DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beginner Question

Jgels

Reactions
Just got my Mavic P and I want to buy a I Pad Mini4, my question is do I need phone service to it or just WiFi?

You don’t need a data plan for the iPad to work.
If you set up a hotspot with your phone it can get the data that way.
If you choose to go with no data than your maps will not load on the iPad.

Just got my Mavic P and I want to buy a I Pad Mini4, my question is do I need phone service to it or just WiFi?

If you think you need GPS so buy the one with the GSM built in as the wifi version does not have it.

Last edited:
So if I get the one with GMS that will down load maps and I don't need data plan?

just wifi and gps if you want to use follow me,ect

Here’s how it works
I have an iPad with no data plan
When I go out and fly I check my flight data on my iPad. If I have no data to the iPad (WiFi or hotspot) it only shows flight tracks.
When I get home (where I have WiFi)
And reopen DJI go and the iPad now has data it shows map info... roads lakes and such. So it loads the data.
The gps info comes from the drone and the map data from the device that needs internet connect

Reactions: msinger
@Jgels, if you want to use the Follow Me flight mode or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off (useful in a case where you move away from the original home point), you'll need to use a mobile device that contains a GPS receiver. For Apple devices, that means you need to buy a cellular model. You don't have to activate the cellular service in order to use the GPS data. If you don't need to use those two features, then save some money and get a Wi-Fi only iPad. iPads are more expensive when you purchase a cellular model and do not activate the cellular service.

For the maps, you can download and cache them in DJI GO like this in a location where you can connect to Wi-Fi before you head out to fly. Once cached, the maps will be available when DJI GO is not able to access the Internet. If your mobile device has a cellular connection, then you could of course just download the maps in real-time as you're flying.

Reactions: ramjet66
@Jgels, if you want to use the Follow Me flight mode or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off (useful in a case where you move away from the original home point), you'll need to use a mobile device that contains a GPS receiver. For Apple devices, that means you need to buy a cellular model. You don't have to activate the cellular service in order to use the GPS data. If you don't need to use those two features, then save some money and get a Wi-Fi only iPad. iPads are more expensive when you purchase a cellular model and do not activate the cellular service.

For the maps, you can download and cache them in DJI GO like this in a location where you can connect to Wi-Fi before you head out to fly. Once cached, the maps will be available when DJI GO is not able to access the Internet. If your mobile device has a cellular connection, then you could of course just download the maps in real-time as you're flying.
Thanks for the info.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flonke