DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Alarming: GPS lost mid-flight

beamlord

Reactions
Today I had my first trouble with my mavic pro, which otherwise worked perfectly in the last 2 months.
About 2 minutes into the flight, the drone made strange roll movements left then right - at least according to the video, it was too high and I couldn't exactly see what it was actually doing but it seems this is roll movement beyond gimbal limit?. Right then, these error messages popped up:
1. Warning: Compass failure. Exit P-GPS mode.
2. Warning: During flight, working IMU encounters heading exception, please switch to atti mode if craft behave abnormally

The drone switches to Atti mode and stayed in it for about 45 seconds, during which it obviously started to drift. Luckily, there was not much wind up there. After those 45 seconds, during which I started to descend and fly back, the GPS was restored. I waited for some time, and continued to fly absolutely normally without any incidents whatsoever during the following 15 minutes long flight. Then I changed location and had another long flight on the same day, again flawless.

Still, wondering if this is just a compass calibration due? I did an IMU calibration once a couple of weeks ago and don't think I need to repeat?

Here's the video, from 0:16 you can see where it started.

Last edited:
Got latest firmware and the IMU calibration was done after the firmware upgrade on a perfectly level surface.
My compass calibration could have been off since the last time I did it, it was not in perfect conditions. So I'm hoping it's just that?

K Index was not alarmingly high today. However depending on your location and the amount of cloud cover it could have been a contributing factor.

Planetary K-index | NOAA / NWS Space Weather Prediction Center

If you have recently updated to a new version of DJIGO4 and / or Firmware updates on your bird then this may have been related.
Wow interesting, seems like, even though not alarming high, still higher than usual today - possibly with some bursts which could have been what I experiences today..
p.s. it was very cloudy

I live in San Francisco and typically fly 4 out of 7 days a week, and I have noticed the KP index bounce around dramatically.

I’ve been getting these warnings every time I fly. It always goes into Atti mode. Won’t fly straight. When I hit the brakes it drifts 10-20 feet to left or right as well. I’ve calibrated everything. Updated. New props. Can’t find a solution. I’ll fly it until it chrashes I guess and spend the 100$ on refresh. I don’t have my own computer to use dji assistant. Shouldnt have to. This is a drone you are supposed to be able to fly with a cell phone. I’ve had nothing but issues with mine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inky