DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brand new to this drone thing...

Varekai

Reactions
Hello Pilots! I just turned 53 may 10th and my GF got me a Mavic Pro... I was contemplating the Karma but after doing some reading and the fact that DJI was pretty much the pioneer for drones I chose the Mavic. Now, I start what looks like a good size learning curve, Yes, No? I hope you guys here are helpful, first question i have, can the mavic be flown without a "device" (IE: a phone) connected? I dont know why one would want to do that but just wondering... Thanks in advance. I am also a member on the Weber Kettle Club forum if anyone here likes grilling. I go by the same name.

Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

can the mavic be flown without a "device" (IE: a phone) connected?
It's possible to do so after you activate your Mavic in DJI GO, but it's not a great idea. The DJI GO app provides a lot of useful information that is not available on the remote controller screen.

Welcome to DronePilots newest forum :)

Thank you gentleman, I appreciate the info.. Also I forgot to mention, It had sorta crossed my mind AFTER I had told my girlfriend I would like to have a drone, but last night confirmed it, I LIVE in a NFZ, lol... about a mile or so "as the drone flies" from a our muni airport... and so I was all set to check it out and NOPE, house is in the red zone! all good, just wanted to fly around my acre but I really want to take it on hikes and camping trips.

Hello Pilots! I just turned 53 may 10th and my GF got me a Mavic Pro...
Belated birthday wishes and congratulations on the new Mavic Pro

I was contemplating the Karma but after doing some reading and the fact that DJI was pretty much the pioneer for drones I chose the Mavic.
You made a wise choice.

first question i have, can the mavic be flown without a "device" (IE: a phone) connected?
Yes, the Mavic Pro can be flown without a mobile device. In saying that, I wouldn't recommend anyone doing that.

I just got mine a few days ago but I'm pretty sure you can send DJI a request to be able to fly in a NFZ and they txt a code to your phone but I think it is only for a few days. You could also turn GEO off and see if it'll let you take off then just to check if GEO makes a difference.

thanks @Thastinger , it's only slightly a bummer that I cant learn at home, I have an acre... But I totally understand the need for NFZ's. Some people just can't follow rules or don't have the common sense to decide when and where its safe.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volpe