DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera system resets mid-flight...?

.. Are you recording 2.7 or 4k?

There is a Camera reset thread on the DJI forum. A guy posted a video yesterday of his camera reset event on a previous firmware. It is of interest because he provided the mobile device screen capture including the associated on screen telemetry. He is filming 4k/30fps at the time of the reset. When the camera comes back to life after 1 or 2 sec it is set at 4k/24fps. I dont see how a dodgy cable could miraculously change the frame rate. More likely a memory issue or coding bug of some sort triggered it. I woiuld be interested to see if anyone else can observe a spontaneous change in frame rate after a camera reset.

He is filming 4k/30fps at the time of the reset. When the camera comes back to life after 1 or 2 sec it is set at 4k/24fps. I dont see how a dodgy cable could miraculously change the frame rate. More likely a memory issue or coding bug of some sort triggered it.

My previous post was ignored it seems, but if you're one who actually takes the time to think about these things then you will probably be asking the same questions that I am. This isn't just a gimbal rest issue we're dealing with here. Settings are being reverted and the Home point of the Mavic changes to the location where the reset happened. Sounds like a momentary power failure to me...

I've had my Mavic since April 21st and for the most part it's been working absolutely perfect, zero complaints up until recently. Just out of the blue it starts doing this gimbal rest glitch all of a sudden. It hasn't once happened at the 4GB file limit split point, it usually occurs within 2 to 3 mins of starting the recording (4K/24). I should mention that previously I had been shooting mostly in 2.7K because it's easier to work with if you're just messing around. I did shoot quite a bit of 4K in the past though and never experienced this glitch.

I was on .700 firmware the whole time I owned it and just recently upgraded to .1000 but I haven't flown enough yet to determine if the issue was solved. I currently doubt it was solved based on feedback on this and DJI's forums but after updating all of my batteries on 0.900 it hasn't happen again yet *knock on wood*. Let's see how it goes with .1000..

I found it funny that shortly after I mentioned the battery as the possible cause of the camera reset issue, a new firmware was released with a fix for it and an update for DJI Go was released.

What I find interesting is that right when I was about to update to v1.03.1000 to test it out I was prompted for a DJI Go update and when I started the app after updating a prompt came up saying that inconsistent firmware was found with the slider to update. I did the update, powered down and swapped to another battery and DJI Go again gave me the message about inconsistent firmware.

So it looks like it was the batteries that had the inconsistent firmware and after updating all 3 batteries and before installing the .1000 fw update I ran through those 3 batteries and never experienced the reset issue. The batteries not updating properly during previous firmware updates could cause a power sync issue with any of the ACs subsystems and perhaps the gimbal/camera assembly is most susceptible to shifts in voltage or current.

I'm gonna do a few more flights before I update to the latest fw just to see if my theory holds any ground. And yes it's just a theory, but it makes more sense than others I've read based on my experience.

Last edited:
I had two camera gimbal resets in flight in the past 24 hours after a couple of months of trouble free flight. The full monty with camera cycling, gimbal all over the shop and some camera settings defaulting. The first happened shortly after formatting my 64gb Samsung SD card to empty it. I had not reformatted it for perhaps 30 troublefree flights. Formatted with DJIGo4 from iPad which I rarely do. Second event occurred today a minute into a flight the instant I hit the record button. So I reformatted it again immediately after the reset while on the wing using DJIGo4 Android. Been fine since. Seems formatting the SD may have been the catalyst which is a bit weird.

Since May i still experience gimbal reset. For me its a hardware issue its time to return it to dji :(

Since May i still experience gimbal reset. For me its a hardware issue its time to return it to dji :(
Send it in and get it fixed then.
For my unit it seems to be related to file creation events and formatting my SD card may be implicated too.

Firmware .1000 at 4k/30 and the camera reset itself and the gimbal recalibrated itself. Iddo recording stopped at exactly 4GB

Looks like issue is still there.

So has anyone figured out exactly what is causing the Mavic to reset its gimbal during flight? I have a different sd card in it can that truly be the problem? wouldn't think so but ya never know

I had two camera gimbal resets in flight in the past 24 hours after a couple of months of trouble free flight. The full monty with camera cycling, gimbal all over the shop and some camera settings defaulting. The first happened shortly after formatting my 64gb Samsung SD card to empty it. I had not reformatted it for perhaps 30 troublefree flights. Formatted with DJIGo4 from iPad which I rarely do. Second event occurred today a minute into a flight the instant I hit the record button. So I reformatted it again immediately after the reset while on the wing using DJIGo4 Android. Been fine since. Seems formatting the SD may have been the catalyst which is a bit weird.
Can this be why? I am not using the original card and I just formatted before lift off when my mavic did the gimbal reset durning flight. Can this be the glitch?

Hi everyone,
I faced this issue once. It never happened to me before.
The only difference from all previous flights was just that I was using a not completely charged battery. I charged that battery at about 90% and unplugged it. (unplugged when 4th led blinking)

The verdict: 64GB SD cards with exfat are the culprit — changing to SD cards with FAT32 makes gimble-reset to disappear completely !

The verdict: 64GB SD cards with exfat are the culprit — changing to SD cards with FAT32 makes gimble-reset to disappear completely !
Would be good news. How did you reach this conclusion? What format does the DJI Go app re-format in?

Would be good news. How did you reach this conclusion? What format does the DJI Go app re-format in?

Um...yeah. I haven't verified this yet, but I'm guessing that tha Mavic already formats in FAT32 - for the simple reason that exFAT doesn't have the 4G file size limit that we all keep talking about.

so far it's working, thanks for the tip ;)

my experience is very similar to the rest of you:
- original 16 GB Sandisk card - no problems
- switching to 64 GB U3 card (exFAT) - 2 problems in 3 flights (both times at 2nd to 3rd file split)
- same 64 GB card formatted to FAT32 - no problems in 3 flights

I hope I'll see gimbal resets no more

Reactions: fiberdude
so far it's working, thanks for the tip ;)

my experience is very similar to the rest of you:
- original 16 GB Sandisk card - no problems
- switching to 64 GB U3 card (exFAT) - 2 problems in 3 flights (both times at 2nd to 3rd file split)
- same 64 GB card formatted to FAT32 - no problems in 3 flights

I hope I'll see gimbal resets no more

Glad that it worked out for you.

The is only an MP issue. I also own a Phantom 4 Pro, and I have tried SD cards from 1GB to 64GB exfat without encountering any gimbal resets.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom