DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Add me to the DJI Goggles are "meh" group...

I hadn't run into the look up problem because there always had been two of us, one with the RC and one with the goggles. I suspect there is no headband solution for the look up situation. It would require a chin strap which doesn't sound to appealing. I am going to design and 3D print a belt hook and when landing just remove the goggles and hang them on my belt.

I had a pair when they first came out and sold them because of the focus problem. I just another pair and the focus fixers. I agree the headband is a pain in the a$$

Wish there was such a place. I don't live too far from the Colorado-based DJI store. The unfortunate thing is "most" of the drones and expensive stuff they have on their sales floor are just empty shells, no guts, or real cameras. So they don't work.

For those that wear glasses I just saw this on youtube. focus-fixers

I just ordered a couple different strengths. It looks like a great product, we'll see how it works. No if they can solve the "fogging" problem, then the head-band for those with non-standard craniums!
Hahahahah :)

I have returned mine. The process was fairly simple.
1. Go to Amazon and find the order and select return.
2. Then they tell you they can't return it the regular way, you need to talk to someone.
3. You put in your number and they call you.
4. They say they will generate an email to DJI which happened right away.
5. DJI responds with an RMA number which happened the same day. But I have to pay for shipping.
6. I was concerned because one of my cats loves to bite styrofoam and though I keep him away from new products, I was careless, he did a number on the top foam, poking quite a few fang holes. I replied to the DJI RMA email and attached a picture to see if this will be an issue or cost me. If it was, then I would sell locally on Craigslist. But the rep responded that it was fine. I responded with a thank you from me and my cat and included gratuitous cat picture. ;-)
7. Pack them up and take them to the UPS store.

Last edited:
Reactions: fluf
I hadn't run into the look up problem because there always had been two of us, one with the RC and one with the goggles. I suspect there is no headband solution for the look up situation. It would require a chin strap which doesn't sound to appealing. I am going to design and 3D print a belt hook and when landing just remove the goggles and hang them on my belt.
Cool!!!

Wish there was such a place. I don't live too far from the Colorado-based DJI store. The unfortunate thing is "most" of the drones and expensive stuff they have on their sales floor are just empty shells, no guts, or real cameras. So they don't work.

I just ordered a couple different strengths. It looks like a great product, we'll see how it works. Now if they can solve the "fogging" problem, then the head-band for those with non-standard craniums!

Wow, it's amazing that there is such a thing as the focus fixers specifically for DJI Goggles. And based on our experiences, not so amazing that there is "overwhelming demand" that they are backordered to August 16th. I look forward to your review. That's great that someone was so enterprising.

I also ran into "fogging" on my final test. If that and the headband can be solved, whoopee!

On the other hand, we or a third party should not have to fix these for DJI. It is not congruent with the perfection they put into their other products.

Reactions: MavicMo
I've been wanting to buy one but reading these comments, makes me think I should try them instead. Is there anywhere you can try them out? Perhaps just in store, pop in a SD card with some pre-recorded drone flights and test?
Trying them on is a good idea and love the idea of bringing some footage on a card. I'd look at who deals them on DJI's site, look for a local dealer and call.

If you are in NYC, perhaps B&H, if in LA Advexure (advexure.com), they are a dealer who supplies the other dealers and have things first, even before BH. I bought the SPARK with "fly more kit" about a week before even B&H had it.

But the Amazon experience was painless (see my other post) and then you can really try the goggles out. I experimented with many of the brilliant creative suggestions shared here to see if I could find a way to live with the fit and the focus. I really wanted it to work and I had the luxury of trying different things for two weeks.
Trying them on is a good idea and love the idea of bringing some footage on a card. I'd look at who deals them on DJI's site, look for a local dealer and call.

If you are in NYC, perhaps B&H, if in LA Advexure (advexure.com), they are a dealer who supplies the other dealers and have things first, even before BH. I bought the SPARK with "fly more kit" about a week before even B&H had it.

But the Amazon experience was painless (see my other post) and then you can really try the goggles out. I experimented with many of the brilliant creative suggestions shared here to see if I could find a way to live with the fit and the focus. I really wanted it to work and I had the luxury of trying different things for two weeks.

(To be clear, they give you 30 days. I was out of town when they came the first week, thus my 2 week reference.)

Last edited:
And "I" on the other hand think they're amazing! I genuinely have no problems with the clarity of the image in any way whatsoever.
In fact I never thought they could be so good tbh. Regarding the head band fitment, it fits my head brilliantly, I have a small to medium head size so I'm not sure if that's anything to do with it.
I just love the close up viewing on the HD transmission. I truly love them. My only gripe is the head tracking doesn't wasn't to work.. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong?
Overall I think it's probably a bit of a hit and miss thing whether they're suited to your eyes and head.

If you can focus at 10" your all set. As our eyes age most of us that distance gets farther and farther away. With 4+ readers I get a perfectly clear. My head band isn't that bad. I can flip them up and they stay on, I can't go jumping around but it's tolerable. I can't think of any goggles that flip up at all besides dji. I got some drops for foging have tried it yet, mine fog up here in this Florida heat with 100% humidity in 30 seconds to the point I can't see the screen

Guys, I've been wanting the DJI Goggles for a while now but these comments make me pause.
In my case I HAVE to wear reading glasses 2.0 mag - I keep seeing references to the Fat Shark
having the ability to install lenses to correct for this. Can someone tell me which Fat Shark model
allows this or give me a link to the ones that do? My FPV flying has always been with the cheapies
with my phone installed and focus of the image and comfort have always been an issue with readers
on. THANKS A MILLION ! Great forum
John

My wife got me these as a present. Was pretty excited as I also fly FPV Drones and use Fatshark HD3s. Figured it would be pretty awesome as I'm usually very impressed with DJI products.

But after just a few flights I'm not all that thrilled with them. Actually they are a bit of a disappointment, but its probably because I had higher expectations of them. DJI has set the bar pretty high when they release stuff so I expected the same "wow" factor.

What I don't care for;
  • The "View" - I thought having a huge screen in front of my eyes would be cool, fill my vision. But it is like sitting at the front or near the front of a theater. I find I have to "scan" the screen to take in the image/view. I'd rather be sitting a few rows further back where I can see everything without moving my eyes around the screen
  • I don't get a good sense of "size" - For whatever reason, I can't get a sense of size with these or how close I really am to objects. Meaning with my Fatsharks I can thread a needle with my drone, I have a good sense just how close to objects I am, but with these I can't seem to be able to judge distance to objects like trees, houses, and other obstacles
  • Not that immersive - My expectations, with them coming from DJI would have been more of a VR experience, but they aren't. It is truly as some people have said, just holding your tablet/smart device closer to your face.
  • If you need reading glasses they are a pain - I wish they did something like Fatshark with regard to selling lenses if you wear glasses. Makes it very easy as when you switch from having the goggles on to taking them off you don't need to fuss with your readers
  • They fog up easily if you wear glasses - My readers are fogging up. They need a stronger fan or an option to vary the speed of the fan for those that wear glasses. Its not like they didn't take glasses into consideration cause if you look at the rubber mask piece there are cut-outs for the arms of glasses
  • Really Big - These things are huge. I don't know why they had to make them as large as they did. They are even bigger than most VR goggles. Why couldn't they have gone with something smaller like the Fatsharks.
  • Head band doesn't work for me - Apparently I don't have the right head shape cause no matter how I put them on and flip the actual goggles up it feels like the unit is going to fall off my head. I've tried all kinds of positions and none feels secure on my head with the goggles flipped up. I wind up having to completely take them off my head so I don't accidentally drop them
  • Touch Screen is okay - Wish they would have included a "cursor" or something like that. I've unintentionally pushed a button I didn't want and had to back out.. Not a huge deal but it would have been nice.

I tried them with my Spark and it had too much lag. To the point I don't consider it useable. I don't know if there some additional setting changes you need to make when you use a cable. But I bought the goggles to use with my Mavic and Phantom 4 (I know it uses the cable too)

So what do I like about them? Well they work very seamlessly with the Mavic.

At this point I'd still rather fly using my Ipad for the FPV image when needed. I don't plan on selling them. I'll use them for my wife and friends that want to see what the Mavic sees. Where I think they would be useful is if you are doing something like a "Search and Rescue" effort or you are needed to look for something or at something and study it.

Just my .02
Which version of fat sharks do u prefer?
I sent back my DJI Goggles as I stated before due to extremely disappointing performance.
The same issues as you.

I use the HD3s. But its strictly for FPV racing and Freestyle not my DJI drones...

Guys, I've been wanting the DJI Goggles for a while now but these comments make me pause.
In my case I HAVE to wear reading glasses 2.0 mag - I keep seeing references to the Fat Shark
having the ability to install lenses to correct for this. Can someone tell me which Fat Shark model
allows this or give me a link to the ones that do? My FPV flying has always been with the cheapies
with my phone installed and focus of the image and comfort have always been an issue with readers
on. THANKS A MILLION ! Great forum
John
I had the fatsharks hd3's and kept them for a week before selling them due to the optics being an absolute joke! The edges are blurry and the screens look small.
I've bought the sky zone v4's and they are fantastic. The screens are crystal clear and bigger, with no blurry edges whatsoever, plus you have the option to change the diopters inside to adjust the optics in the case of them not suiting your eyes. The diopters are exactly the same as the fat sharks. Simply slide them in.
They also come with diversity built in.
And an optional 3d camera which is fantastic, really immersive. However they would be used mainly for racing drones or fixed wing aircraft predominantly. Although they do have hdmi also, so you could use them with the Mavic if you have something like the Nvidia shield K1 tablet. HERES THE LINK.

Skyzone SKY02S V+ 3D FPV Goggle/Video Glasses with Built-in - Tomtop.com

Regarding the Dji goggles, I can categorically assure you that they are crystal clear and the screen looks as if the you have a 50" TV in from your eyes.
They're absolutely amazing trust me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clinton1

I just ordered a couple different strengths. It looks like a great product, we'll see how it works. No if they can solve the "fogging" problem, then the head-band for those with non-standard craniums!
If you can get a real pair you really don't need to be connected to a camera, there are 3 or 4 demo videos built in that you can watch, that should give you a good idea.

With regard to eyeglasses steaming up, there is a divers' trick, spit on the lense and rub the saliva over the surface then give them a quick wash. I tried my goggles for the first time yesterday and my glasses soon steamed up, after the spit and wash they didn't.
"Wash" in this instance = pass them through the slow flow coming from a tap then shake the water off.

I just read all the comments here and am hoping for the best. I wear bifocals and found them to be utterly useless. Ordered the DJI insert lenses and they should come today. I will try out the goggles with the inserts and get back to you all soon. Hope my head is the right shape and have no problem with the headband. From the information gleaned from all of you here, I think I will forego the head tracking feature and stick with the controller joysticks. I just anticipate the view from above for video purposes. The ability to discern distance to an object concerns me however.

These goggles are the best thing I've ever bought! I never fly without them! I don't even use a phone or tablet,just goggles! When you stop to think what you are actually getting here with these they're amazing, no wires, no battery hanging off, no antenna sticking out, really good battery life. I've two pairs of goggles simultaneously paired with my Mavic, it's a blast!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661