DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bird Attacks in the UK

JMDavies

Reactions
I have been flying DJI drones in the UK and Sweden for 3 years, mainly in remote areas where I have implicit permission (such as the Forest of Bowland), or high over farmland, having taken off from a public area. But this Spring was the first time I experienced attack from birds.

On the first occasion a pair of Shelduck circled my Mavic Mini, having flown high above a pond in the field behind our house. They swept past very fast and close, like a pair of fighter aircraft, harrying a russian bomber (!).

A week later, I was flying on the edge of the Forest of Bowland when my Mavic Mini was chased from some nearby farmland by a flock of Curlews, and they only desisted when I fly it back into a remote heathland valley. A third incident happened a few days later when my Mavic Air 2 was set upon by a group of Oyster Catchers.

I have been advised by game wardens in the Forest of Bowland to keep away from the hill tops during mating/nesting season - March to July - but the common factor here seems to be farmland and large but non-predators.

I have decided not to fly my drones until August, now.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience?

Attachments

• Oyster Catcher 3.jpg
    Oyster Catcher 3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 186
If you search bird attacks , there are quite a few of ours that come up. Birds will always be a threat but you best weapon is just visual line of sight and the ability to go vertical something the birds cannot adjust to as well.

One thing we have proven from flying through a couple hundred seagulls is that if they do not want to hit you they will accommodate you.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.

My mini 2 was attacked by a seagull a few weeks ago, the same psycho seagull that was attacking a Kite.

Previously, I've had groups of pigeons circling and getting awfully close.

I did contemplate some crazy googly eyes.

Reactions: JMDavies
I get all kinds of birds strafe my drone. Usually they don’t come too close, but occasionally they do come close.

I think the sound drones make must be threatening because it really seems to attract birds.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I had a bald eagle take a run at my P4P. I did the wrong thing and turned and ran, heading towards home while going down. I did snap a quick photo as he came into view. The P4P had a bit of a lazy gimbal, hence the angle. The eagle pursued me almost to ground level and almost caught it. As someone pointed out at the time, likely better to get into the Sport mode and go straight up. These large birds can dive much faster than they can gain altitude. I have also had a peregrine falcon make a few aggressive passes at my MA 2. I suspect that they are protecting nesting areas or defending their territory.Eagle.jpg

I have been flying DJI drones in the UK and Sweden for 3 years, mainly in remote areas where I have implicit permission (such as the Forest of Bowland), or high over farmland, having taken off from a public area. But this Spring was the first time I experienced attack from birds.

On the first occasion a pair of Shelduck circled my Mavic Mini, having flown high above a pond in the field behind our house. They swept past very fast and close, like a pair of fighter aircraft, harrying a russian bomber (!).

A week later, I was flying on the edge of the Forest of Bowland when my Mavic Mini was chased from some nearby farmland by a flock of Curlews, and they only desisted when I fly it back into a remote heathland valley. A third incident happened a few days later when my Mavic Air 2 was set upon by a group of Oyster Catchers.

I have been advised by game wardens in the Forest of Bowland to keep away from the hill tops during mating/nesting season - March to July - but the common factor here seems to be farmland and large but non-predators.

I have decided not to fly my drones until August, now.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience?
Here's a screen grab from a shoot I did yesterday.
I'm standing on a bridge and underneath the bridge are Starling nests (made from mud) and they don't like drones this time of year.
They never did actually strike it but they got so close I decided to not fly over the water.
That said, I've heard some birds of prey will aggresively attack drones.starlings.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Tolly and JMDavies
I had a bald eagle take a run at my P4P. I did the wrong thing and turned and ran, heading towards home while going down. I did snap a quick photo as he came into view. The P4P had a bit of a lazy gimbal, hence the angle. The eagle pursued me almost to ground level and almost caught it. As someone pointed out at the time, likely better to get into the Sport mode and go straight up. These large birds can dive much faster than they can gain altitude. I have also had a peregrine falcon make a few aggressive passes at my MA 2. I suspect that they are protecting nesting areas or defending their territory.View attachment 131068
But you got a priceless Avatar!

Last edited:
If you search bird attacks , there are quite a few of ours that come up. Birds will always be a threat but you best weapon is just visual line of sight and the ability to go vertical something the birds cannot adjust to as well.

One thing we have proven from flying through a couple hundred seagulls is that if they do not want to hit you they will accommodate you.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.
Yes, thanks - I did read a thread that had a link to an article on bird attacks and how to avoid them - very informative.

thanks for sharing!

My Mini2 was taken down by a crow! Don't think it hit it hard, but enough the knock the drone into the tree I was carefully flying up while filming for a client. Will have the prop guards on next time I do that type of flight.

Ha ha. Had a seagull hit my drone over the ocean off the coast of South Africa. Thought I was going down for sure but managed to regain control before it hit the water. Closest call to date!

Here's 2 coming at me !
Greater Black-Backs - they are a serious predator. They are responsible for wiping out the arctic tern chicks this year in Northumberland. There is a colony a friend of mine protects with selective shooting of the predators, but because of lockdown last year and the lack of office staff, the legal stuff has not been renewed and so he hasn't been able to operate... result is not a single chick has fledged. The black-backs have had every single one. I am sure if they got aggressive rather than just harrying, they will take your drone on and cause it grief. It might not do them any good either, but I don't think it would end well.

Reactions: Tolly
I've always heard that but yesterday I found out it doesn't work with nesting starlings...they chased me regardless of what I did.
Starlings can catch you pretty much no matter what you do.
We used to stand on the upper deck and hold out a chicken feather... they would come around and wait for us to drop it and then play tag with it for hours at a time. They are very agile and acrobatic and it doesn't matter which direction you fly.

3 years ago, I was flying my P3-4K above Mission Bay in San Diego and an aggressive gull started diving at it.
I flew a straight line descending back to the beach and after several passes, at about 4 feet altitude, the gull hit the drone and knocked it out of control - crashing on the sand. Fortunately no damage - at least to the drone, I don't know about the gull's legs after pouncing on the props.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman