DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Be Careful Putting metal objects (like small flood lights) on the TOP of your drone.

StevenBrodsky

Reactions
I Fly a Mav 3 Enterprise and use the usb port on top of it for a few things. I bought some aftermarket flood lights and attached them to the top of the drone. Everything was fine with just those lights, But I wanted MORE light. I attached a couple small metal floods to the aftermarket drone floods. AND GUESS WHAT HAPPENED?

I got all my satellites linked and got a home point and took off at night. When I hit 100 ft, THE DRONE WENT INTO ATTI MODE ! It started drifting, so I immediately increased altitude so it wouldn't hit anything. I got my satellites back, landed. and never attached anything else to the top of the drone again.

Reactions: Xitor
When I hit 100 ft, THE DRONE WENT INTO ATTI MODE ! It started drifting, so I immediately increased altitude so it wouldn't hit anything. I got my satellites back, landed. and never attached anything else to the top of the drone again.
Any idea what happened? It sounds like you might have covered the GPS module.

Metal objects can also interfere with the internal compass module
Magnetic metal objects are definitely known to cause compass issues. It's most often an issue when people take off near magnetic metal objects (like concrete sidewalks).

Reactions: Cafguy
I don't blame you for trying to make you own- Floodlights for enterprise Mavics are STEEP! very hard to find a good one that's also cheap! Maybe try lifting the landing legs and placing them under?

I have seen this happen and it is a bit scary (however, it is important to know how fly in ATTI mode - other objects in environment can cause this also) this is why we offer mounts that mount under drone or on the motor arms. I have used I large light on top mounting however, try to avoid or keep up and away from GPS by checking location before we do a design.

Reactions: BaldyBoyBilly
Lights with a plastic housing and reasonable size would probably be fine. Didn't the enterprise drones come with a spotlight, speaker, and strobe.

The MAvic E series do have light module. You need to keep away from the GPS module

Depends on the drone and the light……this setup works fine. Mostly plastic.

Attachments

• IMG_3040.jpeg
    IMG_3040.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3042.jpeg
    IMG_3042.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 5
The Enterprise Dual comes with a speaker, strobe and floodlights, I use the strobe mostly.
I imagine they fit your aircraft also, it may be prudent to stick to the genuine components regardless of cost after this scare.

Regards.

I Fly a Mav 3 Enterprise and use the usb port on top of it for a few things. I bought some aftermarket flood lights and attached them to the top of the drone. Everything was fine with just those lights, But I wanted MORE light. I attached a couple small metal floods to the aftermarket drone floods. AND GUESS WHAT HAPPENED?

I got all my satellites linked and got a home point and took off at night. When I hit 100 ft, THE DRONE WENT INTO ATTI MODE ! It started drifting, so I immediately increased altitude so it wouldn't hit anything. I got my satellites back, landed. and never attached anything else to the top of the drone again.
Sounds like coincidence. I have had many DJI drones randomly go into atti mode and then regain sats and be fine. Seems like if it was a case of the light blocking the GPS then it wouldn’t get sats in the first place.

I would repeat the test in the daylight.

Had a similar issue with a top mount Insta360. LIke you one flight and never did it again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne