DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

1st Drone , Public Liability Purchased & having fun !

chris956

Reactions
Just checking in from SE London UK. First drone but not new to RC although its been a while ! Used to fly 60cc petrol engined Acrowat`s. The Mavic is totally different ...... obviously !!

Thought it wise to get some Public Liability Insurance and fpvuk.org do a £5M policy for next to no money. Piece of mind in case it comes down or there is an unforeseen issue. I used to have BMFA insurance with the planes as they could really shift flat out.

Still struggling with the camera settings and cannot decide if shooting in 1080 50fps is better than 4k. The higher setting just seems overkill for me as I have zero 4k devices and only watch the footage on a laptop. I`ll be trying the 2.7k 30fps tomorrow if the weather permits but to me the lower frame rate just looks choppy. Maybe I`m flying it around to quick !!

Anyways looking forward to learning

Thumbswayup

Reactions: dirkclod
Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for
current developments in Mavic quadcopter’s. Read the manual a few times and watch lots of Youtube videos on the subject to give yourself a good start.
Enjoy! Thumbswayup

Reactions: chris956
Welcome to DronePilots newest forum chris . :)

Someone with far superior knowledge about camera settings posted up this on a facebook page, very informative, so only right to keep sharing it

Props to Roman Hug for sharing (y)

There have been quite some discussions about the best possible resolution/framerate to record video with the Mavic. So i did a test within the same conditions for all res/fps combinations, pointing the cam of the Mavic to a test picture and did not move the Mavic and did not chance anything except the res/fps settings.

There has been the rumor you should shoot in 2.7k because it uses the same 60.000 kBit/s for storage than 4k. Thats not true.

The most importand first: Do NOT shoot video in 1080p 60fps! Even with the high kBit/s. 1080p 60fps does use a algorithm to work together with the upcomming DJI googles and push the frames of the picture as fast as possible to the video transmitting system and to the screen in the googles. Therefore the algorithm for 1080p 60fps is optimized for pure speed and looks awfull if you want to use it for video recording.

4k will record with about 60.000 kBit/s, 2.7k with 45.000 kBit/s and 1080p with 40.000 kBit/s or lower.

The " kBit / frame " shows how many kBit data you have availible for every single frame to storage information about the picture in. Higher is better.

Update:
I did not include the slow motion fps like 1080p 96 because they are not for "normal" video usage and have a signifcant lower quality in bitrate. But i did test them. For example, the 1080p 96 fps does record with around 15.000 kBit/s because it streteches the video.

If you record 10s Video on the Mavic in 1080p 96fps it will use the 60.000 kBit/s and strech them x4 so you will have a 42s Video with 1080p 24spf and 15.000 kBit/s on your hard drive.

Maybe someone finds this usefull.

Attachments

• mavic video settings.jpg
    mavic video settings.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads