DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A Small Hobby Drone Reaches 33,000 Feet

LuvMyTJ

Reactions
Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 10.08.07 PM✨.png

Check out the website for all the details. Below is a snippet of the story...

It seems that the flight took place in the center of Russia near the Siberian city of Strejevoï. The regulation in Russia doesn’t mention an altitude limit for drones. But if this flight was not illegal, was it dangerous? After all, the drone flew close to most airliners’ cruising altitude. However, the commercial jet traffic in this region is very limited and most transcontinental flights crossing between Europe and Asia fly at higher altitudes to maximize fuel consumption. In any case, don’t try this at home and stay clear of aircraft routes.

SOURCE: A Small Hobby Drone Reaches 33,000 Feet

Interesting
Wonder how many people have tried this and the drone didn’t survive

just wow, that is amazing indeed!

another thing that amazes me, and I dont want to flame the post, is that I have seen users posting similar videos, including myself, and got bullied instantly by other members telling them that they shouldnt post such material because the ruin the sport and that these videos inspire others to do similar things. When I posted something similar long time ago the following post was like "People like you are the reason people do this...blah blah blah"... but when it is posted by an admin things are calm somehow... anywayz, just my 2 c

Reactions: Skymax
just wow, that is amazing indeed!

another thing that amazes me, and I dont want to flame the post, is that I have seen users posting similar videos, including myself, and got bullied instantly by other members telling them that they shouldnt post such material because the ruin the sport and that these videos inspire others to do similar things. When I posted something similar long time ago the following post was like "People like you are the reason people do this...blah blah blah"... but when it is posted by an admin things are calm somehow... anywayz, just my 2 c
Yeah, it depends where you perform these things and whether your country is a drone bully or not. I personally did not found anything wrong with that vid where that small racing drone dived to the top of landing plane as it seemed the pilot has it under full control not like those cases when people hit RTH on their Mavic cause they had lost VLOS and think: I am good... I have DJI drone... And have read the manual.

He was using a homemade 4S3P Li-Ion battery pack using 18650 cells rated at 3400mah.
this gave him a 14.8v (16.4v fully charged) pack with about 10,000mah

Most amazing thing is that the wind didnt take it. I would have assumed the higher you get the windier it is?
absolutely., prevailing winds at altitude are very different. I've flown a cessna 172/g from dayton Ohio back to Southern California. Sometimes changing altitude 1500-300 feet would dramatically change our headwind.

Heck, when playing beach volleyball we know that wind 20 feet above the court is likely much stronger than on the sand.

the same goes for drones! What you feel on the grass is likely not at all what it is like at the tree tops.

I personally did not found anything wrong with that vid where that small racing drone dived to the top of landing plane
that video wasnt real, just FYI

View attachment 33985

Check out the website for all the details. Below is a snippet of the story...

It seems that the flight took place in the center of Russia near the Siberian city of Strejevoï. The regulation in Russia doesn’t mention an altitude limit for drones. But if this flight was not illegal, was it dangerous? After all, the drone flew close to most airliners’ cruising altitude. However, the commercial jet traffic in this region is very limited and most transcontinental flights crossing between Europe and Asia fly at higher altitudes to maximize fuel consumption. In any case, don’t try this at home and stay clear of aircraft routes.

SOURCE: A Small Hobby Drone Reaches 33,000 Feet
Minus 50C. amazing that the battery was still good.

If a TV station gets stuff like this it will bring down the Law and Media on us like a ton of bricks as no one will feel safe in a passenger jet anymore plus Terorism potential will be realised.
I have no doubt someone is eventually going to cause a death or disaster one day and that will be the end of private hobby flying drones permanently.
So enjoy it now while you still can.

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
I cannot understand any reason whatever for such foolish antics. Why would anyone want to endanger others and the freedoms we all currently enjoy merely for the sake of bragging rights.

I call it immature to a pathological extreme. Frequently asking for calamity with eventually produce a calamity.

Reactions: Skymax
I cannot understand any reason whatever for such foolish antics. Why would anyone want to endanger others and the freedoms we all currently enjoy merely for the sake of bragging rights.

I call it immature to a pathological extreme. Frequently asking for calamity with eventually produce a calamity.
Remember, the drone pilot that did this 33,000 feet was in a remote location in Russia. They have different laws there. I believe they have more friendly drone laws than in the US.

Remember, the drone pilot that did this 33,000 feet was in a remote location in Russia. They have different laws there. I believe they have more friendly drone laws than in the US.
But the laws of physics are the same in Russia.

Reactions: macoman
hey I could see my house from up there! wow I don't know how that little drone did it and I cant believe the jet stream didn't take it as well as it freezing up and falling like a brick.

I believe they have more friendly drone laws than in the US.

I find it patently absurd to think of laws that would permit such a ludicrous act as 'friendly'. I don't imagine the folks in that potential airliner would think of them as friendly and the flight was no less stupid merely because it was in a remote area There's still no rational reason to do such a thing anywhere!!

So long as we continue to 'oooh' & 'aaah' over such behaviors, we are perpetuating the dangers. We must condemn it if we are to be responsible hobbyists.

A "friendly" law would be one which placed an age requirement on the ability to operate a flying machine.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JesseLaw