DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buy Mavic1 now or wait for Mavic2

Suchy101

Reactions
Considering past DJI history of, say Phantom series, where a new model is released pretty much less then every 12 months, is it wise to buy Mavic1 now or wait for Mavic 2 ?

To me it seems we are half way thought Mavic1 life cycle ?

Thoughts ?

I'm afraid nobody here on this forum can guarantee IF and WHEN Mavic 2 will appear, WHAT will it do, IF it will have flaws or not etc. I think this is only your decision and should not be influenced by others. Nobody else but you alone know WHEN and IF you really need a drone, WHAT will you use it for etc.

Do you want to fly the Mavic soon? Then, buy the current Mavic model. Can you wait 6-12 months to fly? Then, wait until the Mavic 2 is released and see which model will best fit your needs.

If you want a drone now, then buy it. If you don't need one now and can wait an undetermined amount of time, then get the Mavic 2/3/4/5/etc

Or buy the Mavic now, and then once the Mavic 2 comes out buy that also. Because you seem torn between the two, even though the Mavic 2 hasn't even been announced or anything.

okay I think I should add my perspective on things and where the question is coming from asking for Your opinions.

At present I own Phantom 2 Vision+. I am happy with it part from one significant issue : control and camera view range.

I thought I would sell it and get a second hand Phantom 4. I never considered Mavic as
1. I did not even know much about it
2. Price.

I figured if I sell my P2, I would only need to splash couple of hundred £ to get P4, But then once I started thinking about doing all that - I started doing some research.

Thes is where the Mvic comes in, mainly due to its form factor (portability), full DJI feature set and ... camera quality.

But the camera quality is also a negative for me. As far as I can tell it is definitely worse than P4. Now i just found out a lot of bluriness is caused by issues with optics that DJI is RMA'ing, but still. nit P4 level all considered.

By the way, how does Mavic camera compare to P2V+ ? For stills mostly, I know it can do 4k video. I am after which has better picture quality, not resolution.

Then there is the, in my opinion, totally unnecessary focus (which I think will be rid of in next iteration of Mavic)

And lastly the hover vs fly time - due to its unconventional rear prop arrangement (not level and at angle.)

TLDR :
Mavic 2 should have better and less annoying camera, and better flight parameters. Should also be same cost and probably not too long till its out?

So this is where I am coming from - wait or not?. I am not looking for a ground breaking breakthrough, but a simple "make things a bit better because we learnt from the first one approach".

Reactions: Jerry
I am with everyone else, buy and fly. I love my Mavic. The video quality on mine is phenomenal. I can pull it into Premiere Pro and tweak it a little and it is just as good or better quality than any of the other cameras I work with. It all comes down to what you are doing with it. If you are using it to fly missions for commercial work then you might have to do some extra post production tweaking to get it to look really great, but if you are just flying around, taking a few pictures for yourself or making videos to share with your friends, then there is no need to be critical of the camera or video quality. I know that some are having issues but I am not one of them.

I know the P4P has a much better camera and I could have gotten a P3 for half the cost of the Mavic, but... you won't find a more compact unit with as good of a camera as the Mavic has. I bought it because I can take it anywhere. I can throw it into a backpack, or a dry bag in my kayak or even in the console of the car and then when I want to use it I can be up and in the air in 5 minutes or less if need be.

As far as waiting for the Mavic 2, you may think the next rendition would be better than the first but what you may not have considered is that DJI could back up and downgrade the second one to lower the price point and make it more affordable. But that is just my two cents.

Want a 4k great picture with all bells and whistles of p4 pro? Buy p4 pro! Want a deluxe fold up selfie drone with pedigree buy Mavic 1!

Or wait and get Spark for indoor ultra mini flight with potentially an upgraded camera sensor. 27th [emoji39]

Personally I fly Inspire and need full gimbal control with modular gimbals, size is an issue but getting the shot is more important.

But the camera quality is also a negative for me. As far as I can tell it is definitely worse than P4. Now i just found out a lot of bluriness is caused by issues with optics that DJI is RMA'ing, but still. nit P4 level all considered.

A negative as compared to what exactly? I have a P3p and the cam on the Mavic is better than the P3p.

Then there is the, in my opinion, totally unnecessary focus (which I think will be rid of in next iteration of Mavic).
Unless you want different focal lengths then it is not so unnecessary. I did have an issue when I first started but now I have learned how to use it and guess what. The images are sharper than a camera with a fixed focal length.

Mavic 2 should have better and less annoying camera, and better flight parameters. Should also be same cost and probably not too long till its out?.

I have a question? What has your experience been with the camera? When you flew the one you are commenting about to you have problems getting focused photos/video? I had a problem the first few times but... after I acually paid attention to setting it up I didn't have any problems.

Last edited:
Why not just buy a parrot bebop. And enjoy the 60 yard range. Lol

It's only a few dollars just buy the mavic now

Quote: "Unless you want different focal lengths then it is not so unnecessary. I did have an issue when I first started but now I have learned how to use it and guess what. The images are sharper than a camera with a fixed focal length." Unquote:

The camera is a fixed focal length. It doesn't Change.
As for clarity and sharpness, I set sharpness to +1 and saturation and contrast to -1.

Considering past DJI history of, say Phantom series, where a new model is released pretty much less then every 12 months, is it wise to buy Mavic1 now or wait for Mavic 2 ?

To me it seems we are half way thought Mavic1 life cycle ?

Thoughts ?

I would wait until Mavic 417 comes out if I were you!

Just thinking that perhaps DJI will release first a Mavic1 Standard (non pro) before releasing later a Mavic2 Pro?

I think you should wait and buy something that you are ok with.
Quote: "Unless you want different focal lengths then it is not so unnecessary. I did have an issue when I first started but now I have learned how to use it and guess what. The images are sharper than a camera with a fixed focal length." Unquote:

The camera is a fixed focal length. It doesn't Change.
As for clarity and sharpness, I set sharpness to +1 and saturation and contrast to -1.
you are correct the aperature is set.. but you can set the focus at different areas to change the "focus" of your picture. If that appeals to you then it does have a function.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78