DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Angry people pointing fingers at my drone and taking photos of it

Status
Not open for further replies.
The boat is a tourist launch with seating and a glass bottom for viewing marine life, so my guess is that any tourists on board would simply be interested to see a drone out flying and probably boat chasing and filming. Most people would just wave. If it was a private vessel with potentially naked frolicking and partying going on, on board, I would use discretion and fly away ……. unless you knew them and had gained permission before they left the dock. In that case, they might have liked to get a copy of some pics and video emailed to them. It is all about mutual respect and courtesy. 👍😎🇳🇿🍺🍺

Angry? Hmmm...it's none of my business what others are thinking. Would not have bothered me in the least.

It irks me how you can walk around with a camera and take as many photos as you want of whatever you want and nobody bats an eyelid.
You put a camera overhead in the air usually at a much greater distance and people kick off.

Muppets tbh, do they think the camera has an X-ray lens or something?

A neighbour a few doors down from me was moaning about my drone being outside her property. 'Didnt feel comfortable with it being there' she said.

For one it wasn't outside her property, it was in a field a good distance away. The camera was pointing in the opposite direction and it hovered there for like 10 secs while I executed my waypoints.

However she doesn't seem to mind a double decker bus full of people staring into her window when the bus stops directly outside her property!

Reactions: Yaros
Maybe they were friends of Edward Snowden and afraid that they were about to be taken out? Did you ever think about that?

I had to call 911 this week because of crazy neighbor’s. People are jealous (Mod Removed Language) Land that can be their nature.

I have the FAA authorization to the air space. That is all that matters to me. Fly within the law and always safety first.

I hate this culture of drugged out paranoid idiots. That is exactly what I am dealing with.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad
Reactions: DSRT_VLTR and Yaros
Off to Majorca soon, any regulations I need to be aware of ?
Check no-fly zones on ENAIRE Drones
You need the EU certification in order to fly here.
You can fly over people, but not over groups of people
Maximum allowed height is 394ft (120 meters)

Today I was filming the beautiful beach of Cala Millor, Mallorca when I saw a public tourist boat was boarding. I Decided I could Active Track it from a distance.
There are no laws (that I'm aware of) in Europe against tracking a boat, so I select it in the app, and click Start (Point-Of-Interest). Everything was fine, the flight went well, or so I thought!
After coming back home, and reviewing the footage, I noticed that 5 people that were on board of that boat were angry about my drone and started pointing at it, waving, and taking photos of it, and the most ridiculous thing, calling other tourists to check out my drone; come on, WHY would anyone do that? It seems crazy to me!

I don't want to post the video here, but here are some screenshots of it:

This guy is trying to take a photo of the drone:
View attachment 146874

And another guy is pointing at it with his finger and waving like he wants it to go away:
View attachment 146875

I just don't understand how they could hear the drone, let alone see it! It was 50 meters (160 feet) high at that moment, about 80 meters away! The waves, water is loud, how?
I think even I wouldn't be able to see the drone from that high even if I was searching for it. All the screenshots above were zoomed in many times (I don't know how many times exactly)

Just for reference, here is a photo without any zoom from (relatively) the same frame as before:

View attachment 146876

As you can see it is pretty far away!
If that were me on the boat and I saw drone fFOLLOWING MEOUT TO SEA, I'd be angry and maybe consider if it was a government drone and get pretty angry about the government following me. heck, if you were following me just walking around, I'd get angry then, as well. I think what you done was rude.

• Haha
Reactions: SkittleBob
I do not understand why people get so bent out of shape over a drone flying overhead. Yet thousands of people every where are are walking around taking videos with their cell phone and nobody sees that as an invasion of privacy. An iphone 13 has such a powerful zoom that could take a video/pic of someone well anywhere in any environment and they would no be bothered.

Reactions: ashyt16
If that were me on the boat and I saw drone fFOLLOWING MEOUT TO SEA, I'd be angry and maybe consider if it was a government drone and get pretty angry about the government following me.
We have a neighbours WhatsApp and the latest piece of paranoia is a police drone flying over the road. I have no idea if it is police (it wasn't me!), I doubt drones can be set up to record speeding but they could spot people not stopping at a dangerous stop sign but it is in a forbidden area - helipads and a small airport. When they spot a drone people tend to think they are being spied on for nefarious purposes.

I'd be angry and maybe consider if it was a government drone and get pretty angry about the government following me.
A government drone following you?
I've never heard anyone suggest that the government follows people with drones.
Your imagination is overactive.

I do not understand why people get so bent out of shape over a drone flying overhead. Yet thousands of people every where are are walking around taking videos with their cell phone and nobody sees that as an invasion of privacy. An iphone 13 has such a powerful zoom that could take a video/pic of someone well anywhere in any environment and they would no be bothered.

Well, I have to say that I'd be annoyed if someone I didn't followed me around with a cell phone and shot photos or videos of me. Would you not?

That's certainly not to say that every drone that flies nearby is photographing or videoing someone. But many people assume that to be the case.

With one exception, I've only dealt with curiosity. Yesterday at the beach I had a whole family gawking and waving. The kids all whipped out their phones to take pics so my drone is probably viral on TikTok now. :p

Not long after that I had a guy beg me to take his pic so he could show his friends. I even got the drone shadow in the pic for evidence. He took down the info about the drone and was excited about getting one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2