DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

But it's too cold outside to enjoy flying my Drone…

LoudThunder

Part 107 Licensed
Reactions
I have recently seen more and more postings on some of the other web sites that I frequent where members, who live south of the equator, who are now in the middle of their winter and they are complaining how difficult it is to fly their drones with freezing hands or having to yank their gloves off to use the touch screen…

Who are these people, have they never heard of "Touch Sensitive Gloves." These gloves come in all weights, shapes, and sizes. The really heavy weight ones come with "flip-up" finger tips.

And for those folk who have a favorite special pair of gloves, they sell "Touch Sensitive Tips" that fasten in various ways to the finger tips of existing gloves.

If you fly your drone in areas where the cold of winter interferes with your enjoyment, consider getting these gloves or these tips. I am not going to reference any, if you are interested, you can Google them yourself…

I do not understand why I would have to respond to a members complaining they cannot fly their drone because it's freezing outside and their hands are cold…

And if you are in the middle of your Summer, don't forget this posting and start looking for those gloves now… Otherwise, winter will be here before you know it and you'll be just like little Miss Cold Hands below… :rolleyes:

Be Smart, Fly Smart…

gloves.png

Last edited:
I personally don't like the touch sensitive gloves because I don't find them precise enough to use with DJI Go given how small the interface elements are. I prefer to be cold for a bit and have the precision my fingers offer to quickly change the settings I need.

Same when cycling where I always wear gloves when it comes to using my phone the touch sensitive gloves are ok for some basic stuff but most of the time they're just too irritating with wrong presses (since the surface is larger and more flexible than a finger) so I just take the gloves off for using the phone as it's less hassle.

Reactions: awagner109
I have recently seen more and more postings on some of the other web sites that I frequent where members, who live south of the equator, who are now in the middle of their winter and they are complaining how difficult it is to fly their drones with freezing hands or having to yank their gloves off to use the touch screen…

Who are these people, have they never heard of "Touch Sensitive Gloves." These gloves come in all weights, shapes, and sizes. The really heavy weight ones come with "flip-up" finger tips.

And for those folk who have a favorite special pair of gloves, they sell "Touch Sensitive Tips" that fasten in various ways to the finger tips of existing gloves.

If you fly your drone in areas where the cold of winter interferes with your enjoyment, consider getting these gloves or these tips. I am not going to reference any, if you are interested, you can Google them yourself…

I do not understand why I would have to respond to a members complaining they cannot fly their drone because it's freezing outside and their hands are cold…

And if you are in the middle of your Summer, don't forget this posting and start looking for those gloves now… Otherwise, winter will be here before you know it and you'll be just like little Miss Cold Hands below… :rolleyes:

Be Smart, Fly Smart…

View attachment 151724
I fly mine from the interior of my Van! Works just fine!

Obviously, you are no wimp!
There was a time when my toilet was a bucket inside the house that had no insulation in the walls so every night (-50F anyone?) it would get down to ambient temperature. I slept inside two sleeping bags as the home made wood stove could not hold heat for an entire night. Winter groceries were a two hour snowmobile ride across rivers and tundra in the dark, sometimes -40F, rolling at 60mph when possible (check THAT wind chill temp), pulling a freight sled that on one occasion led to me being lost on the tundra with cloud cover (no stars to navigate...no GPS or cell phones). Flying a drone at -20F? meh.

There was a time when my toilet was a bucket inside the house that had no insulation in the walls so every night (-50F anyone?) it would get down to ambient temperature. I slept inside two sleeping bags as the home made wood stove could not hold heat for an entire night. Winter groceries were a two hour snowmobile ride across rivers and tundra in the dark, sometimes -40F, rolling at 60mph when possible (check THAT wind chill temp), pulling a freight sled that on one occasion led to me being lost on the tundra with cloud cover (no stars to navigate...no GPS or cell phones). Flying a drone at -20F? meh.
When answering the call of nature wasn't your 1% at risk in such temperatures?
I saw this and didn't get that the square in the center was clear and thought it was a joke. Now THAT looks interesting to me!
There are similar things for hand held cameras but their intention is primarily rain protection.

Reactions: LoudThunder
my fav snowy vid (not mine):
Wasn't your 1% at risk in such temperatures when relieving yourself?

There are similar things for hand held cameras but their intention is primarily rain protection.
If you can do your business standing up, you're probably safe but I would not want to poop outside at -40F or colder. We use "pogies" on our bikes in the winter and at first I thought the pic was just a set of pogies or something like that propped up as a joke :).

On really cold days the plastic can fog up so I add one of these hand warmers inside. Works great.
View attachment 151807
I go through a case of those each winter using them in my shoes and pogies (covering over hands for cycling) during winter cycling. There are several brands of similar chem heaters but those are the best.

I don't know if you can find this
on the web anywhere but I thought it was great when I saw it.
Blimey 27 years ago.

If they think it's too cold to fly, point them to this. It was -20F-25F and blowing about 20mph. That was NOT the coldest day of flying that winter :).
My kids and grandkids are heading to Alaska today, going on the cruse. I sent them a snap shot from you video saying glad it's not winter. Beautiful scenery.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki