DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I take my Mav on Royal Caribbean Cruise?

They could have tightened the policy or it may have something to do with the ports of call of a specific itinerary. I have already researched this as well, so for example, in Spain you need to obtain a local permit before you fly a drone anywhere otherwise you will face an expensive fine. But other ports of calls on this trip would be fair game.

Again, it's my risk to take. Once I had left the ship and left the port facility I'm just like any other tourist in a foreign country. RC has no jurisdiction on my activities until I report back on board.

BTW if you haven't seen this story, please read. It's important to familiarize yourself with the local laws regarding drone flights, permits, etc. Of course this is Cuba and this dude should have known better in the first place but it's just my humble opinion.

Tourist Spends 13 Days in a Cuban Prison for Flying His Drone in Havana

They could have tightened the policy or it may have something to do with the ports of call of a specific itinerary. I have already researched this as well, so for example, in Spain you need to obtain a local permit before you fly a drone anywhere otherwise you will face an expensive fine. But other ports of calls on this trip would be fair game.

Again, it's my risk to take. Once I had left the ship and left the port facility I'm just like any other tourist in a foreign country. RC has no jurisdiction on my activities until I report back on board.

BTW if you haven't seen this story, please read. It's important to familiarize yourself with the local laws regarding drone flights, permits, etc. Of course this is Cuba and this dude should have known better in the first place but it's just my humble opinion.

Tourist Spends 13 Days in a Cuban Prison for Flying His Drone in Havana
yeah i saw this awhile back dude traveled all over the world and it never crossed his mind to do a simple Google search lol.

Also the drone rules an regulations will most likely get tighter because we have people posting videos of illegal flights, posting them because they're thirsty for likes and many are H5ing and encouraging this, so for the people trying to follow the rules a regulations are already screwed theres no where to fly because some jerk already screwed it up.

Agreed, but a knee-jerk reaction like this only affects the 99.9% of responsible operators who actually care about that in the first place. Instead of enforcing the laws and making an example of these idiots to send a message, yet again everyone else is getting screwed. A very familiar theme if ever was one.

It also occurred to me how morbidly stupid this thing is. Considering that you can pretty much take the Mavic with you on any commercial airliner properly secured and packaged for transport--of course you would not try to fly it inside the airport or on the plane itself--but you cannot do the same on a giant cruise liner. Yeah, makes total sense...:confused:

I took my Mavic on a 7 day last May. Took it in my checked in luggage in the factory case. No issues. Then I read the policy about no drones.... put the box in my go bag and flew it in St Martin. No issues either way. Always ask and don't be stupid with it.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh