DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canadian UAV Operators Organization to Parallel MAAC?

If there was an organization such as the one proposed in this threads opening post, would you join?

• Yes, it's a great idea!

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Yes, and I'd also be interested in helping out somehow!

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Maybe, would depend on specifics (please post and elaborate!)

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • No, not interested (if so, please post, would love to know why!)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Glasswalker

Reactions
UPDATE: See end of this post for link to the new UUAG website!

So I've been thinking, and from what I can find, this doesn't exist...

The new laws are poorly written, I think we can all agree on that. And one of the issues is that we as a community don't have a unified voice for dealing with legislators in Canada on even footing.

MAAC clearly has some power in Canada to affect legislation, as the new Interrim laws clearly have blanket MAAC exemption for members on their registered fields, or at their events. But MAAC policies/structure doesn't align well to our common use cases for Drones.

I think it's great that DJI has stepped up and sponsored NODE - Dedicated to ensuring fair and responsible drone regulations which is an international campaign group for users, to help giving force to the industry to help in swaying legislators. But MAAC offers model aircraft hobbyists more than simply a voice... And the "More" part may actually contribute to how they have gained some power over legislators.

What MAAC brings includes:
  • Potential Legal representation
  • Lobbyists
  • Insurance for it's members when operating under it's rules (included in dues)
  • Safety knowledge, and information
  • Internal, community driven governance structure, which the legislators can "rely on"
  • Communications channels
  • Mechanism for registering/planning events
Etc...

I think what this hobby needs is a "MAAC Equivalent" in Canada, specifically focused on Drone use, and our specific use cases, needs, and interests. (perhaps both Recreational and Commercial). NODE is great, but it appears to be primarily a lobbying vehicle on the international stage (which is also very much needed)

Some potential benefits/considerations that may be possible with such an organization if it were to get sufficient traction in user base (and if MAAC can succeed at this, I see no reason we couldn't as I strongly suspect Drone users already outnumber conventional RC Model Aircraft Hobbyists, and our numbers are growing rapidly as the technology makes it more accessible to the average consumer).

• Ability to provide training/information which can help prepare for (upcoming) licensing/registration requirements in legislation
  • Training can accompany certification for membership. This would help document that you've gone through the trouble to become aware of laws, regulations, and safe operating procedures (as well as basic skills)
  • Group rate on liability insurance, and possibly loss insurance (potentially additional discounts, because we can offer better assurances that safety training is completed, and regulations are in place)
  • Registration database (to suppliment the likely lacking one the government will put in place) allowing a "I lost my drone" and "I found a drone" registry
  • Event registration/planning and communication with authorities
  • Easy Community communications channel
  • Ability to affiliate with forums such as these, vendors, and global scale groups such as NODE
  • Affiliate with Racing community as well, to unify that community, through FPV Canada and other racing league organizations
  • Keep a registry of known safe and experienced commercial fliers, and a bit of a freelance job board for Drone Photographers, Surveyors, Videographers, etc in Canada.
I would love to hear other thoughts on this, and if anyone else agrees this is a good idea. I've put a poll above for feedback.

UPDATE:
Just an update to this for those who expressed interest. I've jump-started the website. We have a more detailed survey and pre-registration process up. I'm already working with several community groups, and local Canadian Youtube Channels, etc, to get the word spread.

If you're interested in supporting this movement to get Canada some better drone laws, and support the safe enjoyment of our hobby, please hit up the site, feel free to contact me here, or via the site with questions, and please fill out the survey and pre-registration!

Thanks!

Site: UUAG – United Un-manned Aviators Guild
Stands for United Un-manned Aviators Guild
(I like to pronounce it "Wag")

Last edited:
Just a quick update on this, I just ran through some basic feasibility numbers, I'll need to reach out to a few insurance underwriters to verify some numbers, and viability of the insurance part. But ultimately I think as a non-profit it's viable with membership dues annually that would be significantly cheaper than the insurance would be on it's own (which would be included in membership) for either commercial or recreational (and would satisfy the government requirements). Other benefits would be icing on the cake...

So far looking positive, but not a lot of responses yet. Need your feedback on this :) (I don't mind getting it rolling, but need to know who's interested, and likely would need help).

Reactions: wheels
Another quick update... Looks like this method isn't getting much traction on the comments, but has generally positive feedback (and people willing to help). So time to take the plunge and put my money where my mouth is...

Ok, so taking this to the next level. Next week I'll be registering a domain, and getting a website up and running, with the ability for users to sign up their initial interest in joining, and gather some quick survey data about what people want from such an organization.

I can then use that as a platform to begin real conversations with sites (such as this one, and the related forums in this family), as well as organizations (insurance companies, etc) to start nailing down real numbers.

Some of that will be a bit "Chicken and egg" hence the "registering preliminary interest", I can use those numbers to drive negotiations with insurance underwriters, etc, to get real facts in place, then I can reach back out to that potential user-base to turn it into real membership.

Count me in. I would join an organization such as this if it existed. I am currently a member of MAAC and ERCS (Edmonton Remote Control Society). I fly strictly at the regulated fields as I am to terrified of getting caught flying illegally.

Just an update to this for those who expressed interest. I've jump-started the website. We have a more detailed survey and pre-registration process up. I'm already working with several community groups, and local Canadian Youtube Channels, etc, to get the word spread.

If you're interested in supporting this movement to get Canada some better drone laws, and support the safe enjoyment of our hobby, please hit up the site, feel free to contact me here, or via the site with questions, and please fill out the survey and pre-registration!

Thanks!

Site: UUAG – United Un-manned Aviators Guild
Stands for United Un-manned Aviators Guild
(I like to pronounce it "Wag")

Good idea. I'm interested. MAAC IMO have screwed drone users with their viewpoint which is based on RC technique and evolution. What we're doing (at least with advanced drones and people who think safety) is not at all the MAAC traditional view of things. Their might will crush us and our intentions.

Good idea. I'm interested. MAAC IMO have screwed drone users with their viewpoint which is based on RC technique and evolution. What we're doing (at least with advanced drones and people who think safety) is not at all the MAAC traditional view of things. Their might will crush us and our intentions.

Actually funny thing is many MAAC members are also Drone fliers. But the local clubs tend to have a higher population of traditional RC fliers who want nothing to do with drones, and feel like the proliferation of cheap, easy to fly tech is "diluting" their hobby.

This has held MAAC back from real traction on Drones. (they have had a seat for a comitttee to work out UAV stuff for a while now, it's been empty for past couple years). Nobody there wants to touch it.

That said, there are FAR more drone users now than there are traditional RC fliers... Looking at DJI sales numbers in north america alone, we likely already outnumber them 5 to 1.

if MAAC can get themselves positioned with special consideration by Transport Canada, so can we! We just need to get the word out, and get numbers on our side.

This first round is just me trying to get interest, gauge numbers and gather some info/statistics.

From that I can leverage those numbers/statistics to negotiate deals with insurance, vendors, partners, etc. And have enough benefits to make it valuable for more members.

With enough members we can begin approaching law enforcement, and Transport Canada to be taken seriously.

Actually funny thing is many MAAC members are also Drone fliers. But the local clubs tend to have a higher population of traditional RC fliers who want nothing to do with drones, and feel like the proliferation of cheap, easy to fly tech is "diluting" their hobby.

This has held MAAC back from real traction on Drones. (they have had a seat for a comitttee to work out UAV stuff for a while now, it's been empty for past couple years). Nobody there wants to touch it.

That said, there are FAR more drone users now than there are traditional RC fliers... Looking at DJI sales numbers in north america alone, we likely already outnumber them 5 to 1.

if MAAC can get themselves positioned with special consideration by Transport Canada, so can we! We just need to get the word out, and get numbers on our side.

This first round is just me trying to get interest, gauge numbers and gather some info/statistics.

From that I can leverage those numbers/statistics to negotiate deals with insurance, vendors, partners, etc. And have enough benefits to make it valuable for more members.

With enough members we can begin approaching law enforcement, and Transport Canada to be taken seriously.

Thanks for confirming how MAAC is F'ing drone flyers in Canada.

BTW: ironically, while access to drones to fly them makes for great numbers, it also makes for great numbers of careless people who will not want to join anything that would also be part of rule making - since those members would have to follow the rules even if looser that the current morass.

Thanks for confirming how MAAC is F'ing drone flyers in Canada.

BTW: ironically, while access to drones to fly them makes for great numbers, it also makes for great numbers of careless people who will not want to join anything that would also be part of rule making - since those members would have to follow the rules even if looser that the current morass.

I agree, and honestly that's the main reason the public fears drones now. Is too many yahoos who don't care about anyone else, and just want to buy a toy and do whatever they want with it.

That's unavoidable, but I still think those of us responsibly using drones, outnumber those flying traditional RC aircraft.

I think there is a real opportunity to stand up for our hobby, and fight for the freedom to enjoy it in a way that's still safe and responsible.

You're right though, not everyone will like anything working on rules/regulations. But the fact of the matter is (proven by the recent changes) that laws/regulations are here to stay. And they will only get tighter...

Without someone fighting back in a controlled and responsible way, proving we're not just a pile of crazy people who like to buzz airplanes, we'll never be able to get control of it, and ensure we can still enjoy this.

So before things progress too far, there are other groups exploring the very same avenue as what Glasswalker is looking to do. We have discussed a few options including the CFDR which is an existing Canadian drone advocacy group looking to possibly expand to include all types of drone related activities and not just drone racing which it originally started up as. If you haven't done so already, join the Facebook group "Organization for Canadian Drone Users, Park Flyers and Other RC Aviators" . Its better to have one big voice than many small voices. Let's coordinate and come togather as best we can. (sorry, the below link will take you to the facebook group page, despite what it says...i'll try to fix that)

Kinakailangan ang Pagtiyak sa Seguridad

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J