DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Another Tablet Holder (Home Made)

Heavens,

Yeah, my Galaxy Tab S2 fits the existing holder just fine but my Nvidia Shield doesn't and none of my tablets will with a case on. I've also become accustomed to my devices being in front of the controller and I'll continue to fly my other birds so it just "feels" right. It actually feels really good in my hands, I don't think it'll cause any strain. It feels more "normal" to me thus way.

Don't get me wrong, I bought the Mavic for the convenient setup and it's portability so I won't be using the tablets when I'm traveling "light" (especially with my motorcycles) but when I'm around home or in the same place for extended periods of time with my car or truck the tablets are a lot easier on my old eyes!

Jerry

I ended up ordering a tablet holder from DirtyJDesigns. Pretty cool setup. DJI Mavic 7-8" Tablet adapter.

They've also got a You Tube video on the holder.

Reactions: JtrJr
James,

Yeah, I saw that one, looks pretty cool! I just didn't want to wait a few weeks. I'm a tinkerer anyway. Plus, I can use this setup with my P2, P3Pro's and my Mavic.

Jerry

Joel,

It's not really a particular part. I just took a ball and a stud (like in the second pic) I ran the stud into the ball and cut it down so it would fit all the way up into the slot on the back of the DJI holder. I then marked where the pin would go through the stud and ground out enough of the stud for the pin to push through. Be careful when you grind that out, the pin needs to be pretty tight otherwise the holder will move from side to side when the tablet is in there. You don't want any slop between the stud and pin at all.

Jerry

This is going to interfere with the antenna signal I'm pretty sure?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Light,

It hasn't so far but I haven't done much actual flying yet as the weather here hasn't been very good. If you look at my last picture, the pad sits below the antena's so I don't believe there will be any issue.

Jerry

Here is the problem sure tablets are great to use assuming you can even see the image on the screen, after spending two weeks in the sunny tropics with my mavic I used both my phone and Tablet. There is a major flaw with the controller that really diminishes the effectiveness especially when using a tablet.

GLARE, GLARE, GLARE, unless you can get a effective sun-shield or at the very least position the screen at 90 degrees (like you can on the Phantoms), the viewing SUCKS. I found my self holding the controller and phone or tablet in bushes, or put a towel over my head and controller at one point in order to see the screen, unfortunately you have to sarcafice line of sight of the actual drone for those options. So until you figure out the sunshield problem Tablets are not a viable reasonable solution.

There are now sunshield solutions for the phones so for now sunny day flights my Iphone 7 will trump any tablet.

I have ordered this Phone holder and sunshield (a very smart design by AerialDroneAccessories.com

Mavic-Sunshade-Assembled-with-Remote_large.jpg

Joel,

It's not really a particular part. I just took a ball and a stud (like in the second pic) I ran the stud into the ball and cut it down so it would fit all the way up into the slot on the back of the DJI holder. I then marked where the pin would go through the stud and ground out enough of the stud for the pin to push through. Be careful when you grind that out, the pin needs to be pretty tight otherwise the holder will move from side to side when the tablet is in there. You don't want any slop between the stud and pin at all.

Jerry

Jerry,

Is there way to get a couple of pictures of the rear of the tablet holder? I really like what you have set-up and would like to try something like this too. I am just confused on how it attaches to the tablet holder.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Stoph,

I took it apart and took some pictures. I cut the head off a bolt that I could grind down the sides a bit to fit in the channel of the holder. I tapped the hole on the Ram ball to match the threads of the bolt. I cut the bolt to a length that would allow me to push it all the way up into the holder. I then just ground out a small notch in the bolt where the pin would go through the holder. You want the notch to be tight on the pin, any tiny movement will be magnified by the holder and the tablet. The rubber boot was just to make it look a little better. Hope this helps!

Jerry

Attachments

• THBall01.JPG
    THBall01.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 59
  • THBall02.JPG
    THBall02.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 61
  • THBall05.JPG
    THBall05.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 63
  • THBall06.JPG
    THBall06.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 66
  • THBall07.JPG
    THBall07.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 71
  • THBall08.JPG
    THBall08.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 76
Bernard,

Yeah, I started with something similar but it kind of blocks the controller screen and I'm used to having the tablet if front of the RC with all of my other drones. I just wanted something to put it out front.

Jerry

With this system you can look at both screens RC and tablet at the same time.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using MavicPilots mobile app

Some of you may have seen (some time ago) the set-up I made so I can swap pads (iOS and Android) between my P2 and P3Pro controllers. In light of not seeing anything that I thought would work yet (I'm sure there will be plenty, in good time) I decided to see about making my own that could work with my P2, P3Pro and Mavic. When I'm traveling light and on my motorcycles, I'll probably just use a phone (Moto X Pure or iPhone 6) but when I'm at home or traveling around in my car or truck I may want to use one of my pads (Galaxy S2, Nvidia Shield or iPad mini 2). Well here's what I came up with for now.

First, I bought one of that works but covers the RC. Then I used it to make my own. I can use all of my pads and it keeps the antenna's clear. Here's some pics.

Jerry

View attachment 1942 View attachment 1943 View attachment 1945 View attachment 1946 View attachment 1947 View attachment 1948 View attachment 1949 View attachment 1950 View attachment 1951 View attachment 1952

Finally you got it :)
This is what I Had In mind the whole time.
Great!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54