DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone else in a fight with DJI support?

I've been battling with support since 2/10 to also accept warranty repair for a flyaway during initial indoor flight. In my situation the Mavic was hovering well and stopped at a wall based on OA It continued to hover and then out of the blue few backwards directly at me at a high rate of speed and then veered left and crashed into another wall and destroyed the gimbal. I've sent the Mavic in for repair and have DJI refresh, but believe the issue is a design error and feel DJI should repair/replace for free (my contention is supported by other posts were automatic changes of modes cause the Mavic to be unresponsive) They say it switched from OPTI to GPS as there was GPS Bleed over, but the GPS wasn't strong enough and then it switched to ATTI. All I know is they advertise indoor flight with VPS and it didn t work. At this point I am refusing to pay or use my DJI refresh and have filed a credit card dispute since DJI CS is horrendous and refuse to have any conversation about this other than it's my fault and that indoors flight isn't recommended, after flying my Phantom 3 for years and being very happy and confident with it I quickly realized by this crash and all of the posts on this and other sites that the Mavic was released too early. I wish I could find a competitor that treated customers with respect and remembered that we are they key to heir success.

Reactions: Impact9
Thank you for sharing the additional details. I'm going to use a few images to explain what your flight log is showing me.

Here is an image of the flight location:

FlightLocation.jpg

Note: This image is from April 2014, so the trees have probably grown a bit since then.

Here's an image showing key events in your flight:

Markers.jpg

Red = You let go of the throttle and the stick moved to the center position.
Blue = You tried to strafe to the right for a total of about 0.3 seconds the first time and about 0.5 seconds the second time.
Yellow = Your Mavic made impact.

Note: The distance between the first blue marker and yellow marker is about 21.4 feet. It took your Mavic about 1.4 seconds to fly between those two markers.

It didn't respond to dead stick and only gradually slowed
A dead stick doesn't mean a dead stop. When you let go of the throttle, your Mavic would have coasted until it came to a complete stop (or hit an obstacle in this case). Your current EXP/sensitivity settings would have determined how long it would have taken your Mavic to come to a complete stop. During this specific flight, you only gave your Mavic 2.3 seconds between the dead sticks and impact location. There is likely no combination of settings that could have made your Mavic stop that quickly at the rate of speed it was traveling.

I tried to strafe right, it didn't respond. I tried to drop and it continued to rise and move left into the tree limb.
Only 1.4 seconds passed between the time you started to strafe right and the time your Mavic made impact. It's not able to turn on a dime either, so there was no way it could have reacted that quickly.

Nobody has explained away the left movement, the rise or the ignored commands to move right or drop.
The left movement is interesting and I'm assuming your Mavic was heading that way since it was yawed in that direction before you dropped down to dead sticks. You did make a correction to the yaw prior to impact, but you applied no throttle which allowed the Mavic to continue on that path to the left.

MPH is way over exaggerated. We all know this drone doesn't do 67mph as I have observed in sport mode. So when we look at ground speed this is more likely kph than mph.
The math works out if you crunch the numbers from your flight log. I don't think there is any way it could have been exaggerated during this flight.

FWIW, I'm sharing this information to be helpful and so you can understand what DJI support is able to see. While you might not agree with my assessment, this is what your flight log is telling me occurred.

If I had accelerated at any point after heading correction I most likely would have immediately rammed the drone into the tree. Then I would have zero leverage to prove this mavic was doing things it wasn't suppose to do. I purposely used gentle inputs because hard inputs tend to make thing go from bad to worse in any situation and my inputs had no effect at all so I didn't continue to try in vain to get a response.

How much experience you may have with mavics? I'm asking because if you're only accustom to 1 maybe you have a completely different view. I have only flown this one mavic and it worked like a champ. I could do precise movements and yes nearly stop on a dime. I knew inertia drift from full speed to stop for this particular mavic because I'd fly on this baseball field running the bases with the mavic. During this flight it wasn't performing as it normally had the day before it had been acting sluggish for acceleration in GPS mode. Maybe logs from previous flights warrant a review. One thing I hadn't really thought of but had noticed is that video feed was dropping that day hours into having 1.03.0400 updated which may have also affected the aircraft characteristics.

Anyways -- I was able to recover the drone a bit green and smelling like fish. It's going in for refresh today. DJI is going to see detailed accounts of every single flight I perform from this point on. Next time it does this DJI will be the one to answer since I'll have the ammo to fight them fairly.

How much experience you may have with mavics?
I only own one Mavic. I also own a P3S, P34K, P3A, P3P, P4, P4P and an Inspire 1 V2. None of them can stop on a dime after dead sticks when traveling that quickly.

Maybe logs from previous flights warrant a review.
Now, this is an interesting thought. Do you have a flight log that shows your Mavic traveling at 20+ MPH followed by dead sticks and a complete dead stop in less than 2.3 seconds?

See the OP's last post above. He did find it.

See the OP's last post above. He did find it.
thanks... good to hear it was found. DJI covering water damage is a huge plus. I think DJI is pretty fair, as long as you can send them the drone they'll replace it

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078