DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brand new to this drone thing...

Varekai

Reactions
Hello Pilots! I just turned 53 may 10th and my GF got me a Mavic Pro... I was contemplating the Karma but after doing some reading and the fact that DJI was pretty much the pioneer for drones I chose the Mavic. Now, I start what looks like a good size learning curve, Yes, No? I hope you guys here are helpful, first question i have, can the mavic be flown without a "device" (IE: a phone) connected? I dont know why one would want to do that but just wondering... Thanks in advance. I am also a member on the Weber Kettle Club forum if anyone here likes grilling. I go by the same name.

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

can the mavic be flown without a "device" (IE: a phone) connected?
It's possible to do so after you activate your Mavic in DJI GO, but it's not a great idea. The DJI GO app provides a lot of useful information that is not available on the remote controller screen.

Welcome to DronePilots newest forum :)

Thank you gentleman, I appreciate the info.. Also I forgot to mention, It had sorta crossed my mind AFTER I had told my girlfriend I would like to have a drone, but last night confirmed it, I LIVE in a NFZ, lol... about a mile or so "as the drone flies" from a our muni airport... and so I was all set to check it out and NOPE, house is in the red zone! all good, just wanted to fly around my acre but I really want to take it on hikes and camping trips.

Hello Pilots! I just turned 53 may 10th and my GF got me a Mavic Pro...
Belated birthday wishes and congratulations on the new Mavic Pro

I was contemplating the Karma but after doing some reading and the fact that DJI was pretty much the pioneer for drones I chose the Mavic.
You made a wise choice.

first question i have, can the mavic be flown without a "device" (IE: a phone) connected?
Yes, the Mavic Pro can be flown without a mobile device. In saying that, I wouldn't recommend anyone doing that.

I just got mine a few days ago but I'm pretty sure you can send DJI a request to be able to fly in a NFZ and they txt a code to your phone but I think it is only for a few days. You could also turn GEO off and see if it'll let you take off then just to check if GEO makes a difference.

thanks @Thastinger , it's only slightly a bummer that I cant learn at home, I have an acre... But I totally understand the need for NFZ's. Some people just can't follow rules or don't have the common sense to decide when and where its safe.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Duhr