DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airport using drones to enforce airspace?

Nemocaptain22

Reactions
Are airports using drones to enforce their airspace? I was flying a Mavic pro just outside the 4 nautical mile class d airspace around an airport, about 150 feet up today. And 2 large drones showed up and I think they started surveilling us. They were high up but I could see them pretty well, so I assume they were big. They were operating in class d airspace. They showed up and were on station for about an hour before they left, I assume because their batteries ran out. I am thinking they came directly out after some sort of radar detection of my Mavic pro. The whole experience felt kind of aggressive on their part. I quit flying right away, but then I knew for sure I was in class g airspace, so I just started flying again. They say there and watched me for a while then left. Anyone else have anything like that happen to them???

Reactions: joejaxvic123
Nope, never seen it but then it doesn't surprise me.
More than likely they were flown by contractors, maybe testing out some new type of response etc, maybe even FAA (or whatever equivalent if you're not US).
I know there are anti drone guns, quite a few different makes out there, but then they have to find and pin point their target.
Be interesting to know how they knew you were there.

Nope, never seen it but then it doesn't surprise me.
More than likely they were flown by contractors, maybe testing out some new type of response etc, maybe even FAA (or whatever equivalent if you're not US).
I know there are anti drone guns, quite a few different makes out there, but then they have to find and pin point their target.
Be interesting to know how they knew you were there.

Dji makes available technology to airports that shows the location of dji drones within about a 10 mile radius.

Just wanted to get it out there, that there are now interdiction drones to enforce FAA airspace. Just heard about aeroscope. Guess our airport has aeroscope. And interdiction drones. There were two interdiction drones, seemed like an aggressive response, when one would have been enough. Also, I was well outside their class d airspace, at least 2500'. Startled and surprised me for a while, but after that I just ignored them. It was my second day out with my Mavic pro platinum, which I absolutely love to fly. Got the iPad hooked up to it with an outdoor viewing hood on it, so much fun!!!

Are airports using drones to enforce their airspace? I was flying a Mavic pro just outside the 4 nautical mile class d airspace around an airport, about 150 feet up today. And 2 large drones showed up and I think they started surveilling us. They were high up but I could see them pretty well, so I assume they were big. They were operating in class d airspace. They showed up and were on station for about an hour before they left, I assume because their batteries ran out. I am thinking they came directly out after some sort of radar detection of my Mavic pro. The whole experience felt kind of aggressive on their part. I quit flying right away, but then I knew for sure I was in class g airspace, so I just started flying again. They say there and watched me for a while then left. Anyone else have anything like that happen to them???
Where did this happen?

Just wanted to get it out there, that there are now interdiction drones to enforce FAA airspace. Just heard about aeroscope. Guess our airport has aeroscope. And interdiction drones. There were two interdiction drones, seemed like an aggressive response, when one would have been enough. Also, I was well outside their class d airspace, at least 2500'. Startled and surprised me for a while, but after that I just ignored them. It was my second day out with my Mavic pro platinum, which I absolutely love to fly. Got the iPad hooked up to it with an outdoor viewing hood on it, so much fun!!!

I don't think Aeroscope is out of beta testing yet, and only a couple of major airports are testing it. Plus I'm not clear what use drones would be even if they detected unauthorized flights and launched them.

Ok, just asking the community for info. New member here. Second day out with Mavic pro, two large drones overhead for quite a while, for some reason.

My 19yo daughter saw them too, looked like they had red and blue lights. I didn't have binoculars with me, wish I did, I could tell you more. Funny thing is, there were two. Seemed me like it must be official/government/law enforcement or something like that?

Went flying 3 more times same place, haven't seen them since. but I do like the Mavic pro a lot, fantastic (solid) piece of hardware. FYI: I am a long time RC hobbyist, 35+ years flying RC

Ok, just asking the community for info. New member here. Second day out with Mavic pro, two large drones overhead for quite a while, for some reason.

I didn't mean to imply that you didn't encounter them, but I think it's more likely that they were there for a different reason than to enforce airspace control.

your drone was probably tagged and they ran your information attached to the drone, then wanted a visual conformation, as well as probably a great excuse to deploy the tech.

science fiction, of course.

Yeah, hey you all, I like this MavicPilots forum. You know, here's a story for you, I was flying FPV 10+ years ago, using an RC model with a 480i or 480p ( cant remember) camera, and a mini 2.4 gig tv signal downlink transmitter, 0.6 watts, with a patch antenna on the ground, and a little monitor, with a full enclosed hood built out of foam board sprayed flat black. Complete with bad tv picture and lots of signal drop-outs, bad reception etc. and I gave up it up, until the technology improved, I thought the tech would improve. It sure has improved!! just picked up the Mavic pro recently, and the tech has improved so much, I am so happy with hi def video with no drop outs, and long range. Talk to you later, everyone.

California, Kern County
I used to live in the Antelope Valley, spent many years at Mojave Airport, Edwards AFB, Inyokern, China Lake and flew GA aircraft throughout the local area. I still go back and visit at least once a year. To my knowledge there is no LE or military folks using drones in that area for official surveillance so you might have encountered some other drone hobbyists/ pros while you were flying. If you were outside class D airspace (you didn't mention what airport) and far away from the 2508 MOA you shouldn't of had a problem. Did you try contacting the airport and asking them about other drone activity?

your drone was probably tagged and they ran your information attached to the drone, then wanted a visual conformation, as well as probably a great excuse to deploy the tech.

Suppose if in test part of the technology, they'd be keen for the opportunity to use them, even if the OP is in legal airspace nearby.
Infringing drones just probably aren't a problem very often (if ever !), at least not for another Christmas or two :)

Thank you all for your kind replies to my newbie questions. I probably just got scared and came to the wrong conclusion. I checked the 2508 MOA, I'm near but not in it. I don't expect any further issues because I read the aeronautical charts, and am very aware of what airspace I am flying in. Also, I registered with the faa today, so got no worries now, just gonna have fun with it now, not worry about it. Thanks again for all your kind replies, from Nemocaptain22

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
By the way, My flight on Saturday i had a government helicopter fly through my drone airspace about 250' elevation, paint was orange on the front of the body and dark blue on the back of the body. What do I do? Visually avoid? Or do I have to land? Don't private helicopters have to stay above 500 or 1000'? So at 250' it's government, is that right? What do you do, land?

By the way, My flight on Saturday i had a government helicopter fly through my drone airspace about 250' elevation, paint was orange on the front of the body and dark blue on the back of the body. What do I do? Visually avoid? Or do I have to land? Don't private helicopters have to stay above 500 or 1000'? So at 250' it's government, is that right? What do you do, land?
Understand that it is not "your drone's airspace. You are conducting sUAV hobby operations in the National Airspace System. Manned aircraft will always have the right of way.

With that said, you have to stay out of the helicopter's way and NO they don't have to fly at 500', this is a mis-interpenetration. Read FAR 91.119, the minimum airspace requirements are specific. I suspect the helicopter you saw was either an EMT helicopter or part of the fire fighting contingency.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChickenOverload