DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

1st Time Drone Owners

Yeah right it wasnt. Lol
Different states? Too easy, Me and a few mates will be in Brissy next weekend for a business trip. I promise ill find time for ya.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Ok ok cool. Come out to Amberley and we can go from there
P.m. Sent

Last edited:
The mavic is my first time drone. It is easy and holds position very well. There are a lot of automation and failsafes. It's as easy as flying the drone in Watchdogs 2. Just be careful, follow the rules and use common sense when flying and you will be fine.
My opinion is quite the opposite. Don't waste your money on cheap "learner" drones and get the MP.

The Mavic Pro is my first Drone. I am 68 years old and never been a gamer so am taking my time getting used to the controls. I have no regrets buying the Mavic Pro. My first few test flights have been great. My initial issues are understanding the compatible electronics issues and setting up my Drone specs. I am interested in using EXP Gentle Mode and Tripod Mode to slow down the Drone during the learning curve. I have no need for Sport Mode speed. For whatever reason, I am NOT offered Gentle Mode when using my iPhone 6 (a compatible device). DJI has not been able to explain this to me. I did force a download of the DJI Go 4 app onto my Kindle Fire 7 and, while I'm afraid to use the Fire in the field, it DOES offer me the EXP Gentle Mode (not a compatible device?). I know these are different operating systems but DJI should offer the same features under both platforms. I am still having trouble getting smooth movements but that is likely due to my age and inexperience. If anyone can explain the risks of using the Fire to fly (in simple language) I'd appreciate that. Without launching, when I connect using the Fire, everything looks to be in order to fly. I get the same video screens on my Fire that I get on my iPhone 6. The camera works, etc. Does the Fire software crash during flight putting the Drone at risk? If that happened, couldn't I just "pause" the flight on the remote control and manually bring it back using the controller alone? Any advice would be appreciated.

The Mavic Pro is my first Drone. I am 68 years old and never been a gamer so am taking my time getting used to the controls. I have no regrets buying the Mavic Pro. My first few test flights have been great. My initial issues are understanding the compatible electronics issues and setting up my Drone specs. I am interested in using EXP Gentle Mode and Tripod Mode to slow down the Drone during the learning curve. I have no need for Sport Mode speed. For whatever reason, I am NOT offered Gentle Mode when using my iPhone 6 (a compatible device). DJI has not been able to explain this to me. I did force a download of the DJI Go 4 app onto my Kindle Fire 7 and, while I'm afraid to use the Fire in the field, it DOES offer me the EXP Gentle Mode (not a compatible device?). I know these are different operating systems but DJI should offer the same features under both platforms. I am still having trouble getting smooth movements but that is likely due to my age and inexperience. If anyone can explain the risks of using the Fire to fly (in simple language) I'd appreciate that. Without launching, when I connect using the Fire, everything looks to be in order to fly. I get the same video screens on my Fire that I get on my iPhone 6. The camera works, etc. Does the Fire software crash during flight putting the Drone at risk? If that happened, couldn't I just "pause" the flight on the remote control and manually bring it back using the controller alone? Any advice would be appreciated.
Im not sure what fire software you are talking about but if you mean the GO app no the drone wont crash if the app crashes the drone operates without the app, the app is pretty much just an add on but without the app you dont see what the drone sees and you dont get the features but it will fly without the app. As far as movement goes, slow and steady wins the race, ease on the sticks for smooth video, also you might need some ND filters if you see jittery or jerky movements in things like cars ect..

Sent from my HTCD160LVWPP using MavicPilots mobile app

I agree with the OP. Learn with a trainer. They are incredibly difficult to fly. The upside is that once you have the flight of something like a Hubsan down. The Mavic will be easy. I did have problems with the Hubsan but after many bumps and bruises with the Hubsan I got it figured out.

I imagine it is even more critical for people going from 0 to a Mavic because the Mavic does not have ATTI mode. So when GPS shuts off that could potentially result in more issues. Issues that the opertor will not be prepared to deal with.

Okay guys I've heard all your opinion. And as a newbie. I will proceed with Extreme Caution! I have my drone in the Box going on 3 weeks and have not flown it yet. For 3 weeks now I have scrolled through YouTube trying to learn all I can. I have invested and accessories that may prevent me from crashing or losing my New Maverick. And eventually with confidence; I will proceed to fly! Although I am NOT in any hurry.

Okay guys I've heard all your opinion. And as a newbie. I will proceed with Extreme Caution! I have my drone in the Box going on 3 weeks and have not flown it yet. For 3 weeks now I have scrolled through YouTube trying to learn all I can. I have invested and accessories that may prevent me from crashing or losing my New Maverick. And eventually with confidence; I will proceed to fly! Although I am NOT in any hurry.

Wow! That's rarely heard! Impatience is the rule here.

Slow and steady movements on the sticks. If you get in trouble, don't move the sticks, Chill for a minute and regain yourself. the drone wont fly off if you don't touch the sticks. Keep it way from trees and other objects. Basically use common sense, if you think you are close then don't even attempt to fly any further.

I agree with the OP. Learn with a trainer. They are incredibly difficult to fly. The upside is that once you have the flight of something like a Hubsan down. The Mavic will be easy. I did have problems with the Hubsan but after many bumps and bruises with the Hubsan I got it figured out.

I imagine it is even more critical for people going from 0 to a Mavic because the Mavic does not have ATTI mode. So when GPS shuts off that could potentially result in more issues. Issues that the opertor will not be prepared to deal with.

The Mavic does have an ATTI mode but it can't be manually switched to and seems to be problematic when the Mavic switches to it when it appears to be in good reception as several experienced quadcopter pilots have crashed it when this has happened.

John

The Mavic is almost like cheating. Anyone can fly it even without ever flying a UAV before.

Reactions: 3goldens

You're right to be cautious and it's also good to do a lot of reading first to get a feel for possible mishaps and how to avoid them. I felt similarly wary when I first got my Mavic but after doing a lot of reading and watching the DJI top ten mistakes video, I chose a wide open spot in a grassy area to get started with the Mavic. As mentioned earlier, a lot of Mavic crashes are down to a poor choice of flight area by flying near a lot of trees, over large expanses of water or in small rooms. I've also been surprised at people flying the drones at extreme range over built up area, one person on the DJI forums had the drone set to hover when it lost communication and the drone did just that at over a mile away although they did find it the next day, I don't know if it worked after a freezing night. Another person today was showing off a video of them flying the drone around a mile away over a built up area which just seemed incredibly risky given it could suffer interference or lose video signal and if it had a crash landing there's a lot of things for it to hit.

John

Thread of the year candidate for sure!! beejAMG types are the best! The perfect internet character. He should give lessons on Internet bravado!!

Reactions: flightmike
Thread of the year candidate for sure!! beejAMG types are the best! The perfect internet character. He should give lessons on Internet bravado!!

Meh, I would of got perma banned if I would of spoke my mind, but I let him have his fun.

Kestrel, you try to belittle me with your first reply, then i asked you to "not go there", (a couple of times actually) but you feel too proud to do so, then when i finally laid it down on you, you think about banning me completely if you have it your way? goes for other members as well. yall can see the retaliation but NOT the initiation.

i REALLY hope this is the end of it coz otherwise youre hopeless...

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Kestrel, you try to belittle me with your first reply, then i asked you to "not go there", (a couple of times actually) but you feel too proud to do so, then when i finally laid it down on you, you think about banning me completely if you have it your way? goes for other members as well. yall can see the retaliation but NOT the initiation.

i REALLY hope this is the end of it coz otherwise youre hopeless...

giphy.gif

Take it easy keyboard cowboy. The funny thing is you actually believe you got the "W" on this one.

Reactions: Kestrel
Take it easy keyboard cowboy. The funny thing is you actually believe you got the "W" on this one.

"W"...seriously...who says that? what are you 8?

Thats the "funny thing" for you?
i thought you were..."the funny thing" lol

Last edited:

You should at least take it out of the box and use the simulator.

I started with a Yuneec Breeze and had some fun learning how to fly it down in Anguilla over the holidays. Had one crash and then learned what NOT to do...Was very careful after that. Then shortly thereafter, I got a Yuneec Q500 off WOOT. I really like that at first but when the opportunity came and someone had a Mavic Pro at basically the tail price, well, I had some extra dough and took the leap. I took my time, still do, am very careful all the time and am not a 5 miler by any means. I see a distinct difference between the now clunky Yunnec, which is a totally totally different experience than the Mavic, which is so much smoother and responsive. The Yuneec is almost a clunker compared to the Mavic. I actually will probably sell that and get a Phantom 4 or another Mavic.

I think once you've gone Mavic there may be no going back, it is really a charm to fly even with my limited experience. I am hooked and want to learn but will do so ever so carefully and respect the learning curve of flying these things I like the community here and frequent it for discussions and hints at things to try. It's very much like the community on the forum for Honda Hawk motorcycles that I have been a member of for a decade. Good people who are always willing to help!

I started with a Yuneec Breeze and had some fun learning how to fly it down in Anguilla over the holidays. Had one crash and then learned what NOT to do...Was very careful after that. Then shortly thereafter, I got a Yuneec Q500 off WOOT. I really like that at first but when the opportunity came and someone had a Mavic Pro at basically the tail price, well, I had some extra dough and took the leap. I took my time, still do, am very careful all the time and am not a 5 miler by any means. I see a distinct difference between the now clunky Yunnec, which is a totally totally different experience than the Mavic, which is so much smoother and responsive. The Yuneec is almost a clunker compared to the Mavic. I actually will probably sell that and get a Phantom 4 or another Mavic.

I think once you've gone Mavic there may be no going back, it is really a charm to fly even with my limited experience. I am hooked and want to learn but will do so ever so carefully and respect the learning curve of flying these things I like the community here and frequent it for discussions and hints at things to try. It's very much like the community on the forum for Honda Hawk motorcycles that I have been a member of for a decade. Good people who are always willing to help!

If you treat mavic like a car or in your case a motorcycle, ie: always learning, you will have lots of fun.

the forum here is less macho slash elite than an auto forum though, so you might have to deal with actually getting helpful answers to most threads

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SlayTech