DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can a new pilot get some help?

Mattypan

Reactions
What are the three circles shown? I know they are airports at the center of them both. I see a light shaded green circle which is where my house and local park is. Then there is the yellow circle. Finally the dark red circle. What do they mean to me as far as being able to fly? Just got my drone and have been reading up.

Thanks,
Matt

IMG_1271.jpg

Last edited:
What are the three circles shown? I know they are airports at the center of them both. I see a light shaded green circle which is where my house and local park is. Then there is the yellow circle. Finally the dark red circle. What do they mean to me as far as being able to fly? Just got my drone and have been reading up.

Thanks,
Matt

View attachment 10161
You will get a warning in the yellow and have to click some boxes to accept responsibility, no fly in the red (your Mavic will not take off) all good in the green.

Small dark red circle I am not familiar with. Hmm... Sorry, a no fly zone of some sort? Antenna or sports arena or "important infrastructure?"

So, I don't need to worry about calling up the airport or anything like that if I am in the green shaded area?

So, I don't need to worry about calling up the airport or anything like that if I am in the green shaded area?
No, the Mavic has a built-in system, enabled by default, that will not allow you to fly in areas you should not.

Here is a link to the DJI Geo Map site - find your area on the map and below it are descriptions of each color coded area. Basically it is Green - warning area Yellow - authorization area, and Red - no fly zone.

As far as airport notifications - if you are a hobby flyer you are required to notify an airport any time you are flying within 5 miles of that airport. Different rules apply to Part 107 (commercial) flights. There are apps such as hover or kittyhawk that can help you with this.

Here is a link to the DJI Geo Map site - find your area on the map and below it are descriptions of each color coded area. Basically it is Green - warning area Yellow - authorization area, and Red - no fly zone.

As far as airport notifications - if you are a hobby flyer you are required to notify an airport any time you are flying within 5 miles of that airport. Different rules apply to Part 107 (commercial) flights. There are apps such as hover or kittyhawk that can help you with this.

Oops forgot the link - here it is......

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

My theory now is that the light green circle is the 5 mile radius of the 2 airports. I checked in the hover app and there are the same two circles but just orange. So I need to call the airport it seems. In the hover app when I click the orange circle it gives me a phone number. I assume that is the place to call? According to the FAA site I need to call the air traffic operator,and the tower. I only see one number on the hover app.

Well there we go. I am in an enhanced warning zone. Is the hover app the best way to get the contact numbers for the airport or are there better resources for that info?

IMG_0508.PNG

My theory now is that the light green circle is the 5 mile radius of the 2 airports. I checked in the hover app and there are the same two circles but just orange. So I need to call the airport it seems. In the hover app when I click the orange circle it gives me a phone number. I assume that is the place to call? According to the FAA site I need to call the air traffic operator,and the tower. I only see one number on the hover app.

I think that is probably because many airports do not have towers, and also the tower phones are not always readily available. Suggestion would be to contact the airport operations number and they can tell you if there is a tower and how to contact.

The Hover App contact numbers seem to be pretty good - another source of complete airport info is airnav,com.

Why don't you down load the app drone assist it gives you full info of flying areas and a reason.

Well, first flight was great! I ended up calling the operator at the airport that transferred me to some other guy that gave me the number to the FAA at the airport and he took my information no problem. today was just me getting used to the controls and getting it in the air. It was pretty windy but it flew great. I recorded a couple videos but they barely even ran on my PC. Very slow and choppy. Granted, my PC is old and janky. Thanks for all the help and advice everyone.

Last edited:
Well, first flight was great! I ended up calling the operator at the airport that transferred me to some other guy that gave me the number to the FAA at the airport and he took my information no problem. today was just me getting used to the controls and getting it in the air. It was pretty windy but it flew great. I recorded a couple videos but they barely even ran on my PC. Very slow and choppy. Granted, my PC is old and janky. Thanks for all the help and advise everyone.

Congrats on the first flight! You are not alone on the PC issue. My four year old system only handles 1080 so gonna have to upgrade soon.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark