DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best iPad for Mavic

Mavic Dude

Reactions
My older guy eyes aren't doing as well on my iPhone as I would like.
I've decided to get an iPad to fly the mav with.
What's the best way to go?

iPad 2?
Any mount suggestions?

I've never owned an iPad so am green.

Thanks

Reactions: diveinstructor
The iPad 2 is too slow to run DJI GO. Go with either the iPad Mini 4 or the iPad Pro if you're looking for a larger device.

If you decide to go with the iPad Pro (or another device that large), you'll need some kind of tablet mount to attach it to the remote controller. Here are a few tablet mounts that might work for you:
It would also be a good idea to pick up a Lightning cable that's between about 10-12 inches long. Here are a few commonly used Lightning cables:

Last edited:
Although expensive, the iPad Pro 9.7" is by far the brightest tablet out there (that's a huge plus for me, especially as we get into summer with brighter daylight.) I decked mine out with 128GB of Flash and LTE (but I use this iPad for a lot of other things) and use a MavMount (awesome product). I still use my Samsung S5 when I want convenient portability, but the iPad really spoils you.

The iPad 2 is too slow to run DJI GO.

I don't understand I thought iPad mini 2 was OK!! (as I did read some of your comments where you said so yourself)

In which sense does the iPad mini 2 is too slow? Could you be more precise?

I'm buying an iPad mini for the sole purpose of using with the mavic (but I may have the lumecube app in background from time to time), so I look for the cheapest but reliable option!

The iPad 2 works fine FOR NOW.............However I recently traded my mini iPad2 for an Mini4 for extra processing power. With future DJ go and pilot programs getting more complicated, the iPad4 is the buy to future proof yourself.

Ok then I'm not sure I can settle for an iPad mini 4 due to price & just using it exclusively for the mavic...

What are the real advantages of the iPad 4 versus a Samsung tab s2 with Android 6?

I keep asking what are the options added on IOS compared to Android but hard to get an answer... [emoji29]

I don't understand I thought iPad mini 2 was OK!
Yes, the iPad 2 Mini will work. The iPad 2 will not work though.

FWIW, there are many iPad models. If you only mention "iPad", many people will assume you mean the original iPad and not the iPad Mini, iPad Air, or iPad Pro.

Reactions: WheelzWorld
My old eyes are finding even the Ipad Mini 4 (or any Mini for that matter) still too small. I've gone back to using an Ipad Air 2. It has the processing power to handle everything running without any lag or freezing. I use the Mavmount as it offers a nice balanced cradle.

I didn't go with the Pro even though its the same size as the Air 2 as a "cellular" pro is much more expensive than the cellular air I bought...

Reactions: Mavic Dude
I upgraded from an iPhone 6 to an iPhone 7+ when I got the Mavic. I wanted a slightly bigger screen and my batteries were shot on the 6. I've been happy with that. However...

....when I called ATT to order my 7+, they said, we have a promotion going for 99 cent tablets, how many would you like? "Excuse me?" I asked a lot of questions, even called back after order...there is no catch if you use them as wifi tablets, they are only 99cents. You commit to the same 2 year contract you would have anyway but don't owe any more money for the tablets even if you bail. If you turn on cell service they hit you with a $45 charge, which I'll never do. Wifi is fine, AND, I link it to my phone for wifi when away from home.

So here is the kicker, they are really nice tablets. I was expecting something cheaply built like the kindle Fires we got for the kids. This says "ZTE Corporation, Model K88" (Trek 2 8" Tablet HD) on the back, along with an ATT logo. It has a rugged non-slip back, nice camera, screen, microSD slot for memory expansion, all the normal Android features. I decided to keep one for me to use as a large Mavic screen when I want it, and the other is for the kids. It's a nice enough tablet that I should have gotten more of them at that price.

So, that's my tip. I did look at getting a small iPad first. Even looked into the refurbished ones on the Apple site. I was surprised how expensive they were. I'll rock this "free" one as long as needed. In most cased I use the phone but wanted the option of a larger screen for summer flying when I have a big glare and/or need to preserve phone battery life.

(This is the tablet on Amazon. If you have ATT, I'd recommend calling to upgrade any of your phones on the plan, and see if this is still offered. I suspect it is.)

Thanks, sorry i read too fast...

But except the 3rd party apps, what are the options IOS have more than Android?

Is it just a version more recent than Android everytime so it always comes on Android later or are there some other advantageous option?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_