DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

1080p vs 2.7k vs 4k

What do most people use? And please let me know what you think of my thoughts on the subject below.

I have a M2Z and have not really done much post processing yet (only really have test footage, since I have a problem finding interesting area to fly in airspace congested San Antonio) So for now I am just testing different video settings. Based on comparisons I did myself and looking at it on a 27“ 5K Retina iMac I am leaning toward 2.7k at 30 FPS, H264, D-Cinelike I figure it’s is a good trade off between 1080p and a full 4K (less storage, less processing power needed my 2015 iMac). I ultimately would want to create videos that I watch on a 65” TV but it is only 1080p. I imagine my next TV will eventually be 4K but not anytime soon.

Thoughts?

You are correct to decide on the resolution based on the actual display environment.YouTube comparisons are meaningless as YouTube re-encodes your footage before streaming, and before streaming to a specific user, tests the connection to see what download speed it will support. It then selects the file download based on the effective streaming speed of the connection.

The only way to test meaningfully is with a good high speed connection to a known monitor, like your TV. The best is with a hard word connection, but a WIFI connection of at least 100 Mbps can work as well.

If you care about the color that others may see on your video, the monitor used to grade the color must be calibrated to a known spec, typically for video rec 701.

There is lots of silliness floating around about good images. No professional photographer or video maker would be caught dead making these personal observations public for fear of being laughed at.

I’m stuck in the same place. I have 70” 1080p and am not ready to get rid of it for a 4k just yet but I’m really dying to see my uploads in 4K. I’m uploading all my videos in 4K and they stream back in 1080. So I guess I’m waiting for Boxing Day. I don’t wanna go from 70 to 60 either oh what do [emoji23]

There is lots of silliness floating around about good images. No professional photographer or video maker would be caught dead making these personal observations public for fear of being laughed at.
Please do share more about the "silliness floating around about good images" so we don't make the same mistake, and won't be laughed at.

2.7 upscaled was really nice.
Finally got a 4k and the difference is unbelievable. Even the 1080p upscaled to 4k was very impressive. upgrading internet next week from 120 mbs to 400 mbs so will see if that changes anything further. [emoji869][emoji817][emoji869]

Reactions: apeel
What do most people use? And please let me know what you think of my thoughts on the subject below.

I have a M2Z and have not really done much post processing yet (only really have test footage, since I have a problem finding interesting area to fly in airspace congested San Antonio) So for now I am just testing different video settings. Based on comparisons I did myself and looking at it on a 27“ 5K Retina iMac I am leaning toward 2.7k at 30 FPS, H264, D-Cinelike I figure it’s is a good trade off between 1080p and a full 4K (less storage, less processing power needed my 2015 iMac). I ultimately would want to create videos that I watch on a 65” TV but it is only 1080p. I imagine my next TV will eventually be 4K but not anytime soon.

Thoughts?

Just got a 65” 4k Roku (4k YouTube)
Had a 70” 1080p
And the difference is unbelievable. I just put 70” in the basement,my kids are happy as [emoji90] [emoji2960][emoji23]

Reactions: apeel
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart