DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

20,000 feet! Whaaaaaat!?

Yup, I flew 18k ft to Alcatraz. Even had time to hover around the "rock" for a while.
Please Keep in mind the following.

The San Francisco Bay Area is known for its natural beauty and it can be fun to capture the beautiful landscapes from the air. However, it is important to know the rules before taking off. For example, The Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA) covers over 80,000 acres of territory and stretches from San Mateo County to Marin County. Currently, drones are not permitted to be launched, landed or operated within national parks, including across all of Golden Gate National Recreation Area. As of March 2017, Park Service rangers may issue citations of $125 plus fees to drone users who violate NPS rules.

The following popular San Francisco Bay Area tourist attractions either fall within the GGNRA or otherwise restrict drone usage:

Golden Gate Bridge

Alcatraz Island

Fort Point National Historic Site

Presidio of San Francisco

Lands End Park

Reactions: Lou
Please Keep in mind the following.

The San Francisco Bay Area is known for its natural beauty and it can be fun to capture the beautiful landscapes from the air. However, it is important to know the rules before taking off. For example, The Golden Gate National Recreation Area (GGNRA) covers over 80,000 acres of territory and stretches from San Mateo County to Marin County. Currently, drones are not permitted to be launched, landed or operated within national parks, including across all of Golden Gate National Recreation Area. As of March 2017, Park Service rangers may issue citations of $125 plus fees to drone users who violate NPS rules.

The following popular San Francisco Bay Area tourist attractions either fall within the GGNRA or otherwise restrict drone usage:

Golden Gate Bridge

Alcatraz Island

Fort Point National Historic Site

Presidio of San Francisco

Lands End Park

This is accurate information and important to know. You CAN fly near these locations provided that there are no FAA restrictions; however you cannot launch, land, or operate from the listed locations. You simply need to launch, operate, and land from a place that is NOT a national park or other non-drone location. One of the California beaches that are not part of a National Park should work.

You simply need to launch, operate, and land from a place that is NOT a national park or other non-drone location.

I have been in the middle of the desert, at a bar and was tracked down, questioned about why I was filming and told not to post any of the pictures due to "Public Image". Now I wasn't filming for any reason other then my own enjoyment and I wasn't even flying over the bar but I was standing on private property during the flight and gladly landed and left the area. I just know from now on, no one Is going to look for me 1/2 mile or more down the road off of private land. Nor do they own the airspace.So I agree that it is always best to launch operate and land where you will not be filming just to avoid confrontation period.

Funny part is bar is in the valley and Pictures are posted all over YELP, some even seem like Arial views due to them taken from the many hill tops around it. Photos on the ground are fine by them but for some reason the Mavic got them riled up. They did ask nicely kept, it short, and didn't really threaten me. To me their reason just seemed a bit off/weird.

Anyways check out the location Pictures. And how remote it is.
Google Maps
Website = Blank
Yelp = The Desert Bar - Parker, AZ

Reactions: AyeYo
They didn't want the secret alien space crafts photographed.....

Was this a cop? Or the owners of the bar?

Employee of the Bar, probley no cops for miles. Dirt powerline road is probley 7-8 miles long off the main paved road that will take you into Parker, AZ or the nearest city.

Its all off roading and desert shooting around that area owned by the state except the property of that outdoor bar.

I live in the big city of Los Angeles and flying anywhere around home is tuff but never expected in the desert to get in trouble, especially knowing the lay back, beer drinking, gun shooting, and dirt-biking guys. Just cough me off guard. Just cought me off guard.

Reactions: Sal_recon26
I'd of just told the guy to have a nice day and keep flying.... if you were not on his property he has no claim to tell you to stop....

No, this was the first week of my Mavic and I WAS in fact standing on their property. It was only after that incident that I learned my lesson. I never fly from the property I'm flying over.

Reactions: dewster
This is accurate information and important to know. You CAN fly near these locations provided that there are no FAA restrictions; however you cannot launch, land, or operate from the listed locations. You simply need to launch, operate, and land from a place that is NOT a national park or other non-drone location. One of the California beaches that are not part of a National Park should work.
Yep, I launch from Treasure Island.
(which is 18k ft from Alcatraz)

Is the same true for other US national parks? As long as I launch outside can I fly above?

That is the general consensus though I don't know that the courts have ever decided the issue. Would be fun to watch the NPS and the FAA battle it out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gerardomavic