DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Any High Wind Casualties?

MavicGuy

Reactions
So we have all seen the high wind warning many times. But in all these cases has anyone "lost" their drone to the wind? I have a lot footage taken with high wind warnings and it's all stable as can be. That footage has been taken in up to 40mph gusts.

What happens? Does it flip it over? Anybody have an actual account?

Not a casualty per say, I thought about having to land and drive to pick it up but luckily. I decident to decend a bit and the winds weren't as strong so I was able to come home at 8mph instead of the 1-2mph about 20-30 feet above my previous position. It definitely isn't as strong in the wind as my Phantom 3, my Phantom 3 would of cut through that wind like it was nothing.

Not a casualty per say, I thought about having to land and drive to pick it up but luckily. I decident to decend a bit and the winds weren't as strong so I was able to come home at 8mph instead of the 1-2mph about 20-30 feet above my previous position. It definitely isn't as strong in the wind as my Phantom 3, my Phantom 3 would of cut through that wind like it was nothing.

Were you in sport mode? I know it makes a huge difference in high wind flight...

63b97d4dcebf47f2de6928ad4e045299.jpg
52b5932a5c5029541e70386665453e3c.jpg

This is a 1 second exposure in 25 gusting 30mph winds. As long as it's in sport mode, no problem. When I flipped it off of sport mode it started drifting away.

That is impressive. I'm just giddy over the tech in this thing. I flew the P3S today in about 10mph winds and it was bobbing all over the place. Brought out the Mavic and it was rock solid. Love it.

Reactions: dewster
When I did the firmware update I think it reset my settings, i tried to flip it into sport mode but the button did nothing, after I got home i thought something was wrong with my Mavic but its just that the button to enable it wasnt activated for some reason.

Reactions: alexanderguelph
Today in Belize the wind was at 15mph and got scared as **** cause my Mavic started to rise 10 feet up by it self right after take off, don't have to say I landed it right away. Pretty weird cause the day before I flew it with 18mph without no issues.

Reactions: JensnPS
I wish my friend had sent me a bit longer clip but this is My Mavic filming his Inspire 2 while he was filming my Mavic at 167' altitude . There was little to no wind at ground level but goes to show you how the wind changes at different altitudes . The little Mavic was bouncing around all over the place and I had a high wind warning but you can't tell by the video . Solid as a rock . We both flew out just over a mile and had no problems .

63b97d4dcebf47f2de6928ad4e045299.jpg
52b5932a5c5029541e70386665453e3c.jpg

This is a 1 second exposure in 25 gusting 30mph winds. As long as it's in sport mode, no problem. When I flipped it off of sport mode it started drifting away.

You should be flying in sport mode in any significant wind unless you disable obstacle avoidance. With OE disables the speed in increased to 31 mph. In general I leave OE enabled and use the side switch to toggle between sport mode and P mode. Use sport mode to get to where you want to go and use P mode once you are around nearly objects you need to navigate.

I live in the windy Midwest and get high wind warnings all the time. I haven't had any problems flying in winds up to 25 mph. Videos stay nice and stable. I did notice returning into the wind took a lot longer. If flying a long mission you need to keep a little extra battery to make sure you get back home.

If you don't want to go full sports mode you can turn off OA. That also gets you some more oomph to bring it back.

I've been bit and didn't make it home. Almost had a heart attack, landed in a strangers front yard 2 blocks away. Will try hard not to do that again.

Reactions: Richard X

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manifest