DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Zoom

4score

Reactions
Someone asked me this today and I couldn't recall. Is there a video mode when the "1X" doesn't appear on the screen and the Fn-Scroll doesn't work? Or is zooming an option always available in any video mode?

Thanks!

ZOOM is only available in Video mode: 4K ZOOM mode up to 2X, 2.7K up to 3X and 1080P up to 4X.

Someone asked me this today and I couldn't recall. Is there a video mode when the "1X" doesn't appear on the screen and the Fn-Scroll doesn't work? Or is zooming an option always available in any video mode?

Thanks!

No zoom available in "4K Wide" mode.

Keep in mind that this is not optical, but rather digital zoom. You can accomplish the same thing in the post-editing step.

I've seen claims on YouTube that the Mavic Air 2's "zoom" does use additional pixels from the 48mp camera and thus can give results that are slightly better than just zooming in post. It's nowhere near an optical zoom's quality but regardless I still find it useful, especially since it saves time versus having to deal with videos in post.

Reactions: 4score
While on the topic of Zoom.....I saw this asked by GadgetGuy a few months ago but with no responses:

"Anyone know what the difference is between 4K Wide and 4K Zoom if you don't use the Zoom feature? Are the video pixel frame dimensions different? Is 4K Wide a new wider field of view than before, or is the 4K Zoom a narrower field of view than before, even without using the zoom?"

ZOOM is only available in Video mode: 4K ZOOM mode up to 2X, 2.7K up to 3X and 1080P up to 4X.
After searching the forum I think this answers my question.
I just have a few flights on my new MA2 with the SC (purchased as a package), but I could swear I could zoom the camera on photo mode AND video mode on an earlier flight. I can’t seem to do it in camera mode now, only video mode.
Does this information still stand?

After searching the forum I think this answers my question.
I just have a few flights on my new MA2 with the SC (purchased as a package), but I could swear I could zoom the camera on photo mode AND video mode on an earlier flight. I can’t seem to do it in camera mode now, only video mode.
Does this information still stand?
Zoom is only available in video mode. People will be along shortly to tell you that zoom in photo mode is useless because you can do it in post.

What those people don't ever think of is that sometimes it is nice to be able to zoom in on the fly to see if it's worth moving in closer for better shot.

Those people will then tell you to just switch to video mode to zoom in and then switch back to photo mode to take the shot.

Me, I'd prefer to have zoom available in photo mode as it just makes things easier.

Reactions: Gastone165
Haha! Thanks for the info and the warning. I agree, it would be nice to have the Zoom capability in photo mode for the very reasons you mentioned. I don’t anticipate using the video mode much as I prefer still shots, so it will usually be in that mode. O’well.
I must have been imagining things when I thought it worked earlier.
It seems like it would be an easy App update, since the dial does nothing (to my knowledge) when in the camera mode.
Thanks again MightyP

Haha! Thanks for the info and the warning. I agree, it would be nice to have the Zoom capability in photo mode for the very reasons you mentioned. I don’t anticipate using the video mode much as I prefer still shots, so it will usually be in that mode. O’well.
I must have been imagining things when I thought it worked earlier.
It seems like it would be an easy App update, since the dial does nothing (to my knowledge) when in the camera mode.
Thanks again MightyP
I believe the Mini 2 just got this feature so maybe it will come to the MA2 soon. The funny thing is I may never see it as I've not updated anything since Fly version 1.1.10 due to the bugs and unwanted changes.

Reactions: zeusfl
Isn't the zoom in photo mode now available on the Mini2? Why not on the MA2?
Exactly that is very stupid from DJI to not do this in the MA2 that is supposed to be a superior drone. I own both drones but they should give all the goodies first to the more expensive drones.

Zoom is only available in video mode. People will be along shortly to tell you that zoom in photo mode is useless because you can do it in post.

What those people don't ever think of is that sometimes it is nice to be able to zoom in on the fly to see if it's worth moving in closer for better shot.

Those people will then tell you to just switch to video mode to zoom in and then switch back to photo mode to take the shot.

Me, I'd prefer to have zoom available in photo mode as it just makes things easier.
The Air 2 digital zoom is excellent if you are video filming close inspection work and don’t want to get too near (or cannot) because of hazards to the drone. This offers much better on-the-fly options rather than waiting to complete post flight processing. You can see it and shoot it. Capture still frames later off the video, if required. ????

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velmapeterson