DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best / Worst moment ever had so far?

Pedro.FR2K

Reactions
I’ll just start this topic as I’m curious to hear some stories about your flight experience, I’ll also share my worst moment:

I was in position to record the bride and the groom leaving the church, everyone was outside ready to throw rice at them. What I didn’t see? 4 guys with 4 buckets of rice at the balcony ready to bomb everyone. 10 seconds later I see my little poor drone being bombed away with pounds of rice. My b***cheeks were clenched, but after that curtain of rice fell, the mavic was still there. Don’t ask me how but I got to know that the mavic is rice proof. Unfortunately I didn’t hit REC in time since they dropped the rice too soon. Now I learned the lesson, always look out for rice falling from the sky.

Best: I get to fly most days. It is a great stress releaver at the end of a busy work day.

Worst: The day a tree swatted my MP out of the sky. I was flying a new Litchi waypoint mission around a house under construction. It was a windy day but no more than the MP could handle comfortably. The flying lanes around trees were tight but manageable and I was walking close behind my MP with my thumb on the RC pause button in case it got too close. I stopped it just before side-slipping into some branches but before I could move it to safety a gust of wind blew the branch into my MP causing it to nose-dive into some concrete. The up side was that DJI had gotten its act together by then and had a Refresh replacement to me in a week.

Best: I get to fly most days. It is a great stress releaver at the end of a busy work day.

Worst: The day a tree swatted my MP out of the sky. I was flying a new Litchi waypoint mission around a house under construction. It was a windy day but no more than the MP could handle comfortably. The flying lanes around trees were tight but manageable and I was walking close behind my MP with my thumb on the RC pause button in case it got too close. I stopped it just before side-slipping into some branches but before I could move it to safety a gust of wind blew the branch into my MP causing it to nose-dive into some concrete. The up side was that DJI had gotten its act together by then and had a Refresh replacement to me in a week.

Ouch, that must’ve been an heart stopping moment

Very painful. Up to then I considered myself an experienced pilot with many hours of flight time. It just shows that even the experienced can screw up.

Reactions: charliesRig
Wasn’t with a DJI drone, but a custom built machine that I was using to learn waypoint planning etc. It did have my loyal and much loved GoPro on board as well as long range radio and video systems. I had it flying around a dam out near where I live where there would be no interference (radio or people). it was flying around a heap of waypoints and as it got to the last few it moved around a bend. I started to get intermittent video, but assumed is due to being BVLOS. Suddenly my monitor goes blank and the software on my laptop that was tracking the flight shows a disconnect. Still a few minutes of planned flight time around the bend before it should have came back. I waited for a loonngggg time, but never saw my baby again

Wasn’t with a DJI drone, but a custom built machine that I was using to learn waypoint planning etc. It did have my loyal and much loved GoPro on board as well as long range radio and video systems. I had it flying around a dam out near where I live where there would be no interference (radio or people). it was flying around a heap of waypoints and as it got to the last few it moved around a bend. I started to get intermittent video, but assumed is due to being BVLOS. Suddenly my monitor goes blank and the software on my laptop that was tracking the flight shows a disconnect. Still a few minutes of planned flight time around the bend before it should have came back. I waited for a loonngggg time, but never saw my baby again

What a pain in the heart, similiar thing happened to me, I was doing panoramas far away from my home point, DJI app crashed and couldn’t start again. I then look at the remote and notice the distance getting bigger and bigger, around 2.9km already,. Enabled RTH and waited for the best.
Minutes later landed right by my side with 12% battery left.

Worst: maiden flight. I took it out Christmas afternoon. Apparently I didn’t have a propeller locked, a foot off the ground at take off and the prop flew off and it crashed violently. Luckily I escaped with nothing more than a scratch.

Best. Taking it to work, and hooking two people on the hobby.

In Mykonos Greece on a cruise ship stop last July, I was flying over water filming some yachts and the beach area, about 400 or 500m away from my position, when my screen went purple/black and got an aircraft disconnected notice. I was by myself and did not have LOS, so I couldnt see the drone as my position was above the drone looking down towards the water. I could not find the drone against the water in the background. To make matters worse, my HP was not updating around this time, or at least I didnt remember hearing the voiced message, so I didnt know if the RTH would work. I stayed calm and pondered as to restart the app or not. I checked to see if maybe my remote was still working so I just flew straight up until I saw the drone against the sky. From there it was easy to bring it home.

I thought I was going to lose it, this never happened to me before nor has it happened since. At the time, I didnt realize that the RC has a RTH button too, but this point may have been mute because I was having issues with the HP getting set. Now I always check. Scared the crap out of me.

Reactions: Pedro.FR2K

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kasperskyy