DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android USB Charging disable?

DeeX

Reactions
Does anyone know how to disable USB charging on Android?
Perhaps a data only usb cable I can buy?
It really sucks that it auto charges the phone. It will basically drop the battery of the controller in one flight.

Short of modifying the USB cable on an android device I don't think you can stop it from charging.
I seen a video on U-Tube how to modify a USB cable to stop it from charging the android device but I never tried it.

Reactions: ff22
Does anyone know how to disable USB charging on Android?
Perhaps a data only usb cable I can buy?
It really sucks that it auto charges the phone. It will basically drop the battery of the controller in one flight.

As indicated, apparently it is a limitation of the Android OS and cannot be stopped. I read mention of possibly rooting the Android device to prevent it but know nothing about the process.

There is a app 'disable USB charging' in the app store, but you have to root your device. It works for me on my Xiaomi phone and Mi pad 3.

I have a Huawei Ascend XT2 (H1711) cellphone and using the side USB it always charged but I switched to the bottom USB and tada it doesn't charge the phone. There are lots of discussions on this subject but at least for my phone using the bottom USB worked. Good luck.

I use the usb port down middle of rc with an extra cable, that is charging by 500mah i think, so its much better than the original cable.

My setup uses a tablet/phone holder that attaches to the remote but frees up the 'normal' folding phone holder handles and this is where I insert my cheap slim powerbank which I then attach to the micro USB port of the remote (for charging) and use the larger USB port on the bottom of the remote for the tablet. This ensures that the remote doesn't go flat prematurely because of the phone (android) charging issue. I know of others who have velcroed/attached a powerbank to the back of their phone tablet if using the original folding arms which seems to work for them.
And yes I know the manual advises against the use of a powerbank but I, and I know plenty of others, have had no issue with this setup.
Hope that helps.

Reactions: ff22
I have a Huawei Ascend XT2 (H1711) cellphone and using the side USB it always charged but I switched to the bottom USB and tada it doesn't charge the phone. There are lots of discussions on this subject but at least for my phone using the bottom USB worked. Good luck.
Did you have to do anything special to make the full size USB work? I wanted to use it to plug in a tablet but get nothing. Then I tried connecting my phone which works fine with the side micro-USB connector, but still nothing.

Did you have to do anything special to make the full size USB work? I wanted to use it to plug in a tablet but get nothing. Then I tried connecting my phone which works fine with the side micro-USB connector, but still nothing.
Did you remove the connector on the side of the controller when you tried to use the full sized USB? There is a note in the Manual that says that must happen if you want to use the larger USB port.
I should add that having a powerbank plugged in there doesn't count :)

Last edited:
Did you remove the connector on the side of the controller when you tried to use the full sized USB? There is a note in the Manual that says that must happen if you want to use the larger USB port.
I should add that having a powerbank plugged in there doesn't count :)
Yes, I read that note and made sure the side micro-USB cord was unplugged. Didn't change the fact that the large USB connection seems dead.

Hi rickjnav, Forgive me for asking but to rule out the possibility that you may have a faulty/substandard USB cord, have you tried a different USB cable in the large port with your phone or tablet? Again my apologies if I'm stating the obvious and you've already done that but it's worth the ask. :)
If you have then in my opinion it would appear that you may indeed have a faulty USB port. Warranty?

You must remove the side connector from the RC when using the bottom one. You can plug in (side port) a spare battery to charge the RC while using the bottom for the phone.

My USB cable goes on both ways on the bottom (large) port.

How do I know which way is right.

Not possible unless something is misaligned. The socket and the cable have what I'd call TONGUES. Larger flat pieces. The cable one would go in the position opposite the socket. So if that piece is along the upper surface on the controller (not convenient at the moment), then the similar piece goes in the other way - so they mate.

If its android you can pull down where it says attached charging device and it will give you options to disable charging

Reactions: Phill
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu