DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Advice for shooting modes

hopeful21

Reactions
Shooting Modes on my Air2S or Mini 3 are a little daunting to a newbie, but I'm trying to take it step by step.

Does anyone have any advice on what would be the most appropriate choice to film a large house with a large garden and a small lake, and why it is the most appropriate?

There is a height limit here of 300 feet.

Thanks folks.

Reactions: LoudThunder
I'm not sure what you mean by shooting "modes"? What information are you looking for specifically?

4K is definitely worth it, whatever the release destination.
YouTube loves 4K. 2K (1080P) can look worse.

There's no disadvantage to shooting 60fps other than file size. Except if it's low light, you lose one stop of exposure. Otherwise, it doesn't matter. Some of the "canned" moves and "auto trace" modes offered by the Mini 3 are only available at 30 fps.

h.265 file format seems the better choice - it's a more advanced codec.

Is that what you're looking for?

Well thanks for that everyone. I called them "Shooting Modes" because that is how they are referred to on page 56 of the Mini 3 Pro v2 User Guide when it is explaining the DJI Fly app. It then further classifies them as "Mastershots, Hyperlapse, Pano and Quickshots".

Each one of these headings has several methods. For example, Pano has Dronie, Circle, Rocket etc.

I would like to select the most appropriate from these 14 or 15 methods.

Last edited:
Check what codec your video software supports — not all can handle H.265. I shoot H.264 for maximum portability.

4k definitely. Frame rate depends on the look you are going for. 24 fps for cinematic, 30 fps for TV. 60 fps gives you the option of slowing down to half-speed without losing quality if you want some slomo.

If you are just starting out, I recommend watching some of the videos by Stewart and Alina. Thy are professional cinematographers and do a good job of explaining why certain options are a good choice for different circumstances (rather than just saying what the 'best' setting is).

Thank you, Robert. To quote the manual (and it's not very well written)

"Pano: Choose from Sphere, 180 Wide Angle, Vertical, Quickshots Choose from Dronie, Rocket, Circle, Helix, Boomerang and Asteroid."

I don't think that it was written by a technical author, and it doesn't really explain the 'Big Picture' and then launch into the detail.

So I'm still trying to get my head around it.

I'll try your Stewart and Alina videos. Many thanks.

There is no answer to your question.
It's like asking what colour is best.
The most appropriate depends on what you like and what you want to show.
Do some experimenting to get a feel for what works best for you and your subject matter.

If you are looking to produce a short video, you will need more than one type of shot anyway.

Stewart and Alina have a short video course on drone videos which I recommend. Currently on sale for $10 (regularly $60). (Sale ends October 31.)

Most of the information in the video course is in their other videos, but the course pulls it all together in an easy-to-understand sequence. I considered it worth the money when I bought it.

I say, shoot all of them, only you can say which is the most appropriate, based on your skills, your ability to select the correct camera settings, the weather, the surroundings, and most important--the subject (House, yard and pond...)...

Watch some YouTube Videos on the type of photography you are trying to perform.

Thank you, Robert. To quote the manual (and it's not very well written)

"Pano: Choose from Sphere, 180 Wide Angle, Vertical, Quickshots Choose from Dronie, Rocket, Circle, Helix, Boomerang and Asteroid."

I don't think that it was written by a technical author, and it doesn't really explain the 'Big Picture' and then launch into the detail.

So I'm still trying to get my head around it.

I'll try your Stewart and Alina videos. Many thanks.
In the DJI advert movies they show you these various clips, in order that you can see what the drone is doing and the what the filmed outcome looks like. That is the best thing for you to watch, regarding the video aspect of these various moves.

As for still shots, the pano mode shows you the various modes for that sort of thing. The sphere will make the world you are shooting look like a mini earth. This is okay for some things but rather useless for the most part. It's just a cool effect. The 180 wide-angle pano will make the drone hover and then the camera will shift around the visible area, taking a number of photo from your far left side to your far right side, getting in a vast 180 degrees of view of a scene and then stitching them all together to make a large viewing field.

Imagine standing on a mountain and then looking at the sky and valley below. Stick out your arms to each side of you. This is the field of view the 180 (degree) Pano will capture as a still image. Now, if you could draw out into the viewed area and you could make a huge rectangle, then divide that area up with lines across and straight up and down until you have a sort of grid in front of you, say 8 or 12 sections or more, the drone camera will create a photo of each one of those sections as an individual photo.

The drone yaws from one side to the other and the camera takes one shot each of your 8 or 12 or more sections within your rectangle. It then stitches all those individual images together to make one huge photo. THAT, is what the 180 wide-angle pano (Panorama) mode does with your drone and camera.

If you were hovering in front of a waterfall and you wanted to get the whole tall waterfall in one photo, then you would choose Vertical from your options. This would turn the camera sideways and shot from the bottom to the top, or top to bottom, of your waterfall. It then stitches all those images together to give you one single tall image, showing you the entire waterfall in a long photo.

As I mentioned, for the video portion of those shooting modes, you'd be best to look at the video examples that DJI show in their advert videos. They do a great job of showing these examples to allow the user to understand what is happening.

You're not going to believe it but I forgot about the various modes. I tried them at first because I was curious but have failed to use them ever since. I would guess for each of the moves it can do with the modes it's smoother than I am manually but I still prefer to do it myself since that is the part I most enjoy about flying. Try them all, see what you like, as you grow imitate them manually and dont worry about perfection unless you're getting paid and judged for the output.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fuckyoupaymenowww