DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Acceptable input voltages to charge Mavic 2 Pro batteries

jgilbert20

Reactions
Hello fellow Mavic hackers --

Does anyone know (or have tested) what input range of voltages will charge a Mavic 2 battery? I know the stated input voltage is 17.3-17.6V but surely the actual acceptable input range must be wider than that as nearly every battery charging circuit I know has plenty of v(input) wiggle room.

I'm building a DIY rig to field charge Mavic 2 batteries from some heavy duty 6S LiPo batteries. Currently I am stepping down to 13.8V (automotive voltages) and then using the DJI car charger to charge the batteries but this is quite inefficient and only charges one battery at a time. I'd prefer to just directly connect my source battery to the Mavic 2 Pro batteries but that would mean subjecting the batteries to a 18-25V swing.

I've googled around for this information and can't find anything, figured maybe the folks here would know. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

As specific a goal as that is, and im sure you have your reasons.
Is there not a better solution?
Owning/Charging Batteries beforehand perhaps, or are you going camping, going to be in the field?

Your transferring power from one battery to another, it doesnt make much sense, as you need your 6S
power source on hand and it's finite.
Why not forget the 6S thing and use the car battery as a source.
via the outlet, or via direct wiring.

Maybe you can elaborate

As specific a goal as that is, and im sure you have your reasons.
Is there not a better solution?
Owning/Charging Batteries beforehand perhaps, or are you going camping, going to be in the field?

Your transferring power from one battery to another, it doesnt make much sense, as you need your 6S
power source on hand and it's finite.
Why not forget the 6S thing and use the car battery as a source.
via the outlet, or via direct wiring.

Maybe you can elaborate

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am mainly a FPV pilot so I’ve already got a backpack full of high capacity batteries and multiple balance chargers I use for field charging. Often I like to set up a base somewhere a distance away from my car where I can start charging the batteries that come off the birds after I fly them. It’s often not convenient to do so at my car for two reasons. First I may not actually be near my car. Secondly my car does not provide power to the outlets beyond 20 minutes after the ignition is shut off.

Would still be curious if anyone actually knows the range of input voltages that work.

Thanks!

sar104 knows everything afatfg. Brett883 or Amann is the guy for battery stuff i think

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am mainly a FPV pilot so I’ve already got a backpack full of high capacity batteries and multiple balance chargers I use for field charging. Often I like to set up a base somewhere a distance away from my car where I can start charging the batteries that come off the birds after I fly them. It’s often not convenient to do so at my car for two reasons. First I may not actually be near my car. Secondly my car does not provide power to the outlets beyond 20 minutes after the ignition is shut off.

Would still be curious if anyone actually knows the range of input voltages that work.

Thanks!

Can’t you just use the same output voltage as the car charger but up the amperage of your voltage regulator or step up transformer to cover the extra battery loads? Google “12v to 17v step up transformer” on the A or E online retail stores, there are a few varieties that may work. -I’d put a small voltage meter on the circuit before and always while charging with anything like these though!

Like you are probably doing, I’m also using one of these in order to stabilize my solar charged battery output voltage, but it is too slow even with using my two battery charger setup!

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom