DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone flying in Las Vegas??

Hey Vegas pilots... are any of you guys flying at Desert Breeze park? A couple of my FPV friends said a Mavic keeps flying up to them while they are racing/practicing and just hovering around and leaving.

If you're going to fly around them, why not go up and introduce yourself! They are a good group of guys and would welcome you right in, but I'd recommend to stop harassing them... lol

Hey Vegas pilots... are any of you guys flying at Desert Breeze park? A couple of my FPV friends said a Mavic keeps flying up to them while they are racing/practicing and just hovering around and leaving.

If you're going to fly around them, why not go up and introduce yourself! They are a good group of guys and would welcome you right in, but I'd recommend to stop harassing them... lol
Nope, kinda far from me.

Not guilty! So far the only public park I have flown in is Craig Ranch and that is only because its the closest park to me!

Reactions: FPVJunkie
Not guilty! So far the only public park I have flown in is Craig Ranch and that is only because its the closest park to me!

I live close to CR too, but have only flew there a couple times. I typically just fly around my neighborhood or in the desert near my house.

Any of you guys on FB? There's a couple active groups on there, Las Vegas Rotorheads, Las Vegas Drone & FPV Group. They are mainly FPV Racing/Freestyle guys, but a few of us have DJI products as well.

I was hoping to fly at Craig Ranch, but it's within the 5 mile radius of the North Las Vegas airport. BTW, AirMap is a great app to quickly check for good flying locations. It's much faster and easier to understand than the FAA B4UFly app.

There are a handful of other great parks to fly at in the northwest, though, like Aliante Park, Centennial Hills Park, Floyd Lamb Park (for a fee), Mountain Crest Park, and the Lone Mountain Parks. Always on the lookout for other good ones, too.

If anyone's wants to meet up for flying this weekend (or whenever), let me know.

Reactions: Builderbill
I was hoping to fly at Craig Ranch, but it's within the 5 mile radius of the North Las Vegas airport. BTW, AirMap is a great app to quickly check for good flying locations. It's much faster and easier to understand than the FAA B4UFly app.

There are a handful of other great parks to fly at in the northwest, though, like Aliante Park, Centennial Hills Park, Floyd Lamb Park (for a fee), Mountain Crest Park, and the Lone Mountain Parks. Always on the lookout for other good ones, too.

If anyone's wants to meet up for flying this weekend (or whenever), let me know.
It is within the 5 mile circle around NLV airport but a quick call to the airport and your good to go. Its going to be hot this weekend. Think Im gonna sit this weekend out.

I now have an issue with AirMap and don't trust it too much. When I first got my Phantom 4 I wanted to fly over Cowabunga Bay while it was closed for the season. Back then DJI Go was the app to use before DJI Go 4. I could not fly because they said I was in a no fly zone. The other day I was thinking about the DJI updates. So I wanted to check places that previously said they were a NFZ. I could not remember the address so I searched in Google Maps. Copied/pasted the address in AirMap.
First map is AirMap, second is Google. Cowabunga Bay is a 23-acre water park opened in early spring 2014, opening 3 years ago. It can be seen fully functioning on the Google map. The beginning construction is shown on Airmap's map from 4+ years ago. So AirMap maps can be very out of date.
But I can say this, it is not in a NFZ.

IMG_7651.PNG.png IMG_7652.PNG

Last edited:
I now have an issue with AirMap and don't trust it too much. When I first got my Phantom 4 I wanted to fly over Cowabunga Bay while it was closed for the season. Back then DJI Go was the app to use before DJI Go 4. I could not fly because they said I was in a no fly zone. The other day I was thinking about the DJI updates. So I wanted to check places that previously said they were a NFZ. I could not remember the address so I searched in Google Maps. Copied/pasted the address in AirMap.
First map is AirMap, second is Google. Cowabunga Bay is a 23-acre water park opened in early spring 2014, opening 3 years ago. It can be seen fully functioning on the Google map. The beginning construction is shown on Airmap's map from 4+ years ago. So AirMap maps can be very out of date.
But I can say this, it is not in a NFZ.

View attachment 15113 View attachment 15114

I can see how you might think that, but the satellite imagery has nothing to do with the accuracy of AirMap's airspace data. It's merely an overlay. Cowabunga bay is most definitely a NFZ without permission from McCarran Airport. It's directly on the flight path to the runway. AirMap correctly shows this in the Yellow Advisory warning in your screenshot. Just tap on the yellow bar on the top and it will show you that Cowabunga is in "Las Vegas Class B Area A Controlled Airspace". According to the FAA "recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace" unless you get specific air traffic permission. I believe the DJI app will warn you about this, too, and make you confirm that you have specific permission to fly here.

Reactions: payam
I can see how you might think that, but the satellite imagery has nothing to do with the accuracy of AirMap's airspace data. It's merely an overlay. Cowabunga bay is most definitely a NFZ without permission from McCarran Airport. It's directly on the flight path to the runway. AirMap correctly shows this in the Yellow Advisory warning in your screenshot. Just tap on the yellow bar on the top and it will show you that Cowabunga is in "Las Vegas Class B Area A Controlled Airspace". According to the FAA "recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace" unless you get specific air traffic permission. I believe the DJI app will warn you about this, too, and make you confirm that you have specific permission to fly here.
Thanks for pointing out that I can continue to trust it. Thanks for the comment "but the satellite imagery has nothing to do with the accuracy of AirMap's airspace data."

Hi Vegas pilots,

Do you guys fly your drones these hot days? Isn't it so hot to fly?

I just got my new Mavic and wanted to ask experienced Vegas pilots about this.

Thanks

I took mine out to Apex and flew it around last night. even after packing up and driving back home the one batt was still too hot to charge. I took it out for a spin around the neighborhood this morning while it was cloudy and not too hot and it seemed ok.

Reactions: payam
I took mine out to Apex and flew it around last night. even after packing up and driving back home the one batt was still too hot to charge. I took it out for a spin around the neighborhood this morning while it was cloudy and not too hot and it seemed ok.

I was up on Mount Charleston over the weekend for HAM Field Day 2017. It was beautiful weather to fly up there, but down here I fly between 6 am and 9 am. After that it is getting a little too hot for me to be out there.

Yeah that's about when I do a lot of my flying. After I get off work in the morning

In Vegas buying another property and flying after 7:30 pm and it seems fine. From Vegas originally and moved to Utah but wife wants to winter here now without 5-6' of snow. Lol

I have a project/challenge for you LV fliers. Find some historic petroglyphs (aka Western Message Petroglyphs) on a ledge on the south end of Sheep Mountain at Jean. Will be at LV at end of August to give talk to the Southern Nevada Rock Art Association on this kind of carvings and a panel is reported to be at Jean as well as Caliente, Moab, and Kanab.

Attachments

• Tonopah JH.jpg
    Tonopah JH.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
Reactions: jyb and 1man1drone_
I know it's been a while since anyone replied to this post. Just checking to see how everyone is doing and when and where you're flying.
I made a Las Vegas post the other day but haven't heard from anyone. I've been flying at least a couple days a week all around the city.

I know it's been a while since anyone replied to this post. Just checking to see how everyone is doing and when and where you're flying.
I made a Las Vegas post the other day but haven't heard from anyone. I've been flying at least a couple days a week all around the city.

I actually no longer have my drone but I really love flying and I hope to get another one sometime in the future. I would be happy to join if there is any gathering of pilots so I can enjoy watching. Have stunning flights :)

Im coming out there this week for 6 months and would like to know where some good places might be to fly.

Im looking for the time to head out to the south end of town to check out a hill with a relic of aviation past on top of it. There is a large concrete arrow and the pad that used to be the base of a beacon tower that used to be a marker for an old air mail route.

Reactions: Revoh713
Im looking for the time to head out to the south end of town to check out a hill with a relic of aviation past on top of it. There is a large concrete arrow and the pad that used to be the base of a beacon tower that used to be a marker for an old air mail route.

Sounds like an interesting place. When are you planning on going out there?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan