DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Broken Micro USB to Lightning cable

Bad Drone

Reactions
Took my Mavic out for a quick flight the other day after updating to the new firmware...and it was working perfectly until I lost my live feed. I was filming above a forest preserve about 250' up and about 700-800 feet away and suddenly the video feed cut out and would only show a grey screen. All the icons and controls within the DJI Go4 app were still available and responsive...just the live video feed was unavailable. The Mavic never lost connection or became unresponsive, just hovered in place so I just brought it right back to me. Once it was safely hovering right in front of me and low to the ground, I started checking all the settings in the app, restarting the app and eventually landing the Mavic and restarting my phone, the RC and the aircraft. I swapped to a fresh battery and tried again. This time when I powered everything up, the DJI Go app would remain "disconnected" and was not connecting at all. I started looking online for answers and eventually packed up and went back home. At the house, I connected the aircraft to my computer and launched DJI Assistant 2. I refreshed the firmware on both the aircraft and the RC, as well as deleting the app on my phone and reinstalling it. Still nothing. I happened to be holding the RC and looked down at the cable coming from the side that connects to my phone and noticed a small slice in the cord. I could see part of the copper wire inside. Probably got pinched by the folding arms at some point.
db8311b4d361e59b2a70ba46302e49f3.jpg

7037bb99a685795c907a3b08aac10fb6.jpg

So I unplugged that cable and put my stock iPhone cord in the USB on the bottom of the RC and bingo bango, we got ourselves a game! The app connected right away and I was able to bring up the video feed again. I checked everything and fixed my settings how I like and everything seems all good for now.

My question is, does anyone know of a reliable replacement cord other than one straight from DJI. They want $20+ shipping for that little 3 inch cord and I'll definitely give it to them for one but I also want to buy about 5 or 6 extras to keep at home and in my bag in case this happens again. I would prefer them to be as short as possible so, the closer to the DJI originals, the better. I don't want to spend $120 on Micro USB to Lightning cords that I may or may not end up needing. That money would be better spent on a 4th battery!

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

If you got the "fly more" kit there should be two spares in your kit.

Had too many issues with "disconnect" and iPhone 7 Plus with side connection. Always plug iPhone using bottom USB now and leave space between RC and phone when mounted. No issues since.

If you got the "fly more" kit there should be two spares in your kit.

They aren't spares.. the Mavic comes with three cables. One is USB Micro, one is USB C, and one is Lightning cable. Three different device connectors... This set comes with the standard Mavic kit, nothing additional in the Fly More Combo.

Reactions: BogSpores
Had too many issues with "disconnect" and iPhone 7 Plus with side connection. Always plug iPhone using bottom USB now and leave space between RC and phone when mounted. No issues since.

Yeah I'm thinking that's probably the best way to go now. I just want a shorter cord so there isn't a long cable hanging down while I fly. More to appease my OCD than anything.

Reactions: BogSpores
Took my Mavic out for a quick flight the other day after updating to the new firmware...and it was working perfectly until I lost my live feed. I was filming above a forest preserve about 250' up and about 700-800 feet away and suddenly the video feed cut out and would only show a grey screen. All the icons and controls within the DJI Go4 app were still available and responsive...just the live video feed was unavailable. The Mavic never lost connection or became unresponsive, just hovered in place so I just brought it right back to me. Once it was safely hovering right in front of me and low to the ground, I started checking all the settings in the app, restarting the app and eventually landing the Mavic and restarting my phone, the RC and the aircraft. I swapped to a fresh battery and tried again. This time when I powered everything up, the DJI Go app would remain "disconnected" and was not connecting at all. I started looking online for answers and eventually packed up and went back home. At the house, I connected the aircraft to my computer and launched DJI Assistant 2. I refreshed the firmware on both the aircraft and the RC, as well as deleting the app on my phone and reinstalling it. Still nothing. I happened to be holding the RC and looked down at the cable coming from the side that connects to my phone and noticed a small slice in the cord. I could see part of the copper wire inside. Probably got pinched by the folding arms at some point.
db8311b4d361e59b2a70ba46302e49f3.jpg

7037bb99a685795c907a3b08aac10fb6.jpg

So I unplugged that cable and put my stock iPhone cord in the USB on the bottom of the RC and bingo bango, we got ourselves a game! The app connected right away and I was able to bring up the video feed again. I checked everything and fixed my settings how I like and everything seems all good for now.

My question is, does anyone know of a reliable replacement cord other than one straight from DJI. They want $20+ shipping for that little 3 inch cord and I'll definitely give it to them for one but I also want to buy about 5 or 6 extras to keep at home and in my bag in case this happens again. I would prefer them to be as short as possible so, the closer to the DJI originals, the better. I don't want to spend $120 on Micro USB to Lightning cords that I may or may not end up needing. That money would be better spent on a 4th battery!

Any help is appreciated! Thanks
Use the bottom USB and put a gap between your phone and the controller. This way you can also plug a small battery pack into the side micro usb, and get almost unlimited rc time.

You are not alone!... my cable quit on me today as well... although my cable shows no visible signs of pinching, but I know it's got a broken wire inside due to a slight bulge... and the fact that it doesn't work no matter how many times I've tried to plug/unplug it... I'd hoped there was a way to "reset" the controller, just to ensure it WAS my cable though before ordering a new one. I hoped it was the controller simply failing to switch between the plugs, and with a "reset", I could solve the issue... Since I didn't locate the reset process in the manual or online, I just ordered a new cable along with a complete NEW controller, just to be sure... A backup controller will be handy anyway...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78