DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Calibration

Lets Fly

Reactions
I fly from my yard almost every time, and am always asked to calibrate, Is this really necessary?
Also, does anyone else get a little nervous when you have to spin a $1,000 around in a horizontal and vertical configuration
over concrete? Now I am pretty coordinated but one slip and there goes the props. I suppose it's the only way.

I fly from my yard almost every time, and am always asked to calibrate, Is this really necessary?
Also, does anyone else get a little nervous when you have to spin a $1,000 around in a horizontal and vertical configuration
over concrete? Now I am pretty coordinated but one slip and there goes the props. I suppose it's the only way.
no it don't bother me I got insurance on all my drones

Just what I was thinking, and maybe why OP always need to calibrate it? I try laughing for yard (get a yard stone if you like to leave you grass cut higher like I do. Or a landing pad.

My yard means my property. I take off from the pool deck, I'll try all grass from now on a pad.

You should be getting a Magnetic Interference error if you are too close to metal objects?

Let us know how that works. Screw in the pool deck may have been enough metal to throw off magnetics. So can
smart watches, phones, and other electronics. I leave all that stuff about 10 feet from where I am launching my drone.

My yard means my property. I take off from the pool deck, I'll try all grass from now on a pad.
If you had X-Ray vision, you'd notice the reinforced concrete deck is full of steel reinforcing.
That's what your compass keeps warning you about and calibrating the compass again and again won't ever fix the issue.
Look closely at the warning it's giving you.
Is it really telling you to calibrate the compass?
Or does it say Move aircraft or calibrate compass?
If it does, almost all of the time the correct action is to move away from the magnetic field the compass is warning you about.

Reactions: The Rolling Drones
See all the above please.
I calibrate by standing in the middle of my grass yard ad holding the drone in required positions while I rotate my body. Works like a champ. You do have to be able to see your display device.

yea just hold the drone in one hand and RC in other and turn your body around till the display changes to nose down and turn around a couple times and your good to go.

Reactions: Thomas B

If this is a Mavic Air then yea it’s normal and required. If Mavic Pro or M2 then no something else is wrong. I think I’ve calibrated my compass twice the entire time I’ve had it and it only asked me once to do it

Let us know how that works. Screw in the pool deck may have been enough metal to throw off magnetics. So can
smart watches, phones, and other electronics. I leave all that stuff about 10 feet from where I am launching my drone.

What is his pool deck made of? ANd is the deck over a concrete slab?

FWIW, I recalibrate the compass with the drone dance, hold it out horizontal and turn myself around gently 360 degrees clockwise. When prompted passing 360 degrees, I flip it to match the picture and turn around counter-clockwise to cancel out the dizziness from spinning an elder geek's seim-circular canals.

I wasn't having good luck standing still and rotating the drone in my hands, but read here about the drone dance and found it works 100%...

The deck is concrete, never had a problem returning to home. I did not conceder the rebar would make a difference. I also have a metal roof. The drone dance and pad on the grass it will be. Thanks for the feedback. Oh and yes its a Mavic Air.

The “drone dance”!
If this is a Mavic Air then yea it’s normal and required. If Mavic Pro or M2 then no something else is wrong. I think I’ve calibrated my compass twice the entire time I’ve had it and it only asked me once to do it
I disagree I very rarely have to calibrate My Mavic Air unless its near metal of course. I drive all over the place and don't have to calibrate.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanmeg