DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A little video from Kenya and Tanzania

Wow! Nicely done. Love the mix of drone & ground clips. There are some stunning scenes here. I take it you’re a certified diver also. Thanks for sharing. Very nice coverage of your trip.
NB

Reactions: bzmot
WOW! Great video!
We were in Kenya in 2001, but never got to the coast, and never saw a hippo! Did you climb to the top of Mt. Kenya? Did you have trouble getting your Mavic into Kenya? I've heard they confiscate them at the Nairobi airport.

Reactions: bzmot
WOW! Great video!
We were in Kenya in 2001, but never got to the coast, and never saw a hippo! Did you climb to the top of Mt. Kenya? Did you have trouble getting your Mavic into Kenya? I've heard they confiscate them at the Nairobi airport.

Alas I failed miserably 200 m short of the summit, on the range 4,700 m asl. Not enough acclimatizing, I'll try again sometime. No problem in Kenya or Tanzania. But I went smart about it because I had heard the same things as you about Nairobi. So I flew into Zanzibar, did Tanzania, overlanded to Nairobi and returned to Europe from Mombasa :) They did, however, confiscate my drone in Rwanda on another trip, I posted the story on this forum here. Happy droning!

Reactions: Hauptmann
Alas I failed miserably 200 m short of the summit, on the range 4,700 m asl. Not enough acclimatizing, I'll try again sometime. No problem in Kenya or Tanzania. But I went smart about it because I had heard the same things as you about Nairobi. So I flew into Zanzibar, did Tanzania, overlanded to Nairobi and returned to Europe from Mombasa :) They did, however, confiscate my drone in Rwanda on another trip, I posted the story on this forum here. Happy droning!
You had a great, great trip...I am so jealous! I'd LOVE to get back to Africa. Too bad you missed the Mt. Kenya summit. They say Mt. Kili is an easier climb (I've done neither). When in Nairobi, did you eat at the Carnivore Restaurant? When we were there they were serving mostly plains game--antelope species--but I did get to eat Zebra.

I'm told that the drones are welcome in the Uganda parks, but are banned in all the Kenya ones--the locals want the video revenue. Don't blame them. Hope you got your drone back when you left Rwanda. I'm going to search for your Rwanda post!

You had a great, great trip...I am so jealous! I'd LOVE to get back to Africa. Too bad you missed the Mt. Kenya summit. They say Mt. Kili is an easier climb (I've done neither). When in Nairobi, did you eat at the Carnivore Restaurant? When we were there they were serving mostly plains game--antelope species--but I did get to eat Zebra.

I'm told that the drones are welcome in the Uganda parks, but are banned in all the Kenya ones--the locals want the video revenue. Don't blame them. Hope you got your drone back when you left Rwanda. I'm going to search for your Rwanda post!

I only spent five or six hours in Nairobi so all I could do was buy some AA coffee and make the flight back. But I did eat some game in Cape Town (gemsbok, springbok, pumba). Zebra sounds wild. I wish I could try that!
I definitely want to go to Africa now for a longer trip, perhaps an overland tour for several months. See how the planning goes now...

WOW! Great video!
Actually, they do not confiscate them. I've travelled with mine lots of times and while the application/enforcement of Kenya's policy on UAVs is still sketchy, for recreational drones you can take them through. This was the applicable a few months back when I went through.

So unless the law/rules/guidelines have changed since I was there in FEB.2019, then you can just go through with them.

Drone body of course should be in the checked in luggage.

nice footage bro, im headed to Thailand in 7 weeks and will be throwing together my own reel
Welcome to Thailand!

It's such an amazing place to travel and fly but do your research beforehand and you should be ok.

Apologies in case I make assumptions, but just know you will not be allowed to fly over the amazing temples etc, but if you have an Osmo, its alright.

In the remote areas, you can fly relatively safely and also on the less crowded beaches. But the beaches also have a lot of NFZs so just make sure to do the basics good practice and you should be fine.

Thai authorities can be quite tough on you if they decide to.male.an example. But do carry it and enjoy flying..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast