DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Activation Notice in DJI GO App

I am surprised you haven't read all about it on the dozens of other threads already! Basically IF you do the upgrade to the new software then don't log in to lock your location you will be limited to 50m range and 30m height and no live video feed. This is mostly to do with the new Chinese drone regulations coming into force. The log in determined your location and sets the parameters allowed for flight in that country. Though so far DJI are saying it will only affect Chinese flyers.

Of course there is much deliberation on these and many other forums about what other changes they will implement in the future with this new found level of control.

Basically if you are outside China and re log in after the software upgrade their 'should' be no changes for you. Of course you do have the option of ignoring the update altogether and therefor no changes at all.

So if you're in the US and fly DJI Go 4 using a tablet not on wifi or cell service are you restricted or no? Don't care what DJI says I care what actually happens.

If your tablet is not on Wi-Fi or cell service then you will not receive the software update so no, you would not be restricted. They are 'urging' everyone to update so the new policy can be implemented. If you don't update, no change.

Even if you are on Wi-Fi or cell, you should have the option to not update.

If your tablet is not on Wi-Fi or cell service then you will not receive the software update so no, you would not be restricted. They are 'urging' everyone to update so the new policy can be implemented. If you don't update, no change.

Even if you are on Wi-Fi or cell, you should have the option to not update.

No no let me rephrase, if I update the tablet at home, drive a hundred miles and then try to fly without service 2 weeks later am I going to have issues?

No, no probs there either. When you update at home you need to log in to activate the update and unlock the flight restrictions. If you update agaim in the future same thing, activate after update. You do not need to activate again until the next update. Unless you live in China, then you will need to activate every 3 months regardless of updating.

does anybody actually know what is being proposed. There seems to be a lot of jumping to conclusions. Perhaps someone can give some answers to the questions posted one above. I'm a commercial pilot dealing with ATC all the time and don't understand what they are on about.
Until I understand what I am supposed to be frightened of....I won't be
Others talking about it here
DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update

I had a problem this evening with my camera view on the ipad. It would come on normally, and then go off in a few minutes. I rebooted the entire system, controller, drone and ipad and it did the same thing but this time I had the popup message. So I checked the update in the about section and sure enough I was told to download and update the firmware. The download went pretty fast but the update took about half my battery till it was done. I rebooted everything as instructed and now my camera view is back. Haven't tried to fly it yet, but if the weather clears I will test tomorrow.

To clarify, I was inside the house but ipad was connected to wifi. My home is Class D airspace and about 4.8 miles from the airport tower. The ipad is not a cellphone capable ipad, just wifi.

Last edited:
So with all this hollaballoo with DJI's ever increasing restrictions on personal use of drones how long until people start figuring out how to jailbreak these and get away from DJI software? I'm all for responsible flight within the confines of the law but for DJI to feel they have the right to impose upon people is in my opinion against our rights. I personally fly within the law but I do that by choice I don't need some company in China deciding what I can and cannot do here in the U.S.

I have the ability to drive my car 100mph the wrong way down the interstate, if I chose to do it Chrysler or my car wouldn't stop me.

I am surprised you haven't read all about it on the dozens of other threads already! Basically IF you do the upgrade to the new software then don't log in to lock your location you will be limited to 50m range and 30m height and no live video feed. This is mostly to do with the new Chinese drone regulations coming into force. The log in determined your location and sets the parameters allowed for flight in that country. Though so far DJI are saying it will only affect Chinese flyers.

Of course there is much deliberation on these and many other forums about what other changes they will implement in the future with this new found level of control.

Basically if you are outside China and re log in after the software upgrade their 'should' be no changes for you. Of course you do have the option of ignoring the update altogether and therefor no changes at all.

What are the parameters that it sets when it knows where you are...and why would that be a worry?...not trying to be clever just understand how it might affect me.

If is is going to limit me to 400' then fair enough thats what the law says. What else is it going to limit?

Why would I be worried that it knows where I am ? I allready have to file a flight plan that anyone can look at...but I am sure there are other issues that I have not understood and could do with someone explaining those

So with all this hollaballoo with DJI's ever increasing restrictions on personal use of drones how long until people start figuring out how to jailbreak these and get away from DJI software? I'm all for responsible flight within the confines of the law but for DJI to feel they have the right to impose upon people is in my opinion against our rights. I personally fly within the law but I do that by choice I don't need some company in China deciding what I can and cannot do here in the U.S.

I have the ability to drive my car 100mph the wrong way down the interstate, if I chose to do it Chrysler or my car wouldn't stop me.

No but I am sure you might like someone to stop a load of other people doing it when you were driving the right way

No but I am sure you might like someone to stop a load of other people doing it when you were driving the right way
I think if 10,000 drones out of 800,000 maybe more sold in the USA that hit ppl or did major damage it would be a problem. But really how many actual people have been hit/killed or property seriously damaged to the point that it warrants this kind of oversight/control for recreational/ Hobby 95% are toys? I would be more worried about Amazon flying thousands of drones that weigh 100 pounds carrying 30 pounds all over above my head my house my kids and roads.

Hows this for a first post!

Here is my take on this from DJI....for anyone to speculate that nothing will happen if you do this update is trusting DJI far too much. We have already seen that they will cripple your product if you update the Go App and don't re-register. Who does that? The last three firmware releases broke things, like the gimbal. When I got my Mavic, I updated to 550 - since it told me to, and it was fine. Updated to 600 and every now and then either on startup the gimbal is lazy and rolls back to center, or worse yet when flying it would randomly stop recording and reset, like on startup. I was told that it couldn't be a firmware update by a DJI tech in another forum, but low and behold the 700 update fixed that problem. (and broke other gimbals) Now that DJI is getting heavy handed with this next "forced" update, I rolled back to 400. On 400 you can still use Litchi without issues. (700 too) Look at what DJI is telling you about this next update....if you have local flight restrictions in place, guess what....now your Quad will have them in the app. I suspect that they need you to re-register, so that if you try to unlock the area to fly in, this can only be done by "currently confirmed registered" users. Now, here is the other thing....what happens if the flight rules change in your area...how does DJI update the GEO data? I speculate that they will make you connect their app to their serves every now and then for updates, so they can stop you from flying anytime the flight rules change. How about a novel idea of just a warning and you then take responsibility for your own actions? This makes sense, since sometimes we may travel to another area and not be aware of the rules before flying. Currently you can turn off GEO. Will you still be able to do this after this "forced" update?
Of course this is all speculation on my part, but for DJI to want this update bad enough to cripple your customers quads if you don't re-register...something is fishy....

Reactions: Blades
I think if 10,000 drones out of 800,000 maybe more sold in the USA that hit ppl or did major damage it would be a problem. But really how many actual people have been hit/killed or property seriously damaged to the point that it warrants this kind of oversight/control for recreational/ Hobby 95% are toys? I would be more worried about Amazon flying thousands of drones that weigh 100 pounds carrying 30 pounds all over above my head my house my kids and roads.

You said it right there, folks who spend the money on DJI are probably not gonna do too much dumb **** for the most part. Every group has it's special snowflakes of course but kids buying the crap off of Amazon or tower hobbies, etc that's the folks that won't care.

Reactions: Blades
A couple things.

1) A couple weeks ago a hacked DJI database was posted. So it could be that they're beefing up the encryption and want to get it into the products asap.

2) In the e-mail I received from DJI there was this phrase:
All existing flight safety limitations, such as geofencing boundaries and altitude limits, remain the same.

So at first blush, harmless. But ... this doesn't mean that they have not removed over-ride features. Or perhaps will increase restrictions in the future.

Reactions: Jerry
And to round it off again, this is not a forced update! If you update then you have to register.

Hows this for a first post!

Here is my take on this from DJI....for anyone to speculate that nothing will happen if you do this update is trusting DJI far too much. We have already seen that they will cripple your product if you update the Go App and don't re-register. Who does that? The last three firmware releases broke things, like the gimbal. When I got my Mavic, I updated to 550 - since it told me to, and it was fine. Updated to 600 and every now and then either on startup the gimbal is lazy and rolls back to center, or worse yet when flying it would randomly stop recording and reset, like on startup. I was told that it couldn't be a firmware update by a DJI tech in another forum, but low and behold the 700 update fixed that problem. (and broke other gimbals) Now that DJI is getting heavy handed with this next "forced" update, I rolled back to 400. On 400 you can still use Litchi without issues. (700 too) Look at what DJI is telling you about this next update....if you have local flight restrictions in place, guess what....now your Quad will have them in the app. I suspect that they need you to re-register, so that if you try to unlock the area to fly in, this can only be done by "currently confirmed registered" users. Now, here is the other thing....what happens if the flight rules change in your area...how does DJI update the GEO data? I speculate that they will make you connect their app to their serves every now and then for updates, so they can stop you from flying anytime the flight rules change. How about a novel idea of just a warning and you then take responsibility for your own actions? This makes sense, since sometimes we may travel to another area and not be aware of the rules before flying. Currently you can turn off GEO. Will you still be able to do this after this "forced" update?
Of course this is all speculation on my part, but for DJI to want this update bad enough to cripple your customers quads if you don't re-register...something is fishy....

Funny you mention that, my drone was fine, did an update and lazy gimbal, sent it back they claim it was gimbal overload and repaired it. Now the kicker is I had to pester them w/ several e-mails to find out what the actual repair was and was never actually told more than gimbal overload was the fault. So my thinking is there was nothing wrong at all with the gimbal and their software ****** the pooch. Had to be drone has never been crashed, actually only flown about 5 times since bought, always landed on a landing pad to prevent gimbal impact and debris flying up into the gimbal. During transport and in my house it stays secure as **** in a Pelican case w/ custom cut foam. Has to be software or they just made the **** gimbals on this drone too fragile.

Note that this is wrong. Chinese flyers are exempt. It is only international customers I read, meaning the US, Europe, etc.

Found it:
Those who do purchase DJI drones and actually want to use them to their fully advertised abilities are required to set up a DJI account here and should have the details of their drone’s unique manufacturing number handy while doing so. Oddly enough, the requirement doesn’t apply to customers in DJI’s home territory of China.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111