DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't erase files on SD card

nikkolaa

Reactions
Hey guys,
While getting use of my new MP, I realized today I can't erase files from the SD card of MP directly from computer..

Do I need dji assistant to do such move, or is it something else tricky?

Cheers, Nicolas

I had this same problem. It could be this - there is a small switch on the side of the SD Card sleeve. Slide that up or down and files will be locked or able to be deleted. Hope that is the problem and not something worse.

What exactly is it doing? I just pop the card into my computer and drag the files into a folder I created. They show they are removed from the card. HOWEVER, after I put the SD card back in the Mavic and fired it up, the remote said “SD card Full”. I couldn’t figure it out for the longest time. What I ended up doing was just reformatting the SD card in the Mavic, and it wiped it clean.

What exactly is it doing? I just pop the card into my computer and drag the files into a folder I created. They show they are removed from the card.

Normally I do this in two steps: 1) copy the files from your SD card onto your hard drive, and then 2) delete the files from the SD card. If you're trying to move the files from the SD card to your HD in one step it might not work. Might be worth a try.

There was another thread on this 2 days ago, but now I can't find it. I wound up having to put the Micro SD in a windows machine, and delete a bunch of trash which did not erase correctly when I deleted the files on my MacBook Pro. Some others have had to re-format. Not sure why this seems to be a recent problem - perhaps the recent DJI app update?

There was another thread on this 2 days ago, but now I can't find it. I wound up having to put the Micro SD in a windows machine, and delete a bunch of trash which did not erase correctly when I deleted the files on my MacBook Pro. Some others have had to re-format. Not sure why this seems to be a recent problem - perhaps the recent DJI app update?

I will try this as well. I had deleted the file through MacBook Pro but like you I was getting card full message, it ended up formatting it in mavic. Will try windows machine next time.

I transfer files from the MP to my PC by removing the card from the MP and putting it into the PC.
I always COPY the files to the PC rather than MOVE them just in case the MOVE goes badly. Then you will have lost everything. Copy the files, verify they are on your PC and then re format the sd card in the PC. This restores it to as bought status and you'll be good to go.

Reactions: Kilrah
I will try this as well. I had deleted the file through MacBook Pro but like you I was getting card full message, it ended up formatting it in mavic. Will try windows machine next time.
I have had some issue with my Inspire after deleting files from the SD card using macOS High Sierra! I make sure that I empty the trash on the Mac after deleting files form SD card and I format the SD card in the Aircraft that I am using it in. This is the process that I use each time on my Mavic and Inspire and have had no issues.

Cheers

I found the Mac identifies them as FAT32 which you can't actually format on a Mac the options being FAT or ExFAT, disk utility refuses to format them in either of the other two. You have to format them MacOS Extended first then reformat them MS-DOS FAT, it will then format them and report (FAT32).

Personally I just format them in the Mavic, then I know it will work, moving files to trash only deletes them in HighSierra if you empty the trash before you eject the card it seems.

I had problems with my Mavic when I deleted or altered an SD card on my PC. It actually caused odd problems with the camera. I could copy files fine, but I no longer delete or change file names through my laptop. I leave the formatting up to the Mavic and have had no further problems.

Gotta note that there are 2 people already telling to check about the side switch... on a microSD. Context much?

I always take the card out and in a reader, never an issue. It's possible using the USB cable to mavic that writes are prevented, many cameras behave like that to avoid muser errors / accidental deletions. You could delete from the GO4 app if you really don't want to take the card out.

Finally I formated it in mavic though dji go app, worked fine.
I downloaded the files before, with SD card reader on computer..

It's real quick to format it from mavic, like one sec!

I have had some issue with my Inspire after deleting files from the SD card using macOS High Sierra! I make sure that I empty the trash on the Mac after deleting files form SD card and I format the SD card in the Aircraft that I am using it in. This is the process that I use each time on my Mavic and Inspire and have had no issues.

Cheers

I am also using macOS High Sierra. I don’t have to format the SD cards from my Nikon DSLR or Panasonic video camera following same copy/delete routine. But in case of Mavic, either Mavic doesn’t read the file system and assume free space from previous use or something else causes it to flag space issue. Formatting helps but we don’t have to format after every use.

I will try deleting files in Mac then try to read SD card in Windows, if they show up then Mac is not doing its job, else Mavic has some issues with reading free space.

I am also using a macbook. I was just wondering why my sd card showed 10 gbs in use when i deleted all the files on it. I found out that when showing hidden files you can see a .trashes folder where all the deleted files where moved. When emptying this, the sd card was empty again. I guess this will also be emptied when you empty the thrash on your macbook but i have to investigate further.

Yes, macs keep a trash for SD cards unlike Windows, so you have to empty the trash after deleting in order for the files to be actually deleted.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bant18