DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S vs. M2P camera quality

Let me put it a different way. What do you WANT the M3 to have that the MA2s doesn’t have?
I'm not 100% sure what the MA2s has, but some upgrades from the M2P to the M3P would be 60fps at 4K (the MA2s has it), Quad Bayer possibly, mechanical shutter would be nice, as would an optical zoom.

But I'm very happy now with my M2P. But we'll see next week when I get my hands on an MA2s. My M2P is 2 year old tech. If it weren't for the fixed aperture, I'd seriously consider the MA2s. Based on what I've heard.

The restrictions on exposure control in video is a deal breaker for me. If I want 1/60 or 1/30, I need to be able to change things more than 1 stop at a time. And I want to do that with aperture, not ISO.

But this is a personal preference.

Reactions: Droniac
I'm not 100% sure what the MA2s has, but some upgrades from the M2P to the M3P would be 60fps at 4K (the MA2s has it), Quad Bayer possibly, mechanical shutter would be nice, as would an optical zoom.

But I'm very happy now with my M2P. But we'll see next week when I get my hands on an MA2s. My M2P is 2 year old tech. If it weren't for the fixed aperture, I'd seriously consider the MA2s. Based on what I've heard.

The restrictions on exposure control in video is a deal breaker for me. If I want 1/60 or 1/30, I need to be able to change things more than 1 stop at a time. And I want to do that with aperture, not ISO.

But this is a personal preference.
See I think we are on basically the same page but just thinking about it differently.

When I said the MA2s was replacing the M2Pro in the lineup I meant it in the same way the MA2 replaced the MPP in the lineup. Up until the MA2 you could make an argument that the MA1 didn’t have Occusync, was too small and loud, without any real upgrades over the MPP but the M2Zoom and M2Pro were way more expensive so the MPP still had its place. Then the MA2 came and all of a sudden there was no reason to buy the MPP.

With the MA2s there are going to be very few if no takers for the more expensive M2Pro.

If and when the M3 ever comes out it’s going to need something like a bigger sensor or optical zoom to get people excited to buy it and that’s going to require a larger drone. A larger drone is going to put it in a different category as the M2.

This is where I’m coming from when I say the MA2s is the replacement for the M2Pro

it still needs the side obstacle sensors to be comparable to M2Pro. And, actually, the variable aperture is also important for increasing exposure time, something that will never be easily done with MA2s. Its something I dearly wished for in any stabilised camera. Lastly, the (expensive) ability to switch cameras on the M2 (zoom vs 1") is something nice to have, but I think no one ever used this option.

But, is it worth the extra coin to me for the M2P? Nope. So, it seems DJI found another sweet spot. I call self cannibalizing a win.

I am really just curious, what do you use the adjustable aperture for?
I know this was not a reply to me, but this is my reason.
I haven't had the benefit of an adjustable aperture to try on a drone as both of my low end drones have fixed apertures but having to land, figure out what filter to use, swap out the battery (because it is now a partially used battery) launch again and then reposition for the shot is way too cumbersome for me. Add to that, that I hike to most of my flight locations and fly my drones all through the winter in Sub-Zero temps so I can't be fumbling with filters or I will freeze my hands off. Also, as is often the case, as soon as I get the drone back up with the filter on the lighting has changed. I haven't really tried using the EV adjustments with filters - maybe I should give that's try instead.

Regardless, it would be great if DJI dropped the price of the M2P since they don't sell refurbished ones to Canada, then maybe I'd consider one.

Chris

I know this was not a reply to me, but this is my reason.
I haven't had the benefit of an adjustable aperture to try on a drone as both of my low end drones have fixed apertures but having to land, figure out what filter to use, swap out the battery (because it is now a partially used battery) launch again and then reposition for the shot is way too cumbersome for me. Add to that, that I hike to most of my flight locations and fly my drones all through the winter in Sub-Zero temps so I can't be fumbling with filters or I will freeze my hands off. Also, as is often the case, as soon as I get the drone back up with the filter on the lighting has changed. I haven't really tried using the EV adjustments with filters - maybe I should give that's try instead.

Regardless, it would be great if DJI dropped the price of the M2P since they don't sell refurbished ones to Canada, then maybe I'd consider one.

Chris

Do you point the drone at a similarly lit scene while the drone is still in hand? If not, you may want to try that too. You may not get a perfect reading, but hopefully, it gets you close enough that you can tweak in the air as you suggested. At sunset or sunrise, you can make your choice based on whether you expect the light to increase or decrease. It's still a hassle, but hopefully taking a pre-flight reading will at least allow you to avoid that initial time spent in the air.

Reactions: Chrislaf
Now that the A2S is out it will be interesting to see the photo comparisons between it and the M2P. If the photos are sharp in a wide range of lighting conditions and have low noise at a range of relatively low ISOs (<800) I might be interested.

Chris

Now that the A2S is out it will be interesting to see the photo comparisons between it and the M2P. If the photos are sharp in a wide range of lighting conditions and have low noise at a range of relatively low ISOs (<800) I might be interested.

Chris
When adjustable as with my M2P, I have found that aside ISO above 200 begins to introduce a significant amount of graininess into photos. Less so with video.

i had just ordered the M2P before the A2S was confirmed to be coming.
I returned the M2P unopened, and have now ordered the A2S.
hoping that the A2S will have the photo features that I'm looking for, plus portability and other new features.
My only reference is my Mini2, whose photo files at ISO 400 are totally acceptable to my standards. Especially so when working with pano shots with multiple frames.
these recent dji's and the cameras attached are really impressive.

When adjustable as with my M2P, I have found that aside ISO above 200 begins to introduce a significant amount of graininess into photos. Less so with video.
Wow, never would have thought that at ISO 200 you would get a significant amount of noticeable grain on the M2P. On my two low end drones, I never go above ISO 100. You would think with a larger sensor you should be able to go higher before seeing ‘unacceptable’ noise. I have been reconsidering my thinking on the A2S with regard to an adjustable aperture but I’m in going to wait and see what the review and photos look like. I’m in no hurry to purchase, but I do like the price and the size/weight for my uses.

Chris

Hi Brett - do you think the MA2s is worth the $300 premium over the MA2? Comparing the FlyMore bundles. On the fence right now between the MA2 and MA2s.
I've been in the market for an MA2 for a few weeks, watching classifieds here and on eBay and just ordered the new 's today based on the advancements DJI came up with for it and having just learned of it's arrival in the game. The only thing that might have made it beat my M2P (remains to be seen yet and I intend to put them head to head in several different scenarios) is aperture adjustment, or lack thereof for the 's. From a business standpoint though I understand why DJI didn't go down that rabbit hole with the 's as it would likely curtail the sales of the M2P.

Wow, never would have thought that at ISO 200 you would get a significant amount of noticeable grain on the M2P. On my two low end drones, I never go above ISO 100. You would think with a larger sensor you should be able to go higher before seeing ‘unacceptable’ noise. I have been reconsidering my thinking on the A2S with regard to an adjustable aperture but I’m in going to wait and see what the review and photos look like. I’m in no hurry to purchase, but I do like the price and the size/weight for my uses.

Chris
Of course I view on my 80” TV

Chris

You should go look at sample pictures at different ISO settings and decide for yourself and maybe even download some sample images to play with. I am in the camp where it's better to have a picture than no picture at all. As a result, I'll take a shot at high ISO on any of these drones over nothing at all. You can always try to clean it up in your photo editor of choice, and you may be surprised at what you are able to achieve. I don't find the high ISO photos objectionable enough to not bother taking them. That's coming from a full-frame DSLR user. My first DSLR experience was with a Nikon D100 which had pretty bad noise, much worse than the M2P or Air2s and that camera had a much larger sensor. Digital cameras have come a really long way.

I don't own an M2P and just got an Air2s yesterday, but I've seen side-by-side comparisons of both. Neither camera is better, just different. The M2P boosts the shadows and as a result, you get more detail at the expense of noise. The Air2s favors noise reduction over shadow detail so you get cleaner-looking images at the expense of detail. I haven't done this, but IMO the results would likely be similar if you processed the images to have the same levels, contrast, and noise reduction. Get the drone that fits your needs best in terms of size and features, enjoy it, and don't look back. It's easy to get caught up in analysis paralysis, but honestly, it's hard for me to see anyone being disappointed with either if you take the time in post to achieve the best results.

Reactions: Greenflash
I want F/2 24-48 zoom or F/2.8.Sensor stabilization like Sony or Olympus.

Wouldn't that be nice, but that darn thing would look like Pinnochio with a swollen nose. It'd be hard to see that happening on anything the size of an M2P or smaller unless they did some periscope style lens like some of the smartphones have.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want sensor stabilization when you already have gimbal stabilization? That seems a bit redundant and would just add cost with little benefit in return.

• Haha
Reactions: rxlawdude

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zenbookwriting