DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Atlas Test

rickw

Reactions
Hey guys,finally got to test my new atlas system and boy is it great.Flying from my house I could go out about 2500 ft before I would start losing signal at 200 ft high.Due to tall trees,wifi interference etc.Same flight with Atlas I flew at 125 ft and over 5000 ft before signal would pop in and out,this is a great improvement.I also got the mobile suction cup mount they just got in this week that allows you to mount ant on windsheild or roof.I can't say enough about James at Titan,he is the greatest and answered all my questions about this system.Again,what a great product they have.

So, if you have an antenna on the roof of your house, I guess there's nothing to keep you from just sitting on your couch in your house and flying all over your neighborhood? Aside from opening your door to "put the mavic out" and to bring it in again after the flight, you could enjoy the whole experience on your big screen TV in your living room. That sounds quite appealing actually. Especially here in TX where it's usually too hot during the middle of the day in the summertime to fly for more than 1 battery.

Putting aside, of course, the issue of having no VLOS which is unsafe, illegal, and probably unethical, it still sounds like fun. Might be pretty cool if you lived in the country with no neighbors around.

Hey guys,finally got to test my new atlas system and boy is it great.Flying from my house I could go out about 2500 ft before I would start losing signal at 200 ft high.Due to tall trees,wifi interference etc.Same flight with Atlas I flew at 125 ft and over 5000 ft before signal would pop in and out,this is a great improvement.I also got the mobile suction cup mount they just got in this week that allows you to mount ant on windsheild or roof.I can't say enough about James at Titan,he is the greatest and answered all my questions about this system.Again,what a great product they have.

Hey Rick, I am tickled that you flew out twice as far with the Atlas:)
I know in your area interference is a bummer for sure. If you lived in KY,
you would have the same problems for sure.

So, if you have an antenna on the roof of your house, I guess there's nothing to keep you from just sitting on your couch in your house and flying all over your neighborhood? Aside from opening your door to "put the mavic out" and to bring it in again after the flight, you could enjoy the whole experience on your big screen TV in your living room. That sounds quite appealing actually. Especially here in TX where it's usually too hot during the middle of the day in the summertime to fly for more than 1 battery.

Putting aside, of course, the issue of having no VLOS which is unsafe, illegal, and probably unethical, it still sounds like fun. Might be pretty cool if you lived in the country with no neighbors around.

So you are telling the world that you never flown without having VLOS?

Reactions: rickw

I’m glad you live in Texas, so this is relevant! It’s not illegal to fly out of line of sight. It’s not unethical either, might want to look that word up.

The FAA has set guidelines, not laws.

So you are telling the world that you never flown without having VLOS?

Nope. I'm NOT saying that. (I should have known someone was going to nitpick my word selection.)
I agree it's not actually illegal and unethical is probably the wrong word.

I always fly outdoors and of course there are a LOT of times my drone is not within VLOS, maybe almost half the time.

That being said, I realize the VLOS guideline was put there by the FAA because it is much safer (for other people and others' property) if you can actually see where your drone is, and you are less likely to lose it or crash it into someone or something if you can physically see it. At least if I am outdoors, I can usually fly my drone back into a position where I can put my eye on it within a few minutes, and I always have a general idea of where it is in relation to me. I realize I'm still breaking the guideline, which is a little irresponsible and risky, but it is a calculated risk that I have decided to take that is okay for me and my conscious. Ultimately I am responsible if something goes wrong.

I live in a HIGHLY urbanized area with lots of people, buildings, EMF interference, air-traffic, etc. So in my circumstances, in my opinion, for me to sit in my living room and fly the mavic around the city without EVER being able to see it, is pretty much like saying "SCREW IT" : screw safety, screw FAA guidelines, screw responsibility, screw common-sense, screw others, and that's taking it a bit too far for me, and not something I'm willing to do. So maybe "illegal" or "unethical" is a poor choice of words; a better word might be "dumb", "inconsiderate", or "dangerous" in my particular situation.

However, it's a free country, everyone's situation is different, and we all have of our own moral compasses, risk tolerances, and intelligence levels. So you fly any way you want. Ultimately, you're responsible for the outcome.

I'm sure the Atlas system is super-cool, and if I lived in a more rural area, I might be interested in trying it. It's just not practical for me in Dallas, TX, and it doesn't seem like the kind of thing I'd carry around with me and the mavic very often.

How has it worked out so far?

It as really nice on a nearly 8 mile out flight! Chilling in my Infiniti, listening to Howard Stern, and sipping on a Dr Pepper.

Titan is awesome! I didn’t have to love the antenna either!

I put it on my sunroof, in case I had to adjust it. But it stayed solid all the way out.

I still haven’t found the limitations of the Titan, despite trying.

Nope. I'm NOT saying that. (I should have known someone was going to nitpick my word selection.)
I agree it's not actually illegal and unethical is probably the wrong word.

I always fly outdoors and of course there are a LOT of times my drone is not within VLOS, maybe almost half the time.

That being said, I realize the VLOS guideline was put there by the FAA because it is much safer (for other people and others' property) if you can actually see where your drone is, and you are less likely to lose it or crash it into someone or something if you can physically see it. At least if I am outdoors, I can usually fly my drone back into a position where I can put my eye on it within a few minutes, and I always have a general idea of where it is in relation to me. I realize I'm still breaking the guideline, which is a little irresponsible and risky, but it is a calculated risk that I have decided to take that is okay for me and my conscious. Ultimately I am responsible if something goes wrong.

I live in a HIGHLY urbanized area with lots of people, buildings, EMF interference, air-traffic, etc. So in my circumstances, in my opinion, for me to sit in my living room and fly the mavic around the city without EVER being able to see it, is pretty much like saying "SCREW IT" : screw safety, screw FAA guidelines, screw responsibility, screw common-sense, screw others, and that's taking it a bit too far for me, and not something I'm willing to do. So maybe "illegal" or "unethical" is a poor choice of words; a better word might be "dumb", "inconsiderate", or "dangerous" in my particular situation.

However, it's a free country, everyone's situation is different, and we all have of our own moral compasses, risk tolerances, and intelligence levels. So you fly any way you want. Ultimately, you're responsible for the outcome.

I'm sure the Atlas system is super-cool, and if I lived in a more rural area, I might be interested in trying it. It's just not practical for me in Dallas, TX, and it doesn't seem like the kind of thing I'd carry around with me and the mavic very often.

Hey Now! Your good bro. I was just pointing out the words were probably wrong. Unethical = Unsafe and Illegal = irresponsible.

I regularly fly 42,000’ away from me. But only over open wide desert!

It as really nice on a nearly 8 mile out flight! Chilling in my Infiniti, listening to Howard Stern, and sipping on a Dr Pepper.

Titan is awesome! I didn’t have to love the antenna either!

I put it on my sunroof, in case I had to adjust it. But it stayed solid all the way out.

I still haven’t found the limitations of the Titan, despite trying.
Love Stern

Reactions: BigAl KY

I did not read anything in rickw original post that he was sitting on a couch in a house and flying all over the neighborhood.

Reactions: rickw
I said to put on windsheild or roof and some ome brings up roof on a house and other comments,that is so stupid,read post if you like,but don't troll around beating up people for lack of something to do

When I said flying from my house I should have said flying from privacy of my back yard,people really love to turn things around

Reactions: BigAl KY
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scout Aerial