DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beware of .900

What could possibly block the sensor. It was on a sidewalk.

A smear on the lens. Dirt. Orange Cheetos dust.

Or perhaps they were just no longer calibrated correctly due to a failed firmware update.

Who knows?! It's a MYSTERY!

It's also why I recalibrate vision, IMU and compass after a successful firmware update.

Reactions: Zorglub and Rick
A smear on the lens. Dirt. Orange Cheetos dust.

Or perhaps they were just no longer calibrated correctly due to a failed firmware update.

Who knows?! It's a MYSTERY!

It's also why I recalibrate vision, IMU and compass after a successful firmware update.
I would never touch the IMU unless it actually gives you an IMU error. The manual explicitly says that. Just saying. :)

Well, in this instance, I can say 100% positively, I loaded .900 exactly as directed. No error messages, no warnings, nothing unusual. Took it out (never had problems with prior updates so why should I worry about this one?) placed it in my normal take off point, hit launch and it went straight up to about 40'. I attempted to stop the vertical lift, but the controller had no affect. Once it got to 40', it hovered and I was again able to take control. I immediately landed the craft, and called DJI. The rep didn't seem surprised, simply told me to reload the prior update. I did that and the craft flew perfectly. So, to say it was 100% HUMAN ERROR shows that you did not listen to all of the data presented or you work for DJI and are attempting to lighten the bad publicity. Either way, without evaluating all of the presented data, please don't make judgement calls. Perhaps you would care to explain how it was human error???? That might prove interesting....

Dr. Jeff Popa

Hahahaha stop the hate mister! You are entitled to your own opinion and i am too. Chill dude lol im out!

I would never touch the IMU unless it actually gives you an IMU error. The manual explicitly says that. Just saying. :)

Firmware updates are so few and far between, I'd rather take my Mavic to a spot I know is perfectly level and free of any interference and calibrate it (checked prior to calibration with onboard and other sensors). Firmware changes potentially alter existing calibration data, or alter threshold/rates for sensor data.

Don't get me wrong: it resets my Trust-o-meter, and I test-fly it indoors and outdoors before I trust that calibration, but it's a far cry from calibrating at every new location before flying there.

I've had my Mavic five and a half months now - I've done less than five compass calibrations, maybe three IMU calibrations, and calibrated vision systems twice.

I recently received a brand new mavic after mine was broken due to wind. I flew it a few times to get back in the saddle. I did not have time to update the drone to .900. Last night I finally had an opportunity to dive in. It failed. I was worried about my mavic being bricked so I took it outside to fly it at about knee height just to verify it would still fly. The props started and I gave it a little throttle it took off straight up. It would not stop no mater what I did. I held the down trottle to force a landing. It then fell out of the sky and broke my gimbal and a front leg. Please think twice before you you update.

Can you give more details about the failed firmware update? Did you get an error message during the flashing process?

I don't think the firmware update failed because if it did, your drone would be bricked. I think what happened was the update process got to "99%" in DJI Assistant when in actuality, the update was finished on the drone itself.

If the drone's front red LEDs were flashing slowly, that means the update was still going. If the gimbal went through its calibration movement and you also heard the DJI startup sound, it means the update was fine and that the "failure" was just DJI Assistant getting hung up at 99%.

Wanna know something cool? The update percentage is controlled by the drone, not DJI Assistant. The drone tells DJ Assistant how far along it is. Sometimes DJI Assistant will get hung up on updating the progress bar and will just sit at 99% forever. The update process' secret sauce is this:

1). Firmware is downloaded from DJI's servers and saved to your hard drive
2). The firmware file is then uploaded to the drone through an FTP connection over a COM port
3). A flag is set on the drone and then the drone gets rebooted
4). The firmware process starts after the reboot
5). The drone reboots again when the update is finished

This whole time, DJI Assistant is just a spectator telling you how far along it is. All it does is upload the firmware file to the drone and sets a flag. The drone does everything else.

I was updating my Mavic yesterday and the same thing happened with DJI Assistant getting stuck at 99%. I looked at the LED lights on the Mavic (according to the manual) and then tested by turning on the RC. When the RC connected to the Mavic, I knew the update process was completed. DJI Assistant still read 99%. I turned the Mavic off, then back on again, closed DJI Assistant then reopened it. DJI Assistant connected to the Mavic and then showed that I had updated successfully.

I don't think your flyaway incident was due to the "failed update" simply because your drone was able to fly in the first place.

Perhaps your flyaway problem is related to the .900 fw. I've seen this reported in various places. I'm sure it's fine for the majority of people.

We've been looking at the firmware and testing it in a variety of conditions and have found that .900 does some strange things when certain conditions are met.

Last edited:
Been running .900 since it was available,not one problem.

Been running .900 since it was available,not one problem.

That's great news! Honestly, I'm glad it has worked out for you.

Like I said, the majority of folks have no issues with .900. Of the many flyaways that we have been keeping track of, a disproportionate number of them are from birds with .900 fw.

Reactions: Steve the Phantom
With all the horror stories ive been reading on updates. Ive drawn the conclusion that maybe immediately after an update, recalibrate the balls out of the mavic and controller?

Reactions: censtad
With all the horror stories ive been reading on updates. Ive drawn the conclusion that maybe immediately after an update, recalibrate the balls out of the mavic and controller?
That is exactly what I did after the update. The MP was showing it didn't need it,but I went ahead and did it anyway.

Bought the Mavic for my grandkids. It arrived January. Due to ill health and other circumstances it has never left the ground, now I am petrified that my settings and the software installed will not be compatible. I can't find anyone in the area who can help me.

Bought the Mavic for my grandkids. It arrived January. Due to ill health and other circumstances it has never left the ground, now I am petrified that my settings and the software installed will not be compatible. I can't find anyone in the area who can help me.
Read the manual,and watch a lot of you tube video's on the Mavic. There are answers out there for about any question you have, about the MP.

Reactions: ElPocho
That is exactly what I did after the update. The MP was showing it didn't need it,but I went ahead and did it anyway.

There was a thread or post i saw either here or somewhere else that spoke about some people receiving refurb MPs from DJI when they were supposed to be new. They were able to check something (i cant remember what it was-flight data?) and found that they may in fact have received an actual refurb.

The post mentioned something about the releases prior to Jan 2017 (not sure the date) were faulty and alot of people returned them. Ill try to find the thread and put a link here. Maybe someone can chime in and can give you some info on that

Wow....I'm new to this forum, and I've discovered that one must be careful what you post here....you guys are brutal!
Like most pilots, you're going to make a mistake....it's just a matter of time. The Mavic is very easy to set up and fly, and because of that, the details in settings and firmware can be overlooked if you get in a rush.
It may help you to develop a pre-flight and post-flight checklist to mitigate those mistakes.Tailor it to suit you, include as many steps as you need. Obviously some of you geniuses don't need a checklist......
BTW, this is called POSITIVE feedback.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying