DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

BREAKING Flights at Gatwick Airport halted amid reports of drone flying in area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to offend any of my fellow community members. I have been reading this with much interest, and also think that the person, or persons that are responsible for this chaos is a bunch of idiots that is not part of the hobby community. That said, i also laugh at how clueless the " powers to be " is. I am in a so called Third World Country, South Africa, and looking at how this First World Country, United Kingdom handled this, is absolutely embarrassing. The knee jerk reaction to all of this is beyond.
Being from the UK, I agree. We are the laughing stock of the entire world.

There is something I genuinely don`t understand here, does DJI`s Aeroscope only detect DJI equipment?

If so, we are still dealing with a radio frequency here, and there are all manner of detection/location devices available, including clustering algorithms which can easilly locate a transmitter (remote controller) within the range of all but millitary drones, so it makes me wonder what we might be dealing with at Gatwick as detecting the operators location is seemingly a major problem.

Can anyone please enlighten me...

There is something I genuinely don`t understand here, does DJI`s Aeroscope only detect DJI equipment?

If so, we are still dealing with a radio frequency here, and there are all manner of detection/location devices available, including clustering algorithms which can easilly locate a transmitter (remote controller) within the range of all but millitary drones, so it makes me wonder what we might be dealing with at Gatwick as detecting the operators location is seemingly a major problem.

Can anyone please enlighten me...

DJI Aeroscope Product Page

It says "the vast majority of popular drones" so...? Who knows. Also, bear in mind it's an airport, it's probably rammed with radio communications, don't know much about this kind of stuff but the police did say at one point that the "new system" they had got running was being tested so to make sure it didn't interfere with other equipment in the area.

Reactions: mnis
DJI Aeroscope Product Page

It says "the vast majority of popular drones" so...? Who knows. Also, bear in mind it's an airport, it's probably rammed with radio communications, don't know much about this kind of stuff but the police did say at one point that the "new system" they had got running was being tested so to make sure it didn't interfere with other equipment in the area.

I get that, but RF`s are all unique, apart maybe from harmonics or fundamental frequencies plus any frequecies/bands used by the airport, local businesses should be known, maybe these are some sort of hybrids which really makes it more of a concern..

xjet on youtube had a good rant yesterday saying the authorities should get together with the race quad community to put together a team that could be on call short notice to launch and track or take it out of the sky.
It would help take some of the bad press away
Good drone guys vs bad drone guys

Reactions: mnis and Clinton1
So after all its not so easy to track down a drone. Large drone. Even after they specifically looking for you. You can still evade.
Tells you a lot about skills of a pilot and lack of searching skills of whoever responded.

Last edited:
DJI has a very nice Drone tracking device!

I’m sure the governments of the world will develop similar devices

Either way you look at it, this is not good news for responsible pilots. As always, it takes a few rotten iresponsible morons to ruin it for everyone else.

i would like to appolagise to all those passengers and everybody who was caught up in the recent events at gatwick i am sure that no person on this or other forums would support such abhorrent use of UAVs if that is what they were i hope that we dont get some knee jerk reaction from goverment and that common sense will prevail and that the perpertrators of this sad event will be prosecuted with the full force of the law
Not trying to be a ****, but what have you got to apologise for?
If someone is involved in a hit and run, as a fellow motorist I don't feel the need to apologise for another person actions

Reactions: HeavensAbove
Flights suspended at Gatwick again
Flights at Gatwick suspended again due to new "suspected drone sighting", spokesman says

I’m beginning to think that rather than it be eco warriors, local opposition group, an idiot messing around, a foreign state testing our response or some religious fanatic...

It may be extortion, of the “pay us £1m in used notes in a bag, dropped over a viaduct at 17.00hrs” kind.

Looks like the ransom wasn’t paid.

Now we’ll see what the Thule roof box on an extension pole can do.

Reactions: Clinton1
Here’s what I’d have asked the army to park up, regardless if it was effective or not, it’s certainly scarier....
ed352cf69399583df3f2ac27b60bf43d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini