DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aircraft warnings

I think I read there is a warning that can come up on the RC for near by planes when flying. I have never had such a warning come up. Do others get a notice that there is a plane nearby? I had a close call the other day and wow that might be too much excitement.
Yes, I've been getting them lately for small planes. If a jetliner is overhead, it doesn't show on my screen, probably because of its altitude. When I get the warning, I either land or hover nice and low until it's out of range, even if it's obviously higher than I intent to be.

Exactly how it is supposed to work. Of course this is dependent on whether the manned acft has a transponder on board and whether they turn it on. From my understanding they are required when they are landing. So if they are flying that low they should be landing or a rescue helicopter. If a plane is flying at 150 feet with no transponder maybe they work for the cartel. HA-HA
Only Class B and Class C airports require ADS-B transponder Class D and Class E do not require it per FAA rules

Only Class B and Class C airports require ADS-B transponder Class D and Class E do not require it per FAA rules

...and these airports broadcast an integrated ADS-B signal that includes everything on radar with a transponder, whether equipped with ADS-B Out or not.

So, if you can receive this signal where you are flying you have pretty good coverage of the airspace, including aircraft that are not transmitting ADS-B.

Reactions: davidarmenb
same experiences here with my classic. As soon as the warning appears you can almost immediately hear or see the plane.
Have seen the warnings also. Although I drop altitude, the manned a/c is usually well above our 400' limit.

The aircraft warnings are entirely dependent on whether the aircraft in question is broadcasting ADS-B signals. Broadcasting ADS-B is strongly recommended by the FAA but there are a lot of small planes in the U.S. that don't have that hardware onboard.

Not entirely true.

Airports integrate data from radar into the ADS-B broadcast from the airport, making it possible for AirSense to "see" traffic that isn't equipped with ADS-B Out.

Also, ADS-B Out units forward traffic that they directly receive from other aircraft, so Airsense may be aware of traffic that it's not receiving ADS-B from directly.

Not entirely true.

Airports integrate data from radar into the ADS-B broadcast from the airport, making it possible for AirSense to "see" traffic that isn't equipped with ADS-B Out.

Also, ADS-B Out units forward traffic that they directly receive from other aircraft, so Airsense may be aware of traffic that it's not receiving ADS-B from directly.
True as long as you are near enough to an airport with your flight to receive the notification.

The FAA never did actually make it a mandatory requirement for all manned aircraft to broadcast ADS-B beyond airspace defined as Class A,B, or C. The requirements for ATC managed airspace is defined in 14 CFR §91.225.

I think you're mistaken.
I respectfully disagree with you. I live just outside of a NFZ for commercial aircraft. If a plane is near by (and i have no idea how far away) i will get a warning on my phone screen saying words to the affect "Caution, aircraft in the area"

True as long as you are near enough to an airport with your flight to receive the notification.

Well, uh, yeah, of course.

You also can't hear sounds if you're too far away. News to anyone?

I respectfully disagree with you. I live just outside of a NFZ for commercial aircraft. If a plane is near by (and i have no idea how far away) i will get a warning on my phone screen saying words to the affect "Caution, aircraft in the area"

DJI Airsense CANNOT be depended upon to notify you of all nearby manned aircraft. Many manned aircraft are not required to have ADS-B at all, and they frequently operate in locations where there is no radar integrated ADS-B coverage for them. VFR traffic outside controlled airspace does not require ADS-B. Military aircraft frequently fly without ADS-B.

ADS-B requirements are not linked to aircraft altitude.

Airsense is worth using and it does provide alerts for some manned aircraft. Trusting it to alert you for all manned aircraft is misguided and dangerous.

Reactions: bitsbytes and okw
I'd like to be wrong, but I insist the Mavic Pro (the first folding DJI consumer drone) does not have Airsense.

The Mavic Pro was released in September 2016. DJI didn't announce Airsense until late 2019, stating that it would be included in all future models over 250g starting in 2020.

I don't think the original Mavic Pro was still even in production in 2020.

It simply is impossible for a Mavic Pro to receive ADS-B signals.

I'm not saying @howardK didn't see what he claims, but it didn't come from an ADS-B broadcast received by his Mavic Pro.

Last edited:
DJI Airsense CANNOT be depended upon to notify you of all nearby manned aircraft. Many manned aircraft are not required to have ADS-B at all, and they frequently operate in locations where there is no radar integrated ADS-B coverage for them. VFR traffic outside controlled airspace does not require ADS-B. Military aircraft frequently fly without ADS-B.

While no one says it, my opinion is ADS-B has largely been replaced/augmented by RID, in concept. We'll know if some future regs show up requiring GA aircraft to start broadcasting RID, or some melding together of ADS-B (large aircraft) and RID (sUAS) and radar data to create a comprehensive airspace traffic and collision management system in high traffic, urban areas.

Thanks for all the great response. Yesterday I flew my Mavic 3 Pro for 30 minuets and Wow, I had 2 low flying planes go over me and a really low helicopter go over me. NO ADS or what ever it is called warning. Is it turned off? Or...maybe those guys just weren't broadcasting. Would be cool to get the warning.

I got it once on my Air 3. I heard the LAFD chopper and instantly saw a notification on my RC2 about a nearly aircraft. Turned to the left and saw the heli rise above the hill. It was flying extremely low, definitely below 400ft. It was pretty cool to see it in action.

Thanks for all the great response. Yesterday I flew my Mavic 3 Pro for 30 minuets and Wow, I had 2 low flying planes go over me and a really low helicopter go over me. NO ADS or what ever it is called warning. Is it turned off? Or...maybe those guys just weren't broadcasting. Would be cool to get the warning.
Make sure it's turned on in the settings. And, yes those aircraft may be operating (legally) without ADS-B. I have numerous agricultural aircraft operating around me and only a couple of them have the capability, for when they are operating near airports. The medivac helicopter based at my hometown has it and uses it continuously, despite being 30 miles outside of controlled airspace.
Point is, you never really know so operate respectively.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roofdrone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman