DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini Anybody know what this is?

northupthere

Reactions
I caught this small thing in my Ring. I know nothing about drones and I’m hoping someone can tell me what this is. It made no sound which I thought is odd because drones usually make noise. Please forward to the 1:28 point onward for the footage. Thank you!
Video

I caught this small thing in my Ring. I know nothing about drones and I’m hoping someone can tell me what this is. It made no sound which I thought is odd because drones usually make noise. Please forward to the 1:28 point onward for the footage. Thank you!
Video

Sure looks like it may have been a small drone. Odd about the noise though.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Nothing to see here.

It's just swamp gas.

:cool:👽:cool:

Thanks for the reply. Yes it is strange and also there are mainly older folks in the area it’s wooded so I don’t know how they would have been able to fly without a camera which I don’t see attached to the thing

And then later that evening towards morning around 4am it caught this shadow- look at the very beginning Of this video in the lower right of the frame. Then you can see the shadow creep up the side of the house if you watch closely. Very strange. And almost looks like a mini searchlight

Video2

Weird . . . can you post a daylight video so we can get a sense of the surroundings and approach to the home? If daylight video gives away your location then don't post it. . . .

My Internet knowledge only goes so far as posting Ring videos I’m not sure how to make a video and post it. But there’s nothing around except small ranches on half acre to 2 acre lots. There’s nowhere where people would congregate to use a drone or anything. As far as the image there’s nothing to reflect the light it’s just a dark piece of property at night.

I've seen something like that before. It is most likely a Moth or large flying insect. they do weird things to a night vision camera.

My Internet knowledge only goes so far as posting Ring videos I’m not sure how to make a video and post it. But there’s nothing around except small ranches on half acre to 2 acre lots. There’s nowhere where people would congregate to use a drone or anything. As far as the image there’s nothing to reflect the light it’s just a dark piece of property at night.
How about a daytime Ring video?

Here is the daytime video. It’s all trees and woods which in my limited drone knowledge would make flying one without a camera hard. There aren’t kids or tech types around here. It’s old people.
Video3

Here is the daytime video. It’s all trees and woods which in my limited drone knowledge would make flying one without a camera hard. There aren’t kids or tech types around here. It’s old people.
Video3
Great. That makes it much easier to understand what we're looking at.

I've watched the original video several times and that object certainly looks and behaves like a small drone. It even appears to rotate as it ascends at 1:39 and again at 1:42.

The sound issue is puzzling. I'm not familiar with Ring audio systems, but I'd think that if it picked up the car in the daytime video that it would pick up a drone, too.

Note to Area 51 response team: You can reduce the playback speed to 0.25 and view full screen to make it easier to see the motion.

It picks up the car as I pull in the driveway. The ring uses a noise canceling microphone. When I open the live stream I hear birds and I heard my son washing his car the other day. I would think it would trigger on a drones rotors. It’s weird.

And then later that evening towards morning around 4am it caught this shadow- look at the very beginning Of this video in the lower right of the frame. Then you can see the shadow creep up the side of the house if you watch closely. Very strange. And almost looks like a mini searchlight

Video2
That looks like light reflection off a wisp of fog, nothing substantial.

It’s funny because I’m more concerned about the drone thing and my wife is more concerned about the mist thing. This camera is less than two weeks installed and it has picked up tons of animals but these two are definitely strange. I look forward to reviewing footage in the morning!

It’s funny because I’m more concerned about the drone thing and my wife is more concerned about the mist thing. This camera is less than two weeks installed and it has picked up tons of animals but these two are definitely strange. I look forward to reviewing footage in the morning!
I wouldn't be concerned about either. But let us know if you see anything drone-like again.

I've noticed some seemingly odd things appear on my trail cameras and simple security cameras, but they've all had simple explanations. Even the tiniest insects raindrops, or leaves shine brightly when they're near the camera light source. It's often difficult to tell the difference between small objects very close and larger ones further away, too. I was mystified by an odd-shaped, fairly large object or critter than slowly moved across the screen in random and varying speeds and directions. I found that it was a tiny piece of down from a bird that had caught in a suspended stand of spiderweb being moved by faint air currents.

Seems like whatever it is, is not actually in view of the camera but reflecting the lights off the lens surfaces, so it's probably higher up or off to the side of the actual camera view. And seems like could be headlights, but I didn't listen to the audio portion.
Do you mean the video in post #6? Not the one in the original post?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive