited:
Reactions: Hauptmann
The Zoom can get nice pictures too.
Here is one I took some days ago using the superesolution 48MP feature on M2Z:

Attachments

• PanoramicaC1.JPG
    9 MB · Views: 74
  • Vale_das_flores_2.jpg
    8.3 MB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Reactions: CiprianS
The zoom function paves the path to many creative shots - your imagination is the limit.

Hi, thanks for video with the deer. I was looking an example zoom with a wildlife like this. I see the zoom function could be perfect with
shooting on movable (includes flying) objects on the earth and it is not about a wildlife only. I gonna take a look at all your
videos to expand my own ideas. Imagination is a limit but diversity makes our imagination no limit.

I think my guessing game M2P vs M2Z as my first drone is over.

Last edited:
Reactions: CiprianS
Hi, thanks for video with the deer. I was looking an example zoom with a wildlife like this. I see the zoom function could be perfect with
shooting on movable (includes flying) objects on the earth and it is not about a wildlife only. I gonna take a look at all your
videos to expand my own ideas. Imagination is a limit but diversity makes our imagination no limit.

I think my guessing game M2P vs M2Z as my first drone is over.

Glad I could help :)

After seeing side by side video footage of both drones. I went with the zoom aswell. Daylight, zoom seems to perform better. Night time the PRO wins 100%. But I'm flying 95% day. So obvious choice for me. Plus, 1st drone.... i.might break it soon.

After seeing side by side video footage of both drones. I went with the zoom aswell. Daylight, zoom seems to perform better. Night time the PRO wins 100%. But I'm flying 95% day. So obvious choice for me. Plus, 1st drone.... i.might break it soon.

The zoom does not perform better than the Pro in daylight, the opposite is actually true :) You can pull a lot more out of a 10bit/H265 file and larger photosites on the sensor than you can 8bit footage from the tiny 1/2.3" sensor on the Zoom. The lens on the Pro is also better. It's all a matter of physics for the most part. It depends what your final/intended usage is though as to whether or not any of this matters to you personally, as the Zoom is still enough for a lot of people (nothing wrong with that).

Having to return home and swap ND filters to maintain exposure every time you use the zoom feature was one of the main deal breakers for me personally.

The zoom does not perform better than the Pro in daylight, the opposite is actually true :) You can pull a lot more out of a 10bit/H265 file and larger photosites on the sensor than you can 8bit footage from the tiny 1/2.3" sensor on the Zoom. The lens on the Pro is also better. It's all a matter of physics for the most part. It depends what your final/intended usage is though as to whether or not any of this matters to you personally, as the Zoom is still enough for a lot of people (nothing wrong with that).

Having to return home and swap ND filters to maintain exposure every time you use the zoom feature was one of the main deal breakers for me personally.
Lol. Dude... that's wha I said. Lolololol. Reread. The Pro kills the zoom at night. I was very tempted to buy it.... but Google search and you will see that everyone is not so happy with the 1 inch sensor. So I went with zoom.

Lol. Dude... that's wha I said. Lolololol. Reread. The Pro kills the zoom at night. I was very tempted to buy it.... but Google search and you will see that everyone is not so happy with the 1 inch sensor. So I went with zoom.

What you said is that the zoom seems to perform better in the daylight the the pro, and I was just trying to politely show you how that is objectively not the case. Sorry if I offended you in any way.

Nothing I was talking about has anything to do with night shots. The biggest advantages of the Pro are in the daytime (it's also illegal to fly at night in some places) with the 10bit h265 D-Log, adjustable, constant aperture, much higher dynamic range, better lens and better sensor. I can't find anything, nor have I ever seen anything that suggests "everyone" is unhappy with the larger sensor of the two - quite the opposite. Not everyone places high value on those things though which is 100% fine. I'm glad you're happy with your choice and congrats on the purchase!

Reactions: Trollistika
What you said is that the zoom seems to perform better in the daylight the the pro, and I was just trying to politely show you how that is objectively not the case. Sorry if I offended you in any way.

Nothing I was talking about has anything to do with night shots. The biggest advantages of the Pro are in the daytime (it's also illegal to fly at night in some places) with the 10bit h265 D-Log, adjustable, constant aperture, much higher dynamic range, better lens and better sensor. I can't find anything, nor have I ever seen anything that suggests "everyone" is unhappy with the larger sensor of the two - quite the opposite. Not everyone places high value on those things though which is 100% fine. I'm glad you're happy with your choice and congrats on the purchase!
Lol.... it's good. Through posts it's hard to judge feelings. No way did I try to be rude to you. No apologies necessary! :) just pointed out that the Pro is KILLER at night. And your right, you didn't mention nighttime. My brain failed to read it properly, sometimes speed reading will do that. But you are correct about the Pro being crisper in the sense that trees in the background are indeed sharper. But overall, for some reason the Pro shots look soft to me on some of the footage found everywhere. And im not the only one saying that... lots of others have noticed. Theres great comparing video on yt? That shows a side by side shot and you are suppose to guess which one is Pro and which one is Zoom. I picked the zoom footage as the Pro 70% of the time. I'll get the link... currently at work.

Hey guys,
I m a beginner with a zoom, I didn’t expect to have so much joy flying a drone. I have a question as I m unable to flight it more than 1 or 2 km, at a 400 m altitude, i have lost connection. Is it something normal or should I flight it in sport mode or setup something in the preferences’?

Just a few words about the zoom, I have no regret, I could fly with temperatures around -20 •C, and it responded very well. Only the hawks doesn’ seems to appreciate the competition... So far he yelled at me but nothing more though. This forum seems amazing...thank you for it.

Hey guys,
I m a beginner with a zoom, I didn’t expect to have so much joy flying a drone. I have a question as I m unable to flight it more than 1 or 2 km, at a 400 m altitude, i have lost connection. Is it something normal or should I flight it in sport mode or setup something in the preferences’?

Just a few words about the zoom, I have no regret, I could fly with temperatures around -20 •C, and it responded very well. Only the hawks doesn’ seems to appreciate the competition... So far he yelled at me but nothing more though. This forum seems amazing...thank you for it.

Are you in CE mode? If so, switch to FCC mode (lots of YouTube videos available on how to do this). If you're not in North America, your drone would likely have defaulted to CE mode.

Beginner mode also restricts you but if you can fly more than 100M that is probably not it.

400m is also way higher than what is legal in most places, so just make sure that is within your local laws. Also keep in mind at such a high altitude, wind can be enormously more powerful than it is on the ground and that is pretty risky in my opinion.

Also make sure the flat parts of the antenna are facing the drone at all times, and that they are parallel.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661