DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

..and another one

gnirtS

Reactions
Drone flown 'deliberately' towards light aircraft

A drone was flown deliberately within 20 feet of a light aircraft, its pilot has claimed.

It happened as the PA-31 twin-engined plane was coming in to land at RAF Northolt in west London on 11 June.

The pilot "lost sight of" the drone under his plane's nose, a report from the UK Airprox Board (UKAB) said.

It was "identified as a small white drone of the lightweight hobbyist type", the report added, and it passed about 20 feet below the aircraft.

The small, remote-controlled device "passed close to his right wing and was possibly launched from a park".

The pilot had "no doubt that it was being deliberately flown under the flight path in an attempt to collide with an aircraft".

Seriously doubt the last bit. More likely it either didnt see or couldnt get out of the way. More bad news and bad reputation though.

"The (airplane) pilot had "no doubt that it (the drone) was being deliberately flown under the flight path in an attempt to collide with an aircraft".

Please not that the drone pilot was not apprehended, thus the drone pilots motive can not be established. "The article says" that "the airplane pilot says" that it was flown to try and collide with the aircraft.

Seems like there are a lot of claims with no proof to back them up.

From USA Today -
"Oakland resident Katy O’Neill goes as far as blaming it for shattering her dining room window. "I went outside to look for a dead bird or a ball or something. I didn't see anything like that, but what I did see was a drone hovering high above my house,” she said over direct message."

Riiiight...:rolleyes:

Thats the only bit thats implausible. The rest is highly likely.
More likely the drone operator didnt see the plane or wanted to get a "cool" shot then couldnt get out of the way in time.

Reactions: Former Member
Seems like there are a lot of claims with no proof to back them up.

Well unless you have a plane with cameras fitted you're not going to get hard proof. A drone isn't going to show up on SSR (and likely not even primary radar even if its turned on and filters off).
What we do know is a load of parks around there, people do fly drones from round there and people float the rules all the time.

The other issue is the new UK law with only 1km from airfields can easily mean a drone can be at 400ft and a manned aircraft on approach at or lower than that.

Reactions: Aww@Mavic
Thats the only bit thats implausible. The rest is highly likely.
More likely the drone operator didnt see the plane or wanted to get a "cool" shot then couldnt get out of the way in time.

Agreed. Im a private pilot, and if I saw a drone in my flight path, the first thing I would do is avoid the drone, then contact the tower or other aircraft in the vicinity of the presence of drones in the area. As soon as I landed, I would call the police.

A drone isn't going to show up on SSR (and likely not even primary radar even if its turned on and filters off).

Thanks, I was not sure about this. Something needs to be changed so that claims can be substantiated.

Well unless you have a plane with cameras fitted you're not going to get hard proof. A drone isn't going to show up on SSR (and likely not even primary radar even if its turned on and filters off).
What we do know is a load of parks around there, people do fly drones from round there and people float the rules all the time.

The other issue is the new UK law with only 1km from airfields can easily mean a drone can be at 400ft and a manned aircraft on approach at or lower than that.

@gnirtS , can I ask what was your reason for making this thread? Im not trying to demean or disrespect you in any way, but just wondering what your motivation was.

Further to your previous comment, the testimony of the pilots and subsequent apprehension of the drone pilot is hard proof, whether it was intentional or accidental.

In the USA, there is a criminal law called reckless endangerment. Reckless endangerment is a crime consisting of acts that create a substantial risk of serious physical injury to another person. The accused person isn't required to intend the resulting or potential harm, but must have acted in a way that showed a disregard for the foreseeable consequences of the actions.

Reactions: Classic flyer
Agreed. Im a private pilot, and if I saw a drone in my flight path, the first thing I would do is avoid the drone, then contact the tower or other aircraft in the vicinity of the presence of drones in the area. As soon as I landed, I would call the police.

I doubt he had time to see and avoid. More like "oh a drone" as its already passed at 80kts+.
UK is somewhat streamlined, radio the tower, report the airprox. They'll handle warning and calling police. Fill in paperwork after landing then.
Same for laser pointer events - the system has worked well enough for them to actually arrest people in time for doing that.

@gnirtS , can I ask what was your reason for making this thread? Im not trying to demean or disrespect you in any way, but just wondering what your motivation was.

Its news. Its in the news section. Its relevant to drones.

Further to your previous comment, apprehending the drone pilot is hard proof, whether it was intentional or accidental.

Neither matters under UK law. Intent doesn't matter. He's guilty of a breach of the ANO regardless of intent.
Unfortunately, the chances of him getting caught are slim.

Remember UK policing now has a policy of not attending unless a crime is *in progress*. Even if your house is broken into, assuming they've left the scene the police will contact you for a statement in 1-2 weeks in most areas.

Im utterly sick of the drone cowboys i see around all the time. Very very few comply with any legal or common sense laws when operating. Its spiralling out of control and needs clamping down on.

Reactions: Rocktopper
Im utterly sick of the drone cowboys i see around all the time. Very very few comply with any legal or common sense laws when operating. Its spiralling out of control and needs clamping down on.

What do you do when you see a "drone cowboy" flying out of control?

LOL I have never seen one of these cowboys live but they seem to out themselves on You Tube, and here. I think people are very worried about the laws that will be added (and not enforced) because of a few idiots.

LOL I have never seen one of these cowboys live but they seem to out themselves on You Tube, and here. I think people are very worried about the laws that will be added (and not enforced) because of a few idiots.

I guess this thread has good news and bad news. The good news is that the drone pilot might have been taking off from a (hopefully) sparsely populated park, and not flying over a city. The bad news is that the pilot meandered into airspace and could have caused a catastrophe.

Any pilots from the UK here? Does DJI Go 4 notify you when you are taking off or encroaching in controlled airspace?

See no end of people here flying drones completely contrary to the law. The people im seeing flying legally are in the minority now.
They're flying over town all the time, some are far above 400ft. Pretty much all are way beyond VLOS of the operator. Most people claim not to know there ARE laws.
I know of several premises and attractions that have banned drones from their properties now for health and safety and due to complaints.
People just aren't flying them with any consideration for other people or the laws.

Any pilots from the UK here? Does DJI Go 4 notify you when you are taking off or encroaching in controlled airspace?

You're completely allowed to fly unnotified in controlled airspace in the UK provided the drone is under 7kg in weight. You don't need to talk to or tell anyone.
Go4 doesn't warn about controlled airspace for that reason. It does warn if you're near an ATZ or danger area though (which you just click to accept).
The airfield geofence basically doesnt work. Its a very basic circle from the centre datum of the airfield that means at the ends of the runway it pretty much stops right at the runway threshold.
The law is 1km from the boundary fence.

See no end of people here flying drones completely contrary to the law. The people im seeing flying legally are in the minority now.
They're flying over town all the time, some are far above 400ft. Pretty much all are way beyond VLOS of the operator. Most people claim not to know there ARE laws.
I know of several premises and attractions that have banned drones from their properties now for health and safety and due to complaints.
People just aren't flying them with any consideration for other people or the laws.

Where do you live? I live in Portland Oregon and I never see other drones unless I go to an overgrown ball park nearby and even then I have only seen a couple. I have been to SF and Atlanta recently and did not see one. I flew on Lake Lanier north of Atlanta last week and did not see one all day, though it was a weekday. I know they are out there, just surprised I do not see more of them.

They're flying over town all the time, some are far above 400ft.

I know how you feel. Do you mostly see these on Youtube, or do you hear a drone from your location, look up and say, "there's another one."

I live in small city and I have never, not even one time, seen or heard a drone fly overhead. Unless I am specifically looking for one, or spotting for someone, they are usually hard to notice. I teach people how to fly at a park nearby, and maybe 5% of the time, I see another drone pilot flying there. Almost every single one was is in compliance with the law, flying safely, away from people, and not being rude. Maybe Im just lucky.

Reactions: JDawg
Where do you live? I live in Portland Oregon and I never see other drones unless I go to an overgrown ball park nearby and even then I have only seen a couple. I have been to SF and Atlanta recently and did not see one. I flew on Lake Lanier north of Atlanta last week and did not see one all day, though it was a weekday. I know they are out there, just surprised I do not see more of them.

Ditto. I mean, DJI has sold millions of these things, and to not see any others is strange. They sell like wildfire online, and it makes you think that everyone owns one, but maybe not so many fly them.

Most here don't bother going to a park. I've seen them launch from their garden (likely illegal if its in a town), car parks in town centres (definitely illegal) and so on.
Mostly its tourist areas like beaches, historic landmarks etc.

I normally live and work in Asia and i suspect that's where the millions of sales go. Its not uncommon to have a boat with 60 or so Chinese tourists, of which at least half of those have drones of some sort.
(and all get fined for using them!)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom