DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ascent Fly away MIP

A-Snake

Reactions
My second flight today, with battery remaining of over 33% I selected RTH. The drone began to climb to the RTH height and began to fly home. It then began to climb and climb. I tried to cancel the RTH and fly it back but it would not respond, instead it kept climbing to above 1230 ft. VERY SCARY. It finally started to respond to my descend imput. It finally landed very close to the start point with 9% of battery remaining.

I have sent an email to DJI. Here are the Flight Logs. What are your suggestions on what I should do next?
Phantom Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

It looks like you had your RTH altitude roughly set to 375M and your maximum altitude set to the same thing. After you hit RTH it went up to 375m and at the 20min 10.2 second mark you reached Max altitude and then it hovered above you getting ready to descend but it seems like you cancelled the RTH at that point so the Mavic just sat there until the batteries went down to the 20% point were it then initiated an auto landing and descended. At about 113ft up it started to course correct to close the 133 ft gap between it and the home point and then when it got with approx 1ft it landed.

I am not an expert but unless your RTH was not set to approx 375M I see nothing wrong.

Rob

Last edited:
It looks like you had your RTH altitude roughly set to 375M and your maximum altitude set to the same thing. After you hit RTH it went up to 375m and at the 20min 10.2 second mark you reached Max altitude and then it hovered above you getting ready to descend but it seems like you cancelled the RTH so the Mavic just sat there until the batteries went down to the point were it initiated an auto landing and then it descended.

I am not an expert but unless your RTH was not set to approx 375M I see nothing wrong.

Rob
Easy mistake to make. Even when choosing imperial instead of metric, the RTH altitude stays in meters. I believe everything else but this is in feet, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:
Easy mistake to make. Even when choosing imperial instead of metric, the RTH altitude stays in meters.
Nope, I just double checked. The RTH height is set at 40m, the max height is set at 120m and the max distance is set at 500m.
I had flown just prior to this "flyaway" and used RTH and there wasn't a problem. Any other ideas?

Nope, I just double checked. The RTH height is set at 40m, the max height is set at 120m and the max distance is set at 500m.
I had flown just prior to this "flyaway" and used RTH and there wasn't a problem. Any other ideas?
This is strange (and very concerning). You may want to post the .dat file downloaded from the Mavic using DJI assist. DJI support will probably want to also see the RC log. DJI Mindy recently posted on how to do this.

This is strange (and very concerning). You may want to post the .dat file downloaded from the Mavic using DJI assist. DJI support will probably want to also see the RC log. DJI Mindy recently posted on how to do this.
Sorry, I'm a 'newbie', I don't find a 'DJI Mindy' in the member search.
How do I download the .dat file using DJI Assistant 2? When I open DJI Assistant 2, there is a screen showing an image of "How to connect to Aspire2?" If connecting the Mavic to the PC, does the Mavic need to be turned on?

Are you sure your not running one app like GO4 with one set of settings and another like Litchi or DJI GO with another set of settings? If your not then your Mavic is ignoring the settings you put in and has just randomly chosen that your RTH and Max Altitude are both 375M. If that's the case it needs to be sent back to DJI for repair.

Are you sure your not running one app like GO4 with one set of settings and another like Litchi or DJI GO with another set of settings? If your not then your Mavic is ignoring the settings you put in and has just randomly chosen that your RTH and Max Altitude are both 375M. If that's the case it needs to be sent back to DJI for repair.
I only have DJI GO 4 loaded on my Galaxy S2 Tab. I don't use Litchi. I have not updated the FW to the latest version as I have heard of some issues. Plus when FW is updated, it changes all the setting in the Mavic back to the default. I need to record all my various setting so I have them available after the FW update.

I don't find a 'DJI Mindy' in the member search.

As far as I know, no DJI staff are members on this forum, or they keep a low profile. On the DJI official forums, they reply to a ton of questions, but mostly ask for clarifying information and give unsatisfying or inaccurate answers.

Sorry, I'm a 'newbie', I don't find a 'DJI Mindy' in the member search.
How do I download the .dat file using DJI Assistant 2? When I open DJI Assistant 2, there is a screen showing an image of "How to connect to Aspire2?" If connecting the Mavic to the PC, does the Mavic need to be turned on?
My appologies. I was switching between forums. DJI Mindy is on the DJI Mavic Forum. Her directions on retrieving RC logs is one of the first entries. DJI reps monitor that forum and can sometimes be helpful.

You should be able to find detailed instructions on how to download the .dat file from your mavic on this forum. Basically, you need to download DJI Assistant from the DJI website. Thereafter, you hook up one of the cables you received with the Mavic (same cable as RC charger)to the Mavic and your computer, and launch the DJI Assistant program. Yes, you need to turn the Mavic on. Once connected, there will be a connected graphic in the software. Next pick flight data. Then you can go into the drives on your computer and pick the one for the Mavic where you will see your .dat files. Once you have the file on your computer, you can use Dropbox to link it to this site or the DJI forum. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reactions: A-Snake
My appologies. I was switching between forums. DJI Mindy is on the DJI Mavic Forum. Her directions on retrieving RC logs is one of the first entries. DJI reps monitor that forum and can sometimes be helpful.

You should be able to find instructions on how to download the .dat file from your mavic on this forum. Basically, you need to download DJI Assistant from the DJI website. Thereafter, you hook up one of the cables you received with the Mavic to the Mavic and your computer, and launch the DJI Assistant program and pick flight Data. Once you have the file on your computer, you can use Dropbox to link it to this site or the DJI forum. Hope this helps.
Thank you, I found her post on the DJI forum ;) I realized that the DJI Assistant 2 opens once the Mavic or RC is connected. I will use Dropbox. I appreciate your help.

It's a good idea to also put the link for the file in this thread.
Some of the guys on here can analyze your data and give you answers so that you can have a more productive conversation with DJI.

It's a good idea to also put the link for the file in this thread.
Some of the guys on here can analyze your data and give you answers so that you can have a more productive conversation with DJI.
Thanks, I'll try uploading the the RC & Mavic tomorrow and leave a link here.

Someone posted an idea on the DJI forum that made me think. The flight was at a little after 5:00pm. The sky was clear and it was sunny. The Mavic had to travel to the West to return to home. Could it have detected the Sun as an obstacle and tried to climb over it? But then that doesn't make sense since the RTH height was set at 40m. I guess I'm just throwing out ideas.

Someone posted an idea on the DJI forum that made me think. The flight was at a little after 5:00pm. The sky was clear and it was sunny. The Mavic had to travel to the West to return to home. Could it have detected the Sun as an obstacle and tried to climb over it? But then that doesn't make sense since the RTH height was set at 40m. I guess I'm just throwing out ideas.

This is the likely answer, as seen in several other people's experiences. The "climb to avoid obstacle" overrides the RTH altitude. Turn off Forward Obstacle Avoidance if flying in clear open spaces without obstacles at your altitude, especially if the sun is low in the sky.

It is in fact. I posted this snap shot of his log in the other forum a while back. Was facing SSW, hit RTH and mavic turned west 32 degrees to WSW h243 to face home point. Heading then stayed locked there into the sun for ~5.5 minutes while it did the big dipper. Never budged in azimuth until a few seconds before touchdown.

rth.jpg
Green shading is RTH period and you can see the ~30 yaw change into the sun as it commences.Blue shading is Autoland mode when it decided it had to land regardless due low battery.

PS just looked up Sunset at this time of year in Missouri = 257 degree, so 243 being only 14 degrees off is likely close enough to cause this problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: boxsterfahrer
If the Mavic is sensing an obstacle during RTH it will ascend past the RTH height and then past the max height set by the pilot. It is then limited only by the absolute max height of 500 meters. This absolute max height gets set when the Mavic is configured immediately after batteryOn.

For some discussion of the sun being an obstacle take a look at
Litchi locked me out, crashed!

It's almost certain that your Mavic got fooled into thinking the sun was an obstacle. We'd know for sure by looking at the .DAT. Take a look at
Litchi locked me out, crashed!

Reactions: msinger
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs