DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Battery charging M4P

123taff

Reactions
So, another question, this time about battery charging for my new M4P.

Using the three capacity battery hub, I charge up my batteries in advance of a planned trip, but often, for one reason or another, I can’t follow through on those plans, either because of weather, or some other reason.
I have always been aware of the limited life of the batteries on recharging cycles, and the fact that they discharge when not in use.

I understand that the batteries for the M4P have been reduced in weight to accommodate for the added technology to keep it under the 249G banner. I used to do the same for my M3P.
So my question really is that with the extra load on the battery and the accompanying reduction in size and presumably capacity, how much cumulative damage is going to be caused to these M4P batteries by this scenario?

So, another question, this time about battery charging for my new M4P.

Using the three capacity battery hub, I charge up my batteries in advance of a planned trip, but often, for one reason or another, I can’t follow through on those plans, either because of weather, or some other reason.
I have always been aware of the limited life of the batteries on recharging cycles, and the fact that they discharge when not in use.

I understand that the batteries for the M4P have been reduced in weight to accommodate for the added technology to keep it under the 249G banner. I used to do the same for my M3P.
So my question really is that with the extra load on the battery and the accompanying reduction in size and presumably capacity, how much cumulative damage is going to be caused to these M4P batteries by this scenario?
While the mini 4 standard batteries are lighter they have slightly higher capacity than the mini 3 standard batteries. You aren't doing any more damage than any other battery. There is no perfect charging strategy, and as you say, and we all know, you can charge and prepare to fly and the weather goes to **** and ur grounded. Can't always be helped. My rule of thumb is never store a battery with less than 50% charge, if it is, i fully charge before storing. And in all cases I simply let the auto discharge do it's job. The worst thing you can do (not only for batteries but for the aircraft as well) is to let it sit idle for extremely long periods. Get out and fly as often as you can and your equipment will serve you best.

I design and build custom power banks for myself and friends, been doing it for about 4 years (why is a story in itself). This has resulted in sourcing all manner of 18650s, candybar lipos of all sizes, small inverters, fast charge and PD modules, etc.

I've accumulated quite a bit of knowledge about li-ion batteries, what's available, capabilities, quality, cycle life, etc.

Based on the assumption DJI is using high-end, top of the line state of the art lithium battery technology, the angst and corresponding circumlocutions many here go through are a complete waste of time for most users.

If you don't fly a battery more often than a few times a week – and most don't fly even that much – simply fully charge your batteries after each flight and you'll be fine. Over the life of the battery you will not notice any loss of use compared to carefully putting the battery at 60% through charge or discharge when you're done for the day.

The BMS in DJI Intelligent Batteries is excellent. It takes care of everything, quite well, except for one that you are on the hook for: Charging a depleted battery. That's the one mistake you can make, store the battery away and forget about it, and trash it.

If you're a daily user, usually a professional, some battery awareness is a good idea, but mostly rotation to keep cycles relatively even across batteries.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weblloyd