DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Zoom vs Pro (I got zoom)

Elude

Reactions
I know this topic has been beaten to death. I have read all the pros and cons.

I went ahead and ordered the zoom. It will be here tomorrow. I would’ve preferred the bigger camera sensor but I was already at the limit of my budget. This will be my first drone that is not a cheap one. Using for fun. I used to race RC cars and I’m pretty savvy with technology so looking forward to it.

Liking the online community here

I think you'll enjoy the Zoom, I obviously don't enjoy it as much now I fly commercially as I did when it was only a hobby but either of the Mavic 2 birds are a pleasure to fly, portable as you can hope for and give good to great images.

As far as video goes the Zoom is not really behind the Pro, perhaps not as warm colour wise but nothing you can't fix with some software and a little know how. Stills the Pro is ahead without argument.

Look at it this way, the price of second hand Phantom 4 Pros is dropping all the time. Later in the year you might be able to pick one up and then you'll have your 20mp camera and a backup as well.

Regards
Ari

The camera is clearly the strong point on the M2 Pro. But not everyone is after a camera.

Personally I fly more for the simple pleasure of flying an RC craft. For most of my flights the camera is just for FPV, I don't always take video or photos. And when I do take video, I discard most of it after reviewing it.

If you're looking for a camera that flies, then the Pro is the best choice. If you're looking for a drone with a camera, then the Zoom will fill the bill.

Last edited:
I know this topic has been beaten to death. I have read all the pros and cons.

I went ahead and ordered the zoom. It will be here tomorrow. I would’ve preferred the bigger camera sensor but I was already at the limit of my budget. This will be my first drone that is not a cheap one. Using for fun. I used to race RC cars and I’m pretty savvy with technology so looking forward to it.

Liking the online community here

Enjoy and fly safe :)

It finally arrive today via Fedex. Unfortunately FedEx also delivered some really Highwinds and rain. So I need to wait.

Take time to sort out the bird and do a pre flight after updating firmware.
Enjoy your flight

Reactions: mereflyer
The zoom is a great buy I love mine. Still in two minds whether to get the pro gimbal as well if I see one for the right price.

The zoom is a great buy I love mine. Still in two minds whether to get the pro gimbal as well if I see one for the right price.
For ~ $600, I'll wait. Maybe half that I'd be interested. don't see much advantage to what we have. looks easy enough to swap out though.

Reactions: rossmoney
If you have a Mavic Pro Platinum, there is really not a big upgrade to go for the zoom. Now the Mavic 2 Pro is something of a big upgrade, because the 1 inch sensor camera is what matters.

Reactions: 747P4
I am about to step out of my Mavic pro 1
with the MP1 most shots are a washout.!

Was leaning toward the Zoom...
Now i know my next Flying Camera will be the pro
....................it in the Camera
20 Mp.. VS.. 12 Mp
1" sensor.. VS.. 1/2.3" sensor
I fly for Fun and when it comes to getting a shot Bigger is better
.....cR
Asset+1.png

Hey guys. I have the Mavic 2 Zoom since last year's October and I haven't flow very much so I am merely a beginner (a little over 90 km in total, I believe).

I can say that sometimes, I somehow regret not getting the M2P when everybody talks about the sensor and camera quality and stuff, but when I'm out shooting videos with my M2Z, I can't complain AT ALL.

Given that I want to shoot landscape and sometimes wildlife videos, the Zoom is very useful. The video quality is really good and I don't feel like I need anything else.

Now... I haven't tested a M2P yet, but from what I see online, its sensor makes a difference. Not a huge one, in my opinion. But it does.

Bottom line is: I am satisfied with the M2Z.

You can check out my videos on my youtube channel Setrona Ambient (check the From Above - Drone Videos playlist) if you want to see what I'm talking about. I haven't used the Zoom functions that much (like dolly zoom and stuff) but it feels very useful from time to time to not move the drone when I want to get closer to something. I shot a few deer in THIS video from above at max zoom and it proved to be essential because the deer got away once I got a bit closer to them. The sound of the drone scared them. This is just one example where the Zoom is above the Pro.

It all depends on what you really want to shoot. I personally love my M2Z and I can recommend it to anyone looking to shoot videos of landscape and wildlife. The 1/2.3 inch sensor is far from being weak or of poor quality, as you can see in many videos, including mine. I think that, for most users, The M2Z will be enough or even more than enough. The zoom function paves the path to many creative shots - your imagination is the limit.

If you have any questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to provide an answer if I can.

Cheers from Romania,
Cip

Last edited:
I fly for Fun and when it comes to getting a shot Bigger is better

Obviously you fly for fun AND you care about the camera. In which case the Pro is the right choice.

I don't know if it's just me.. But after flying drones with fixed focal lengths for four years, (2 years with a GoPro on a Hexacopter and two more with the Phantom 4's built in camera) I'm finding the variable focal length of the zoom to be a real treat. It's opened up a new range of cinematic options.

If DJI offered to take my Zoom and give me a Pro as a straight swap, I wouldn't do it. However.. If they come out with a camera that has a variable focal length lens and a 1 inch sensor, then I'll probably consider paying to upgrade. Hopefully we'll see one in the next few years.

Hey guys. I have the Mavic 2 Zoom since last year's October and I haven't flow very much so I am merely a beginner (a little over 90 km in total, I believe).

I can say that sometimes, I somehow regret not getting the M2P when everybody talks about the sensor and camera quality and stuff, but when I'm out shooting videos with my M2Z, I can't complain AT ALL.

Given that I want to shoot landscape and sometimes wildlife videos, the Zoom is very useful. The video quality is really good and I don't feel like I need anything else.

Now... I haven't tested a M2P yet, but from what I see online, its sensor makes a difference. Not a huge one, in my opinion. But it does.

Bottom line is: I am satisfied with the M2Z.

You can check out my videos on my youtube channel Setrona Ambient (check the From Above - Drone Videos playlist) if you want to see what I'm talking about. I haven't used the Zoom functions that much (like dolly zoom and stuff) but it feels very useful from time to time to not move the drone when I want to get closer to something. I shot a few deer in THIS video from above at max zoom and it proved to be essential because the deer got away once I got a bit closer to them. The sound of the drone scared them. This is just one example where the Zoom is above the Pro.

It all depends on what you really want to shoot. I personally love my M2Z and I can recommend it to anyone looking to shoot videos of landscape and wildlife. The 1/2.3 inch sensor is far from being weak or of poor quality, as you can see in many videos, including mine. I think that, for most users, The M2Z will be enough or even more than enough. The zoom function paves the path to many creative shots - your imagination is the limit.

If you have any questions for me, please ask and I will be happy to provide an answer if I can.

Cheers from Romania,
Cip

Thanks for the video of Romania and the deer. You make good points about the Zoom and wildlife.

as an aside: I did not know you could link to the middle of a youtube video. Very nice.

Reactions: CiprianS
Last Thursday purchased my ZOOM drone. Could not justify the extra cost. Adapted the mount for the CRYSTALSKY monitor so it now fits SPARK, MAVIC AIR and now MAVIC2 controllers. Did not like the idea of line skipping in the image.

Reactions: ff22
Thanks for the video of Romania and the deer. You make good points about the Zoom and wildlife.

as an aside: I did not know you could link to the middle of a youtube video. Very nice.

My pleasure :) On the side note... Just select Share on a video you want, on youtube, check the "Start at" box (and the time you want) and the link above it will change to something that will lead you to the selected time. COPY and PASTE wherever you want. The link will lead straight to that time on the video.

Just select Share on a video you want, on youtube, check the "Start at" box (and the time you want) and the link above it will change to something that will lead you to the selected time. COPY and PASTE wherever you want.

Many thanks for the tip!

Reactions: CiprianS
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661