DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canadian regulations clarified...or are they??

Golfnut

Reactions
I wrote to a Federal MP regarding the proposed and ridiculously oppressive Canadian drone regulations. Here is her response. Looks like we don't have to worry, at least for now....or do we??

On Jun 5, 2017, at 1:23 PM, <[email protected]> <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi John,
Thank you for writing to my office regarding regulations on personal drone use. I appreciate your interest and commend your civic engagement.
I recognize that personal drones are becoming popular with Canadians and are increasingly important to our local economies. However, flying a drone near an airport without permission could present an unnecessary danger to the public and other airspace users. The government is committed to the safety of our airspace, and so we are becoming leaders in drone safety by taking measures to integrate drones safely into the shared Canadian airspace.
While I recognize you are not living near an airport, we do need to explore regulations that include those who do. We are exploring changes to regulations, such as establishing different categories of drones, simplifying the registration process for operations, and instituting marking requirements. The new regulations state that if your aircraft weighs 35 kg or less and is used for the fun of flying only, you don’t need permission from Transport Canada. Therefore, if your drone meets those guidelines, you will not have to register it.
For more information on drone registration and regulations, you can visit Drone Safety - Transport Canada.
The government is planning to introduce more comprehensive and permissive regulations in June that will set requirements according to the level of risk, including more lenient requirements for lower-risk operations.
Thanks again for sharing your concerns. I am proud to represent you in Ottawa.
Sincerely,
Pam

Reactions: Pathogen
Dear Nut, it is great that she actually wrote which seems like an informed and educated response. As the end of June is nearing, it will be interesting to see what ratifications come out in the next set of rules.

For me, the real ZINGER is the restriction of 5 nm from ANY location deemed an aerodrome be it land or sea. Regardless of altitude. That is absolutely stupid and makes no sense. I fly full size aircraft and there is zero risk of interaction with aircraft up to 1000' AGL within 3 miles of an airport. I live just outside the 5 miles of CYKF but 2 miles from a private airfield and 2 miles from a lake that hosts float planes so legally, no fly zone.

It has honestly taken the fun of flying the Mavic out of it for me and it spends most of its time in the box. It was a real buzz kill and I sure hope it loosens up because if you really look at the overlying aerodrome maps with the 5 mile circles, I think I have to drive about 20 miles West of Kitchener to find a patch of dirt where I can fly.

Nonsense.

I am heading to Ireland and Iceland in September and taking the Mavic. These are the new rules for Iceland. Imagine.....they actually make practical sense.

New rules on the use of aerial drones in Iceland announced

Well this could be great news for us. I think it is far more practical to have reasonable laws that responsible folk are supportive of, rather than irrational ones that inspire people to ignore.

SO when does the 34.9kg "DJI Behemoth" drone get released?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78