DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 Release date Wed. June 28?

Not a chance. If that ever exists there is no way DJI would release it with the Air series.
Honestly 3+ is more than what's actually needed for consumer drones.
I could see it helpful in Enterprise or the Matrice or other High end specialty aircraft.
You would think they would use some sense and not killed the momentum of what is arguably the finest drone they have ever created but technology rolls on and sometimes the exact timing is out of your control. Unless you are Apple, your next 6G phone might not be your best phone; it comes when it comes. Still, DJI has full control over this so I'm sure they'll do the smart thing. If O4 is ready now and the Mavic 4 Pro is not.....

You would think they would use some sense and not killed the momentum of what is arguably the finest drone they have ever created but technology rolls on and sometimes the exact timing is out of your control. Unless you are Apple, your next 6G phone might not be your best phone; it comes when it comes. Still, DJI has full control over this so I'm sure they'll do the smart thing. If O4 is ready now and the Mavic 4 Pro is not.....
I agree. But DJI did also release a new Inspire and Matrice and they also do not have O4.
I would guess, that Ocusync is more hardwired as opposed to Firmware, so, if that's true then it could only be released on a new model, and clearly the Inspire or Matrice would have it first.

I agree. But DJI did also release a new Inspire and Matrice and they also do not have O4.
I would guess, that Ocusync is more hardwired as opposed to Firmware, so, if that's true then it could only be released on a new model, and clearly the Inspire or Matrice would have it first.
They new Matrice 350 does claim 20km maximum control range with O3 Enterprise.

for me it would have to come under the 500g threshold ,so that with my A2 C of C i could fly it in the A1 sub category of the open category,then the only difference between that and my Mini 3 pro ,would just be no intentional flight over uninvolved people ,but it would benefit from the other freedoms the sub 250g drones now enjoy as far as separation and places where it can be flown
disclaimer the statements above are based on my interpretation of the open category as provided by the CAA for drones in the A1 sub category
others may feel that my interpretation is incorrect
i look forwards to comments from others on this subject

Reactions: Hauptmann
Probably the first DJI drone in a couple of years I won't be buying because I already bought the last 4 major consumer launches.
Yeah me too. And then watch as they quickly announce basically a replacement for it a few months later. Now all I have are basically obsolete drones with the exception of maybe the Mini 3 Pro. I'll wait for the Air 3 Pro Plus.

Reactions: mavic3usa
Like two previous commenters said, I'm too old and I'm happy with my Air 2S.
I'm like you. And I lost interest when they come up with a new version of the same model and the older model barely gets any upgrade support. I'm done being on the leading edge. I'll probably wait for the second generation Air 3.

To me, the ONLY way to upgrade the 2S is to go with the Mavic 3 Classic. I really like my 2S, but the Classic offers all the upgrades I really want.
I did this too. The Classic is at a level where I can stop looking at the new drones for a few years - as I’m happy with what it does, not what it doesn’t 👍🏻

for me it would have to come under the 500g threshold ,so that with my A2 C of C i could fly it in the A1 sub category of the open category,then the only difference between that and my Mini 3 pro ,would just be no intentional flight over uninvolved people ,but it would benefit from the other freedoms the sub 250g drones now enjoy as far as separation and places where it can be flown
disclaimer the statements above are based on my interpretation of the open category as provided by the CAA for drones in the A1 sub category
others may feel that my interpretation is incorrect
i look forwards to comments from others on this subject
I'm in agreement with you, OMM. For me, it's <250 grams or nothing. However, I MAY replace my MP2 Pro with the M4 Pro, M5 Pro (or whatever) for domestic USA flights--IF it has a true optical zoom lens. But for Int'l travel, <250 grams!

Reactions: old man mavic
Clearly the Air 3 is aimed at USA Air 2 owners since there's no indication DJI is making the Air 2 compliant with FAA RID requirements that take affect in three months. Makes sense - if I'm thinking of replacing my Air 2 do I buy a two year old Air 2S or a new Air 3...
Air 2 owners who don't need a new drone should consider buying an external RID module rather than buying a new drone just to comply.

Air 2 owners who don't need a new drone should consider buying an external RID module rather than buying a new drone just to comply.
Not if the module ends up costing half the value of the air 2 in the end.I have an air 2and will retire it when RID
starts up,or if it starts up on time. I will probably try and sell that to get a couple bucks out of it.Already have a new
Drone that is RID compliant.But I still am interested to see what the Air 3 brings as far as upgrades.

Not if the module ends up costing half the value of the air 2 in the end.I have an air 2and will retire it when RID
starts up,or if it starts up on time. I will probably try and sell that to get a couple bucks out of it.Already have a new
Drone that is RID compliant.But I still am interested to see what the Air 3 brings as far as upgrades.
My point is DJI isn't launching the Air 3 to help Air 2 owners get over an imaginary hurdle. It's a Remote ID external module not an NFT; the market will determine it's fate just like any other piece of ordinary electronic. The price is already low (under $200) and for sure will get lower; nobody needs to buy a module on day 1. We already know what these will run for, I understand the "tactic" the community uses to justify the cause: the modules are outrageously expensive....just like everyone claimed tire-pressure sensors were too expensive when those came out. You'll be able to get these modules for $50 or less all day long....this year.

Like you, I have an Air 2 but others compliant drones as well and there's little hope the Air 2 will be made compliant (by DJI) but that drone is far from retired. To be honest, I predict zero to very little impact on the secondary market from sellers trying to unload non-compliant drones thinking either there is no solution or no demand left. I think it will be quickly well-known that these drones are just as viable (with an affordable external module) and I also believe there will be a steady and healthy demand for "stealth" drones for the throngs of people who "will not comply."

Reactions: maggior
My Air2s still does the job. No need to upgrade, besides with DJI a new drone means new style batteries I am sure the Air 2s packs won't fit the Air 3 and I can get Air2s batts for 45-55 bucks.
I won't be getting one as I have an A2S and I'm saving the proceeds from my lemonade stand to get a Mavic 3 Pro. So what would be the point?

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
It looks like it's not happening on the 28th of June.
More leaked photos of an Air 3 with TWO cameras but no tease from DJI.
With Air 2S on sale until June 30 it makes no sense to release the Air 3.
Tomorrows announcement will probably be something else.

My point is DJI isn't launching the Air 3 to help Air 2 owners get over an imaginary hurdle. It's a Remote ID external module not an NFT; the market will determine it's fate just like any other piece of ordinary electronic. The price is already low (under $200) and for sure will get lower; nobody needs to buy a module on day 1. We already know what these will run for, I understand the "tactic" the community uses to justify the cause: the modules are outrageously expensive....just like everyone claimed tire-pressure sensors were too expensive when those came out. You'll be able to get these modules for $50 or less all day long....this year.

Like you, I have an Air 2 but others compliant drones as well and there's little hope the Air 2 will be made compliant (by DJI) but that drone is far from retired. To be honest, I predict zero to very little impact on the secondary market from sellers trying to unload non-compliant drones thinking either there is no solution or no demand left. I think it will be quickly well-known that these drones are just as viable (with an affordable external module) and I also believe there will be a steady and healthy demand for "stealth" drones for the throngs of people who "will not comply."
I was not implying that DJI was releasing the Air 3 to help Air 2 owners. The fact that DJI appears not to be issuing a firmware update to make the Air 2 RID compliant is my point, and someone like me with a single drone - Air 2 - might be incline to replace it with an Air 3. In my mind getting the Air 3 will really depend on its specs and differences from the Air 3.

Also do you have a link to the RID module that will work with the Air 2?

It looks like it's not happening on the 28th of June.
More leaked photos of an Air 3 with TWO cameras but no tease from DJI.
With Air 2S on sale until June 30 it makes no sense to release the Air 3.
Tomorrows announcement will probably be something else.
An Air 3 with 2 cameras really??

So to summarize, compared to the Mavic 3 Classic that came out less than 6 months ago, the Air 3 will be lighter, smaller, cheaper, probably with 2 improved cameras and a new RC with an embedded screen that will correct the problems of the first one?

Is that really how DJI wants to screw Mavic 3 Classic owners?

Reactions: pommy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet