DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Big problem after accident.

THE CYBORG

Reactions
Had an accident busted up the ligaments & muscle in my leg (not drone related).
Months after the operation to fix things back up I cant kneel down.
Was already disabled due to problems with my knees, that's what caused the accident.

My problem now is that I can’t pin down a landing pad or pick my Mavic off the ground.
I had the bright idea of utilising my camera tripod by fitting something to it to use as a landing pad.
I can’t for the life of me work out a way to make something that I can fold for transport but be ridged when attached to the tripod.
It will have to fit either in or on my backpack as I have to walk with a stick in both hands.
First thought was to cut a circle of thin ply into thirds or quarters, hinge them together so they fold.
So far so good but I can’t think of a way to hold it rigid when unfolded.

Reactions: Peio64270
If you use a frame under each quadrant (or half) where it comes together, the frames can back (block) up to each other and keep it flat ?
Hard to explain, can draw it for you maybe if needed. (Just sketched it.)
Folded in half might be a lot easier, if the pad can be made to a size you can carry folded.

What are you flying, the M2 ?
If so, a 2' dia folded in half would be |) 2" x 1", could that be strapped to your pack ok ?
Could it have a bracket to go onto the tripod ?
Is a tripod point enough to keep it stable if landing the drone onto it slightly off centre ? (Very likely to happen with some landings.)
Maybe a plate is needed to enable stability.

landing_pad.jpg

You might ba able to velcro the landing pad surfaces (hook), use skids on the drone, fit loop to these, CSC motors when it hits the pad ?

Reactions: THE CYBORG
How about something like this. I just googled folding pads!

Coreflute is good too, and light, maybe double layer with opposing flutes to make rigid.

Had an accident busted up the ligaments & muscle in my leg (not drone related).
Months after the operation to fix things back up I cant kneel down.
Was already disabled due to problems with my knees, that's what caused the accident.

My problem now is that I can’t pin down a landing pad or pick my Mavic off the ground.
I had the bright idea of utilising my camera tripod by fitting something to it to use as a landing pad.
I can’t for the life of me work out a way to make something that I can fold for transport but be ridged when attached to the tripod.
It will have to fit either in or on my backpack as I have to walk with a stick in both hands.
First thought was to cut a circle of thin ply into thirds or quarters, hinge them together so they fold.
So far so good but I can’t think of a way to hold it rigid when unfolded.
How about a square of firm rubber sheet that you can buy off a roll at (Plastic Bin) shops and get 3 or 4 wooden dowels from hardware, cut to length, that you can roll the sheet around to put in your backpack; use heavy duty (reusable) linen-threaded duck tape to hold the dowels in place on the underside of the sheet (landing pad), or stitch them on permanently in position, through the sheet. You can also use white electrical insulating tape to mark an “H” on the top surface. If breezy, sit something on the pad until you are ready to RTH. Choice of rubber and size of dowels should make it secure. For picking up the drone, perhaps glue a ring on top of the drone that you can put a (cup) hook through, off the end of another dowel or taped on to the bottom of one of your walking sticks. Good luck. It sounds like your flying helps to ease your pain! Cheers. Stay safe.

Not sure of the size but go have a table stool combi gives you a seat whilst flying and when you want to land put the table top on

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smittysflying